• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 11 (Villaviciosa › Alto de La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo 170km)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wouldn't exactly call it weak considering how it formed. There were maybe 40 rides left in the peloton when these riders attacked, they must have good legs.

Pretty impressive by the 2 Sunweb youngsters.
yeah ok, but wellens and martin will jsut look at each other and the only other really good climber is Gaudu, not enough to make it to the end I think.

Kirby trying to sell the GCN racepass by describing it as a "Pandora's Box". My knowledge of Greek mythology is virtually nothing but I didn't think that ended well

I have the ES player anywhere but I really don't get the constant advertising of the GCN racepass. Surely whatever advertisers are using ES can't be too happy that the commentators keep on telling people about the ad free alternative

I sure did. I don't remember the rules at that time, but it has been (and I think it is so today as well) within the rules for organisers to allow a large group outside the time limit to stay in the race. Like in the 2006 Tour when the whole peloton was outside the time limit.

So afaik the time limit did not get changed.
The rules were as they are now. The problem then was not that the grupetto was allowed to stay in, but because they got together in sufficient numbers that they felt secure they couldn't be thrown out the race, and just straight up stopped trying, missing the time cut by about 20 minutes, thus penalising the riders who actually did try because they thought they'd be thrown out the race. Worse, three days earlier Nathan Haas had been caught up in a crash, got injured, rode almost the whole stage on his own, missed the time cut by about ten seconds and been ejected from the race, so against that backdrop, 90 riders deciding that they couldn't be bothered, and being allowed to stay in despite being 54 minutes down on a sub-3 hour stage, and then Larry Warbasse having the temerity to say that the fans should be thankful for it, was very divisive.

I mean, for the record, the race came 6 weeks after the queen stage of that year's Giro Rosa, a similar length but with harder climbs. Racing was on from the very start as that was the stage with Niewiadoma, best young rider and 5th overall, attacking with QOM Longo Borghini on the first climb of the day, trying to do the whole stage solo and then Abbott and Stevens, 1st and 2nd overall, chasing her down on the penultimate climb and all hell breaking loose on the final climb. Only 14 women finished within 10 minutes. As you will no doubt be aware, the difference in depth of péloton means the gulf between the best and worst rider in the race in the Giro Rosa was bigger than in that Vuelta, on a harder stage which took nearly an hour longer than the men's stage to Formigal, coming the day after the Mortirolo, with action all day, the literal worst rider that day was 7 minutes closer to the victory time than riders including Robert Gesink, Darwin Atapuma, Christophe Riblon, Simon Gerrans, Pello Bilbao, Sergey Lagutin, Mathias Fränk, Peter Kennaugh, Leopold König and Tejay van fricking Garderen.

The rules were as they are now. The problem then was not that the grupetto was allowed to stay in, but because they got together in sufficient numbers that they felt secure they couldn't be thrown out the race, and just straight up stopped trying, missing the time cut by about 20 minutes, thus penalising the riders who actually did try because they thought they'd be thrown out the race. Worse, three days earlier Nathan Haas had been caught up in a crash, got injured, rode almost the whole stage on his own, missed the time cut by about ten seconds and been ejected from the race, so against that backdrop, 90 riders deciding that they couldn't be bothered, and being allowed to stay in despite being 54 minutes down on a sub-3 hour stage, and then Larry Warbasse having the temerity to say that the fans should be thankful for it, was very divisive.

I mean, for the record, the race came 6 weeks after the queen stage of that year's Giro Rosa, a similar length but with harder climbs. Racing was on from the very start as that was the stage with Niewiadoma, best young rider and 5th overall, attacking with QOM Longo Borghini on the first climb of the day, trying to do the whole stage solo and then Abbott and Stevens, 1st and 2nd overall, chasing her down on the penultimate climb and all hell breaking loose on the final climb. Only 14 women finished within 10 minutes. As you will no doubt be aware, the difference in depth of péloton means the gulf between the best and worst rider in the race in the Giro Rosa was bigger than in that Vuelta, on a harder stage which took nearly an hour longer than the men's stage to Formigal, coming the day after the Mortirolo, with action all day, the literal worst rider that day was 7 minutes closer to the victory time than riders including Robert Gesink, Darwin Atapuma, Christophe Riblon, Simon Gerrans, Pello Bilbao, Sergey Lagutin, Mathias Fränk, Peter Kennaugh, Leopold König and Tejay van fricking Garderen.

Would have been fun if they fined all the riders not caring about the time limit for unsporting behaviour :p

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS