• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 16: Pravia - Alto De La Cubilla - 144.4km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Astana now having their stage win, they should again switch their focus 100% on Lopez and try to break Valverde. I fear he will, but one thing is dropping him, another thing is sustaining the gap on the easy terrain after the climbs.
I can't help but think Astana is clearly stronger than Movistar right now. If they crack Valverde, it's probably Pogacar and Lopez getting away with 2v1 with Roglic probably chilling in their wheels.

EEC0XHuXsAEGA4N.jpg:large

EEC52NyWsAApTxk.jpg:large

EECvU3TXkAEJ7TI.jpg:large

EECuL4FXoAEDYTP.jpg:large

EEC-JcdWkAE8zUU.jpg:large

Last edited:
Carl Fredrik Hagen!!!! Fairly unknown. His first GT. Has worked his way from xc skiing, running, mountain bike an finally road cycling up the grades and now at 27 a pro at Lotto and will probably achieve the best ever result of a Norwegian in a Grand Tour. I think he will keep progressing and has more to come up his sleeve.

Roglic looks absolutely bulletproof, he could win this race by 5 minutes if he wanted to.

Unless he pulls a Kruijswijk this race is over.

Seems that way. Even so he should just follow wheels more often at this stage. All it takes is a puncture at the wrong time to be put under pressure again or to lose some time. He's obviously the strongest. He's done the hard work to build his lead.

Carl Fredrik Hagen!!!! Fairly unknown. His first GT. Has worked his way from xc skiing, running, mountain bike an finally road cycling up the grades and now at 27 a pro at Lotto and will probably achieve the best ever result of a Norwegian in a Grand Tour. I think he will keep progressing and has more to come up his sleeve.

Yes, interesting to see if can continue to develop. This his first year at WT. A top 10 here would certainely be a big improvement. Hopefully he can build on that for next year.

Fuglsang is copying Frank VDB twenty years ago: winning LBL and a Vuelta stage...
He still needs to win another stage to match VDB's Vuelta, not to mention how VDB went on a solo breakway on the Madrid stage to take the points jersey. Still, Fuglsang has had a great season.

I can't believe it has already been almost ten years since VDB's death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pantani_lives
This race is great. The obvious huge problem has been the crashes,bad but nobody hurt seriously. I am watching primarily Mexico coverage,the entire broadcast watches Latin American riders even when there is a breakaway..I get it. Part of the coverage interviews Spanish speaking riders that were a non factor that day or the race overall. "Superman Lopez" is said every @2 minutes no matter his position..sad or not Nario has a microphone jammed in his face often even before he can swing his leg off the bike after finishing. The guy is a true gentleman and is pretty cool and calm under fire. His comments are honest and brief. Tired of didn't have legs,but no cheap or confusing shots at teams or other riders.
this has really really been a great couple of months for cycling.
it looks like the year will finish like it started with Jacob Fuglsang showing his brilliant style and skill a little here and a little there and given out in perfect proportions..
Sepp Kuss guzzling his post race beer, another proud moment,and his hand slaps w the crowd as he finished with a win..another awesome tribute to his mountain bike roots.

While the climbs of stage 18 aren't super-steep, they are quite high altitude at 1750-1850 m.

Valverde should suffer in the thin air. If Lopéz and Pog attacks on the last Morcuera, I could see Valverde lose 3 minutes or more.

The last half of the penultimate climb is the hardest part of the stage.

TRENDING THREADS