• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
ice&fire said:
Accoding to El Periodic, the stage in Andorra will include 4km of sterrato connecting the climbs of Engolasters and Cortals d'Encamp.

https://www.elperiodic.ad/noticia/68720/lavueltatindra-el-primer-tram-de-sterrato-de-la-seva-historia-a-andorra

The final climbs will be Comella, Engolasters and Cortals d'Encamp and the only flat between those climbs will be the sterrato section.
So Unipublic looke at the dumbass gimmick in the Tour, said "Hold my cerveza" and is actually trying to do it well?

Just slap 2/3 of the known Andorra regular climbs before that and it's great.

Crossing fingers for the grid start!

I know that it doesn't have much of a purpose, since the winner of la combinada almost always was the overall victor of the race, but I found it attractive because of its uniqueness. If they could keep the classification, but with a blue (or whatever color) jersey, that could be nice. But in general, a combination classification would be more interesting, if there were different contenders to the jerseys, like in the Tour (points jersey won/contended by sprinters, climbers/breakaway riders battling it out for the polka-dot, white/yellow for GC). So in the end, I get why they changed it.

Re:

Simurgh said:
I know that it doesn't have much of a purpose, since the winner of la combinada almost always was the overall victor of the race, but I found it attractive because of its uniqueness. If they could keep the classification, but with a blue (or whatever color) jersey, that could be nice. But in general, a combination classification would be more interesting, if there were different contenders to the jerseys, like in the Tour (points jersey won/contended by sprinters, climbers/breakaway riders battling it out for the polka-dot, white/yellow for GC). So in the end, I get why they changed it.
UCI limits the number of jerseys to 4.
According to Guillén they stuck to the combinada because of the sponsor, but they've changed the white jersey sponsor for next year.

Sub-100km stages, just in case anybody thought this was an endurance sport
Replacing one devalued classification with a worthless one that doesn't add anything to the race seeing as it's just a second GC award anyway

The combinada was supposed to reward the most consistent or all-round rider, but has been devalued by a number of trends in modern cycling that made it somewhat redundant, but the best young rider jersey doesn't add anything to a race because it is by definition handed out based on the GC, which people will likely be fighting for anyway, unless the best young riders are GC-irrelevant, in which case the battle for that jersey won't get any airtime anyway, like when Seeldraeyers won it in the '09 Giro. Christ, give us an Intergiro, or a Giro-style combinada, or an Activity Classification, even Metas Volantes. Do something rather than just the laziest option, for once.

Not feeling too enthused about this one.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Sub-100km stages, just in case anybody thought this was an endurance sport
Replacing one devalued classification with a worthless one that doesn't add anything to the race seeing as it's just a second GC award anyway

The combinada was supposed to reward the most consistent or all-round rider, but has been devalued by a number of trends in modern cycling that made it somewhat redundant, but the best young rider jersey doesn't add anything to a race because it is by definition handed out based on the GC, which people will likely be fighting for anyway, unless the best young riders are GC-irrelevant, in which case the battle for that jersey won't get any airtime anyway, like when Seeldraeyers won it in the '09 Giro. Christ, give us an Intergiro, or a Giro-style combinada, or an Activity Classification, even Metas Volantes. Do something rather than just the laziest option, for once.

Not feeling too enthused about this one.

I agree, or maybe let us come up with something more interesting. Like maybe something for most time in the breaks, or something that has nothing to do with GC.

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
ice&fire said:

Says 19.00 CET on the web site https://www.lavuelta.es/es/noticias/2018/la-vuelta-19-save-the-date-19-12-2019-2/16681 - mind you, if it's like the TdF, the first hour will be "missable" :)

I also thougth it would be at 19:00, but after I saw that link I checked the Spanish TV schedule and they had it at 19:30. Today they've removed it but... they have the Real Madrid game in the Club World Cup at 17:30. It looks like Unipublic scheduled the presentation without properly checking other relevant sport events.

Unipublic must have enforced a no-leaks agreement with the host towns and all those involved in the route design. If we needed further proof we just have to check the cycling section in AS web site. Every year they have a map with the route early in the presentation day. Today they have this:

1545172760_614108_1545174229_sumario_normal.jpg

So the final days will be Guadarrama, Toledo, Gredos.

Re:

ice&fire said:

Shite. I can understand some of the arguements used for shorter mountain stages, and can approve short and well-designed mountain stages of perhaps 120-150 km. But sub 100k is just pathetic. A 2-2,5 hour ride is just too short.

TRENDING THREADS