• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 17: Aranda de Duero - Guadalajara > 219.6 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Then why hire Landa or why not explain to some of the chiefs that its time to move on before now. Thats bad management and I know I am saying that about a team with a huge trophy cabinet
Because the opportunity presented itself and they didnt know that Carapaz would turn into a world beater this fast.

Sky also has a lot of big names and there has always been quite a lot controversy in the media, at least in last year's Tour. It just happens that more often than not, its actually an ADVANTAGE having more riders contesting the win apart from just one despite what the media is trying to tell you. I mean, look at FDJ in this years Tour - all that work for nothing, basically.

Because the opportunity presented itself and they didnt know that Carapaz would turn into a world beater this fast.

Sky also has a lot of big names and there has always been quite a lot controversy in the media, at least in last year's Tour. It just happens that more often than not, its actually an ADVANTAGE having more riders contesting the win apart from just one despite what the media is trying to tell you. I mean, look at FDJ in this years Tour - all that work for nothing, basically.

I meant Bala/Nairo/Landa not Carapaz but it is not comparable to FDJ as yes they would love 2 leaders but cant afford it but even if they could I bet they would not chase each other down. Bala is one of the greatest classics riders of all time but should never be allowed in a co leadership position as he is proven poison to teammates. Single leader worked fine for Indurian and I bet Bala would be really angry to be co leader in the classics

I meant Bala/Nairo/Landa not Carapaz but it is not comparable to FDJ as yes they would love 2 leaders but cant afford it but even if they could I bet they would not chase each other down. Bala is one of the greatest classics riders of all time but should never be allowed in a co leadership position as he is proven poison to teammates. Single leader worked fine for Indurian and I bet Bala would be really angry to be co leader in the classics
It just so happens that Valverde has proved to be better in the mountain than Quintana, so I dont really know what you are on about.. apart from hating on Valv, obviosuly..

For all the stick they get, Abarcá have - regularly - managed to interject themselves into GC battles they had absolutely no business being part of (Tour '06, Giro '10), and tried to do the same on numerous other occasions (e.g. with LLS and Plaza in the 2010 Tour). Those GTs they've won recently have been thanks to some calculated gambles (Quintana and Formigal, Carapaz). While they may sometimes draw blanks and their tactics may wind up counterintuitive, it's largely because they keep trying things and, crucially, apart from Valverde who is gradually fading more and more as a stage racer, none of their riders have been able to be consistently good for a three week race in a good few years. Quintana gets a load of stick for being defensive from people that don't remember that how he made his name when everybody loved him back in 2012-13 was a long range attack in the Route du Sud and an unexpected ride to the polka dots in similar fashion; both of his GT wins were predicated on picking one or two stages and attacking from far. And while, yes, he does ride defensively much of the rest of the time, focusing all of his efforts on some really big long-range attacks, there are lots of riders who get a lot of love from the forum whose aggression plans are no different. And even when the race has gone completely awry, Quintana has been able to salvage something from it in general - taking stages in the 2018 and 2019 Tours after his GC bid has failed. Nobody can say that he hasn't raced this Vuelta in entertaining fashion. He won stage 2 with an attack on the flat after turning a stage perceived to be a reduced sprint (obviously along with several others) into an important one, he was on the attack in Andorra seeing as that's why Soler was called back, he was in the break today on a flat stage to try to win his time back (and almost successfully doing so). He'll probably pay for it tomorrow, but hey, he tried to interject himself back into a GC mix he had fallen out of, and more power to him for doing so.
I've noted before that Quintana is an actual racer and admirable in showing initiative. Movistar and Valverde are better off than before although they'd prefer AV in 2nd. I haven't seen the race yet but it sounds like their tactics worked fairly well; the cost of that will play out in the remaining stages. Nairo will not pass Roglic imo barring some mishap but he's made the Vuelta credible.

I imagine this was the fastest road stage ever in a Grand Tour. Can anybody confirm or prove me wrong?

I believe this stage held the record before today but am not entirely sure:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/1999/stage-4
PCS has posted a list of the fastest vuelta stages in today's live ticker. This one's at the top:

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was almost a perfect storm of circumstances that could have cost Roglic a lot today (though in the end, it didn't). Jumbo's team director acknowledged as much. With almost all of DQS up front and pulling as hard as if it were a team time trial, along with Sunweb and Moviestar, that was too much firepower for Jumbo's domestiques to chase down, or even keep pace with. Jumbo may be pretty tired tomorrow from today's damage-control efforts, though other teams worked hard also.

c4taWGu.png

• Wow
Roglic admits that he wasn't properly positioned in the beginning of the stage.

That makes me so incredibly frustrated that it was Quintana, not Valverde who went in the break.
I think that all this wouldn't have happened in that case. Mistake about which Roglic is talking about was, that he was following Valverdes wheel instead of being in the group with his own teammates who were correctly positioned. They had to drop back when it was known that Primoz missed the break. In my opinion this was only possible with NQ at the front.

Quintana could have sat on and NOT worked against his teammate. Which is the only time he doesn't just wheel suck. Quickstep likely did plan this.
This is getting a bit weird. Quintana had a legit chance of taking the race lead at several points today. It would have been one of the biggest disgraces in recent cycling if he wouldn't have taken any pulls. Even more so if the reason was just to protect the 2nd place of someone nearly three minutes off the lead.

This is getting a bit weird. Quintana had a legit chance of taking the race lead at several points today. It would have been one of the biggest disgraces in recent cycling if he wouldn't have taken any pulls. Even more so if the reason was just to protect the 2nd place of someone nearly three minutes off the lead.

Is it only getting a bit weird now?

I think it was weird from post 1 tonight.

Quintana could have sat on and NOT worked against his teammate. Which is the only time he doesn't just wheel suck. Quickstep likely did plan this.
Quintana actually sat on. It was Erviti, Oliveira and Rojas (his friend) who didn't. They were all pulling like madmen to help Quintana get more time against Valverde. Quintana repeatedly was on the radio trying to slow them down so that Valverde had less gap at the end. He was being a good teammate!

Reactions: Blanco
I think everything Movistar did today (getting Quintana in the break, pulling from the front group, raising the pace in Roglič's group to disrupt the chase and drop the domestiques) was perfect. It's a pity the payoff wasn't bigger due to Astana's dumb conservative tactics, because Movistar deserved an even better result: Quintana in red with a dangerous gap.

TRENDING THREADS