• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IMO Thomas is making a mistake by skipping Vuelta in favor of World ITT, if that is the final decision. He would be a podium favorite if not THE favorite for the win. He looked pretty fresh at the end of the Tour and might be riding with a bit of a chip on his shoulder b/c Bernal stole his thunder.

Otherwise, I'm hoping we get another first-time GT winner.

I agree with you particularly considering that the Yorkshire worlds don't even suit him that well when compared with next year's ones.
There is also the fact that he could have a golden opportunity to win another Grand Tour and that could give him the Tour leadership next year.

So, there is a chance we have 3 first time grand tour winners, must be a while since that happened since Froome, Nibs, Contador won such a high % over the last 10 years (I can't get into wiki to check, and i'm too hungover to try and work it out).
There's also a chance that we could have, for the first time (I think?), 3 non-Europeans winning the three grand-tour titles in a single year.

I agree with you particularly considering that the Yorkshire worlds don't even suit him that well when compared with next year's ones.
There is also the fact that he could have a golden opportunity to win another Grand Tour and that could give him the Tour leadership next year.
We shouldn't minimize the "team sport" element in cycling. SuperG said he is looking forward to helping Swifty go for a Rainbow Jersey...that is what real team-mates think like...and I'd say SuperG is the ultimate team-mate. Personally I'd also love to see Mr. Thomas take a shot at the Vuelta, but if there is a genuine belief in Swifty's abilities I also understand the decision to forgo the Vuelta.

We shouldn't minimize the "team sport" element in cycling. SuperG said he is looking forward to helping Swifty go for a Rainbow Jersey...that is what real team-mates think like...and I'd say SuperG is the ultimate team-mate. Personally I'd also love to see Mr. Thomas take a shot at the Vuelta, but if there is a genuine belief in Swifty's abilities I also understand the decision to forgo the Vuelta.
I dont think this makes sense at all. You get paid by your trade teams - just giving up a decent shot at a GC for a better chance of supporting the 15th-20th biggest favourite in the race is highly questionable.

I dont think this makes sense at all. You get paid by your trade teams - just giving up a decent shot at a GC for a better chance of supporting the 15th-20th biggest favourite in the race is highly questionable.

It might be a little unwise as the Vuelta podium for Geraint Thomas is far more likely than a medal in the Worlds for Ben Swift but regarding your trade teams point in this case both riders are on the same trade team as well as national team and it could be that Ineos view the possibilities of winning a world title on home roads is more prestigious than another Vuelta.

Roglic spotted training for the Vuelta without socks, someone call the police!

EB26eh7XYAI386q.jpg:large

Reactions: Carols
How is Chaves going ? I hope he has the whole of MS behind him

I am surprised that he is riding for GC - TTT will be average by MS standards while the flat 36km ITT won't help Chaves - He'll need to be super in the mountains to get a top 5 - He' ll have Nieve and Howson for support in the mountains - Rest of the team will be rouleurs and Mezgec for harder sprint finishes - Still a chance that S.Yates could ride as a stage hunter.

I am surprised that he is riding for GC - TTT will be average by MS standards while the flat 36km ITT won't help Chaves - He'll need to be super in the mountains to get a top 5 - He' ll have Nieve and Howson for support in the mountains - Rest of the team will be rouleurs and Mezgec for harder sprint finishes - Still a chance that S.Yates could ride as a stage hunter.
It is not like they have anything to lose by going for GC. First they try and if they fail then they go for stages.

It would be really nice to see Chavez back, I don't expect him to top 5, but top 10 with some good performances in the Mountains in the later stages should give him a platform to build on for next year. Also, after the debacle of the Yates twins this year, he pushes himself back to being at least as important as they are for the team.

TRENDING THREADS