• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 16: Pravia - Alto De La Cubilla - 144.4km

etappe-16-profiel.jpg

Puerto%20de%20San%20Lorenzo%20W%203d.gif

Alto%20Cobertoria%20(Llanuces).gif

puerto-de-la-cubilla-asturias.gif

On this stage, Quintana will wear the green jersey, lying fourth in that competition.

That must be a rather rare occurrence.

Even weirder thing is... why does this jersey exist at Vuelta at all? Better introduce some minor competitions/jerseys for breakaway and out-of-top10/20 riders like e.g. "Intervuelta" points and classification/jersey or that "hidden sprint" competition, or something like "biggest jump forward" (time or place-wise... to motivate breakaways), or biggest breakaway time gap in one stage (wrt. race leader), etc. appropriate financial reward may help.

Even weirder thing is... why does this jersey exist at Vuelta at all? Better introduce some minor competitions/jerseys for breakaway and out-of-top10/20 riders like e.g. "Intervuelta" points and classification/jersey or that "hidden sprint" competition, or something like "biggest jump forward" (time or place-wise... to motivate breakaways), or biggest breakaway time gap in one stage (wrt. race leader), etc. appropriate financial reward may help.

I don't follow. Why is it odd that a points jersey exists in the Vuelta as in all other races?

I'd love it if someone attacks from far out and it could happen with lopez and Quintana outside the podium spots.
The last climb on it's own is pretty underwhelming and btw it's super weird to give it esp categorization. You don't usually see big gaps on those sort of gradients. Then again, it might be a climb that suits Lopez pretty well.

I'd love it if someone attacks from far out and it could happen with lopez and Quintana outside the podium spots.
The last climb on it's own is pretty underwhelming and btw it's super weird to give it esp categorization. You don't usually see big gaps on those sort of gradients. Then again, it might be a climb that suits Lopez pretty well.
Final 18 km is 6.2% or something, this sort of climb gets HC in the Tour every single time.

The climb is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Remember Ermita di Alba in 2015? No team in his right mind is gonna ride a snail pace on the Cobertoria now. Climbs like La Toussuire are fine in the Tour if the terrain before is hard enough.

With regard to Pogacar today not sure if he was weak, struggling a little with his knee after the pileup or was for the first time in the race showing a hold on to what you have attitude. It seemed like he maybe got consumed by trying to cover López for the White Jersey rather than risk a little on pushing hard to try and reel in Valverde.

With regard to Pogacar today not sure if he was weak, struggling a little with his knee after the pileup or was for the first time in the race showing a hold on to what you have attitude. It seemed like he maybe got consumed by trying to cover López for the White Jersey rather than risk a little on pushing hard to try and reel in Valverde.
They got clearly dropped and were racing for 3rd place quite clearly

Nieve and Chaves are the only Mitchelton riders capable of winning if they got into the break, but Chaves is apparently injured from his fall two days ago.

Nieve has won four Grand Tour stages previously (3 x Giro and 1 x Vuelta). They have all been from breakaways in multiple mountain stages in the second half of the race. He has had very few opportunities in the Vuelta however, as he has usually not raced it or has ridden in support of a Sky leader.

At age 35 he won't get many more chances to add to his tally.

Surely he gets into the break.

Don't see many form reversals at this stage of the race. Lopez and Quintana are climbing worse than Roglic. Remains to be seen whether fatigue gets hold of Valverde and Pogacar. The weight Valverde dropped has seemed to have helped him in this race so far. He looks better than he did in last year's Vuelta. so maybe he won't fade. Maybe Lopez has one last big attack left in his legs but I'm not convinced it will succeed. Kuss will riding more conservatively for the rest of the race I would expect but he looked comfortable winning yesterday. Roglic looks solid, better than he has in any other grand tour he has ridden. He has one hand on the trophy.

I will laugh my ass off if Quintana attacks on the Cobertoria and Valverde does nothing.
And what will be a problem with that?
Quintana will surely want to attack earlier, cause it looks like it is the only way he could gain time, or win a stage.
Valverde would benefit from that move cause it will put the pressure on Roglic and others to chase, and if he has legs like yesterday he will attack surely. If he doesn't then just let Quintana to try to grab some time.
Or do you think they're really racing against each other?

TRENDING THREADS