• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't either, but then again, I dont see Hart doing that much apart either tbh. Dont think he is a GT rider, but he will most definitely try to go for a top-10.

Very weird if Poels isn't going, this is the perfect opportunity to finally ride for himself.... Generally I just dont get all these climbers/GC-riders opting to ride races such as Deutchland Tour, Montreal/Quebec etc... I mean, they really aren't going to do anything in these races.

I don't either, but then again, I dont see Hart doing that much apart either tbh. Dont think he is a GT rider, but he will most definitely try to go for a top-10.

Very weird if Poels isn't going, this is the perfect opportunity to finally ride for himself.... Generally I just dont get all these climbers/GC-riders opting to ride races such as Deutchland Tour, Montreal/Quebec etc... I mean, they really aren't going to do anything in these races.
Pretty much.

I wouldn't mind it if the Vuelta actually had cool alternatives, but now it's all stage races nobody cares about. I feel like the calendar is way too saturated with stage races while it should be much easier to set up a great one day race. Especially climbing one day races should be a nice addition. You can even go as far as using climbs that are basically too stupid to really use in GTs for balancing reasons, unless environmental issues are too big. And a one day format should even make those a lot less too.

I still see very good riders for this Vuelta. It is just Ineos that is not bringing Thomas. To be honest, Poels was not going very good at the end in the Tour. So that could have changed the decision for Ineos to let him ride an easier race than the Vuelta.

I agree with Red about having too many stage races that are not important. Especially at the same time with La Vuelta. It is a pity.

Bora and EF also have very nice teams.
Yes, EF selected their squad a little later than the others and thats definitely a nice one. The trio of Colombians are very interesting, but I heard Martinez was sick before Utah and therefore didn't ride which was a pity. Who knows how serious that was.
Urán? Well, could get a top-5 if going really well, but its always a bit up and down with him. Higuita is still too young, TJ is TJ, but Carthy is very interesting also.

Bora is just always bring interesting squads with great sprinters and climbers. Versatile squad, but Formolo, Maja and Mühlberger isn't going to light anything up in the mountains. Its primarily for stage wins for Bennett

Reactions: JRanton
I always look forward to the Vuelta and really like the race. Its not worth putting hours and hours and hours into like the Giro, but there's something relevant happening on more than half the stages, mainly due to them not giving too much for sprint stages. Thats the thing I like about it the most.

Also, it really has the feel of being a lesser version of the other GTs. Its a lot more relaxed in that sense, also for the viewers. Not that much is happening much of the day until the end, the riders are going on a siesta, but you get paid back in the last hour usually as a spectator.

Agree that the Vuelta offers something else than the Giro and Tour, and in theory I think that is a good thing, but the last years that "something else" is for me a suboptimal solution. A clear profile as a race with more shorter and aggressive stages and total distance of perhaps 3000-3100 km would good and far better than the latest versions. A large majority of the mountain stages could be short/middle long, something like 120-150 km, but designed properly for aggressive riding.

The last years it's been mostly about the muritos, and the stages with bigger mountains have been somewhat underwhelming, usually limited to maximum 2 bigger mountains or 3-4 medium mountains in a medium to long stage (often 170-200 km). And almost always the major difficulty as the last climb, limiting the action to no more than the last 5 kms or so.

So I just checked the betting odds for the Vuelta and saw Carapaz is only third behind Roglic and Lopez. Why is that? He beat both of them quite comfortably in the giro. I guess with Roglic you can claim that he misstimed his peak for the giro but Lopez? How can you be so underrated after winning the giro?

So I just checked the betting odds for the Vuelta and saw Carapaz is only third behind Roglic and Lopez. Why is that? He beat both of them quite comfortably in the giro. I guess with Roglic you can claim that he misstimed his peak for the giro but Lopez? How can you be so underrated after winning the giro?
Consistency I imagine.

Carapaz rode the Vuelta last year and didn't do *** basically, even if he wasn't riding for himself.

Generally I think betting odds don't adjust enough to recent trends and rely too much on things that happened a long time ago

Last edited:
Consistency I imagine.

Carapaz rode the Vuelta last year and didn't do *** basically, even if he was riding for himself.

Generally I think betting odds don't adjust enough to recent trends and rely too much on things that happened a long time ago
What? Carapaz didnt ride for himself at all last year and was quite the luxury domestique in the mountains, especially towards the end of the race as far as I remember. Obviously he wasn't riding as well as in the Giro last year, otherwise he would have been protected, but did very decent.

I think Lopez and Carapaz should be about equally rated tbh. Lopez has shown last year that he is very adept at riding Giro + Vuelta and generally is performing very well in that race. His level was higher than 7th indicated in Italy. Maybe Carapaz should be the slightly favored rider, but nothing more IMO.

People shouldn't be looking to the riders that did the Tour for GC results IMO.

I think because the World Championships route this year - and as always Lombardia - many of the GC guys (apart from the pure climbers like Quintana) from the Tour, are mainly there to act as luxury doms some days, and prepare themselves for what comes after the Vuelta on others.

What? Carapaz didnt ride for himself at all last year and was quite the luxury domestique in the mountains, especially towards the end of the race as far as I remember. Obviously he wasn't riding as well as in the Giro last year, otherwise he would have been protected, but did very decent.

I think Lopez and Carapaz should be about equally rated tbh. Lopez has shown last year that he is very adept at riding Giro + Vuelta and generally is performing very well in that race. His level was higher than 7th indicated in Italy. Maybe Carapaz should be the slightly favored rider, but nothing more IMO.
I can't even English anymore.

Anyway, I personally rate Carapaz higher as a potential winner. If MAL beats Carapaz I don't think it's for the win.

People shouldn't be looking to the riders that did the Tour for GC results IMO.

I think because the World Championships route this year - and as always Lombardia - many of the GC guys (apart from the pure climbers like Quintana) from the Tour, are mainly there to act as luxury doms some days, and prepare themselves for what comes after the Vuelta on others.

Except for Valverde who will race for GC, then go to the Worlds, then the Italian one day races ending with Lombardia.

Will VV race for GC, or will he ride for stages and to help Carapaz and Quintana?

It's la Vuelta and he said something at the end of last year that he'd ride for other teammates at GT's except la Vuelta where he still wants another shot. He's chasing a piece of history at la Vuelta that he may or may not be able to get and that's the podium record. He'd love to win another one. Plus la Vuelta is his favorite race of the season.

TRENDING THREADS