• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 15: Tineo - Santuario del Acebo > 154.4 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ED9PEgGWwAAJB44.jpg:large

ED9LQdFXsAA96q2.jpg:large

ED90Kf9XUAQH1Bg.jpg:large

Last edited:
Anyone think Soler crosses the line and straight away called his agent to say “get me a transfer to Jumbo for next year; they might let me win a stage when I’m leading with 3km to go.”

Soler will have leadership opportunities at Movistar next year. Remember Quintana and Landa are leaving. Movistar's 3 leaders next year should be Valverde, Enric Mas and Soler. It's likely each one gets 1 GT as the main leader. My guess would be Soler to the Giro, Mas to the Tour and Valverde the Vuelta.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Anyone think Soler crosses the line and straight away called his agent to say “get me a transfer to Jumbo for next year; they might let me win a stage when I’m leading with 3km to go.”
No. Soler have no problems with riding for Valverde (or Landa for example). The problem in Andorra was a really special case and it’s pointless trying to make the narrative that Soler doesn’t like to work for the team. He was one of the best domestique sin the Tour and he’s been doing a lot of great efforts for team leaders the past years. No need to exaggerate to make him look bad.

No. Soler have no problems with riding for Valverde (or Landa for example). The problem in Andorra was a really special case and it’s pointless trying to make the narrative that Soler doesn’t like to work for the team. He was one of the best domestique sin the Tour and he’s been doing a lot of great efforts for team leaders the past years. No need to exaggerate to make him look bad.
In fact he rode so fast on the Izoard because he was trying to catch Quintana.

Folks who "criticize" how this stage was ridden (like unipuerto) should realize tomorrow is not a rest day, but yet another mountain beast. Perhaps worth a suicidal make or break long range attack (MAL has nothing to lose, not even white jersey :)

Folks who "criticize" how this stage was ridden (like unipuerto) should realize tomorrow is not a rest day, but yet another mountain beast. Perhaps worth a suicidal make or break long range attack (MAL has nothing to lose, not even white jersey :)
It's not a criticism. It's an observation. It expected a bit more tempo on the penultimate climb in the peloton but it was always gonna have the bunch together at the bottom of the climb.

Parcours wise, you could complain about the pacing, but not really since the MTF was by far the hardest climb of the day today and it fully delivered.

The reason it was ridden like a unipuerto is the 30 km of downhill before the last climb, which also I think had the steepest gradients, though it wasn't the longest. no way was any attack from the second to last mtn going to succeed. it would have been a suicide mission. But no matter, the three Cat. 1s softened up everyone's legs except Kuss', Roglic's and Valverde's...

Regarding Soler: He should definitely get his chance at Movistar next year. He's been a beast this race. The question is whether he's a Carapaz or a Landa, in terms of results matching talent. TBH I didn't know much about him before last year but realize that he also won Avenir, in 2015. He's a good to better than good TT'er and seems like he can handle all types of climbs.

Kuss got his first win outside of USA today and It stroke me that there are a lot of American riders who if win in Europe, then mainly in Spain and not anywhere else.
Horner had 5 out of his 7 European wins in Spain, including the last 5 ones of his career.
Van Garderen 3 of 5 including his first 3 ones.
Danielson 2 of 3
Ben King 2 of 3
I see a pattern here
The exception is Talansky who had 4 wins in France and 0 in any other European country.

Kuss got his first win outside of USA today and It stroke me that there are a lot of American riders who if win in Europe, then mainly in Spain and not anywhere else.
Horner had 5 out of his 7 European wins in Spain, including the last 5 ones of his career.
Danielson 2 of 3
Ben King 2 of 3
I see a pattern here
The exception is Talansky who had 4 wins in France and 0 in any other European country.

Armstrong won a couple of times in France.

• Haha
Danielson 2 of 3
Ben King 2 of 3
I see a pattern here

I remember some guy named Andy Hampsten winning some Big race in Italy; the Giro!

The funny thing about Movistar is everybody talks about their leaders and the team always end winning the team classification.
Makes me think the team ranking is what matters to the management and the individual GC is left to riders to sort it out between themselves.
They might as well rename it the Movistar Award in all the Grand Tours. I bet they must have won around 70% of the Grand Tour Team Classifications this decade.

TRENDING THREADS