• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Giro and Vuelta wildcards are always interesting - Giro invited Bardiani back in 2018 after their issues in 2017 - and we have a similar situation with Burgos.
Bardiani have Cipo backing them up. They are riding on his bikes and he still has a lot of influence and contacts. That is probably also the main reason why they got a wildcard over NS, who no longer have an italian bike manufacturer to support their claim.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
yaco said:
Giro and Vuelta wildcards are always interesting - Giro invited Bardiani back in 2018 after their issues in 2017 - and we have a similar situation with Burgos.
Bardiani have Cipo backing them up. They are riding on his bikes and he still has a lot of influence and contacts. That is probably also the main reason why they got a wildcard over NS, who no longer have an italian bike manufacturer to support their claim.

I have no issue with Bardiani riding the 2019 Giro but surely you should miss one Giro for Misdeeds.

I for some reason missed this during my studies and only checked the route detailed now and there are some really nice stages. There are still many negatives but this is much better than 2016 and 2018 and similar to 2015 and 2017 so I will focus on positives.

I like stage 2. A good stage for stage hunters early in the race.
Stage 5 is a nice, tough MTF to make gaps early.
Stage 9 even though extremely short for my liking has the Gallina-Engolasters combo with an additional ramp to Els Cortals. Here is a question. When I was making stages, I checked out this road from Engolasters to Els Cortals but it looked like it was a national park road and it didn't look like you were allowed to enter the road. Did anything change or did I assume wrong?

The stage to Bilbao is good even though I fear the racing may be neutered because of the next stage.
The stage to Acebo is really nice, a multi mountain stage that uses some really nice climbs like Connio and Pozo de las Mujeres Muertas which are very underused climbs.
I am very happy seeing Cubilla being used in Vuelta and like the stage as well with Marabio and Cobertoria before.

The Sierra de Madrid stages are also nice. Stage 18 is a clone of Cercedilla '15 and stage 20 has Pena Negra with a finish in Plataforma de Gredos which I like even though I would have liked the mid part of stage to be harder and finish in Parador de Gredos.

I like the route as well. I think stage 18 has to have the perfect circumstances to be a good stage, but stage 20 is kinda nice. The only negative is 3 flat stages out of the last 5 stages, but apart from that it should be a great race to follow (as usualI might add, I like the Vuelta).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I like the route as well. I think stage 18 has to have the perfect circumstances to be a good stage, but stage 20 is kinda nice. The only negative is 3 flat stages out of the last 5 stages, but apart from that it should be a great race to follow (as usualI might add, I like the Vuelta).
The easy third week approach worked really well in 2015 so hopefully it will again this year.

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
The easy third week approach worked really well in 2015 so hopefully it will again this year.
Hard to look at 2015 and not look at the sheer coincidence that Dumoulin happened to be there.

I fear that if it's reasonably close between climbers the last week just doesn't have any stretches where it's hard enough to do much.

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Not so sure about that as Fabio Aru fluked his way to a Grand Tour win that will be looked back on as one of the most anomalous of the entire decade done almost entirely on team strength and something he has never looked like repeating since.

hayneplane said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Not so sure about that as Fabio Aru fluked his way to a Grand Tour win that will be looked back on as one of the most anomalous of the entire decade done almost entirely on team strength and something he has never looked like repeating since.
Not really, it was his third podium and his fourth straight GT top 5. People are more likely to say, "what happened after that?" as he's only managed one top 10 since despite only being 25 when he won his GT, but he's not an anomaly like Horner, Cobo AND Froome in 2011, Hesjedal who only had one top 10 and two top 20s before winning a GT at 31, or even Geraint Thomas, who won the Tour in his first GT top 10, at the age of 32.

Libertine Seguros said:
hayneplane said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Not really, it was his third podium and his fourth straight GT top 5. People are more likely to say, "what happened after that?" as he's only managed one top 10 since despite only being 25 when he won his GT, but he's not an anomaly like Horner, Cobo AND Froome in 2011, Hesjedal who only had one top 10 and two top 20s before winning a GT at 31, or even Geraint Thomas, who won the Tour in his first GT top 10, at the age of 32.

Yes, people have short memories.

As for the route, I like them being less back loaded, so a big tick to this Vuelta.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hard to look at 2015 and not look at the sheer coincidence that Dumoulin happened to be there.

I fear that if it's reasonably close between climbers the last week just doesn't have any stretches where it's hard enough to do much.
This. You couldn't dream of a better scenario back in 2015, you won't have that again. Still could be good. Wouldn't really mind if there wasn't 3 completely flat and uneventful stages in the end tho.

1985%20%28dyc,200%29.png

TRENDING THREADS