• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 13 (Muros > Mirador de Ézaro 33.7 km ITT)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I tend to agree. His 3rd week time trials are usually not the best, but the rest day should help with that. As sad as it is for the fight for red, I'd be surprised if anyone remains within 2 minutes on gc
I have my doubts. I really think Roglic looked completely empty after Angliru (arguably everybody did, but he stood out to me...), and while I am one of those who think he did a really solid TT in Tour stage 20, it becomes more unreliable when he's drained, and I got the feeling he is. I have a feeling he won't be able to get an "in the bag" kind of difference (but I am rooting for him).
If the looks of weakness on Angliru were due to the gearing suff mentioned in the stage thread, that of course changes things.

No idea what to expect from Carapaz. Ineos are much more structured than Movistar, so I assume that he worked a lot on his TT.
They even managed to get a few decent TTs out of Landa (the final one in the 2017 Tour). Limiting his losses to Roglic to under 1:30 would be a good result for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Rest day pics

El0SsmiXEAAZCY-

El0g2yDXIAArCT1

El0R3nlXgAE2vKB

El0IPeGXgAAwvRW

El0Id4MXIAAF9sf

El0IhZqXUAQvN8n

El0IdmxWkAAQdPK

El0IeBrXEAEfVUk

El0IacsWkAY-7oI

El0IbsDXgAEiazJ

Last edited:
A part of me thinks that Roglic will struggle a bit because it's TT late in a gt but then I have to remind myself that despite being this close to the end already, this is still only stage stage 13, this is only 3 stages later than the giro TT he won in 2019.

Anyway, considering he didn't look spectacular on the Angliru and that apparently his TT gets worse the further into a gt it comes I don't expect a spectacular performance from him. He will still gain time on all his competitors and has a decent chance to even win the stage but the time gaps won't be huge. Considering however that there is only one mountain stage left and that none of his competitors have really been able to make a good case for why they can win the Vuelta either I still say, we will see the final leader change tomorrow.

No idea what to expect from Carapaz. Ineos are much more structured than Movistar, so I assume that he worked a lot on his TT.
They even managed to get a few decent TTs out of Landa (the final one in the 2017 Tour). Limiting his losses to Roglic to under 1:30 would be a good result for him.
Any particular reason to expect him to do better than Bernal in like the 2019 Tour ITT?
A part of me thinks that Roglic will struggle a bit because it's TT late in a gt but then I have to remind myself that despite being this close to the end already, this is still only stage stage 13, this is only 3 stages later than the giro TT he won in 2019.

Anyway, considering he didn't look spectacular on the Angliru and that apparently his TT gets worse the further into a gt it comes I don't expect a spectacular performance from him. He will still gain time on all his competitors and has a decent chance to even win the stage but the time gaps won't be huge. Considering however that there is only one mountain stage left and that none of his competitors have really been able to make a good case for why they can win the Vuelta either I still say, we will see the final leader change tomorrow.
Roglic clearly overcooked himself on the first 30km in the PDBF ITT. 4th after 30km, 11th climbing time despite being one of te 2 best climbers in that race. Without that he probably is closer to Dumoulin/Porte where you might have expected him to beat those but not a horrendous ITT by any stretch of the imaginatino.

In the 2019 Giro Carapaz was pretty much the one dropping a sh*tter in the final ITT despite Roglic being the one with poor form.

Any particular reason to expect him to do better than Bernal in like the 2019 Tour ITT?

Roglic clearly overcooked himself on the first 30km in the PDBF ITT. 4th after 30km, 11th climbing time despite being one of te 2 best climbers in that race. Without that he probably is closer to Dumoulin/Porte where you might have expected him to beat those but not a horrendous ITT by any stretch of the imaginatino.

In the 2019 Giro Carapaz was pretty much the one dropping a sh*tter in the final ITT despite Roglic being the one with poor form.
Bernal actually underperformed in the Tour ITT, if you compare it to other TTs he did in the same year (11th in the Tour de Suisse ITT, when he lost only 1sec per km to Rohan Dennis).

Bernal actually underperformed in the Tour ITT, if you compare it to other TTs he did in the same year (11th in the Tour de Suisse ITT, when he lost only 1sec per km to Rohan Dennis).
Think Bernal underperformed the Tour ITT less than Dennis the Suisse ITT you mention. He's pretty average for a climbing centric GC rider. And Carapaz was pretty dreadful on flat ITTs before going to Ineos. Then there's the question how much he's actually been able to work on his ITT at Ineos in a COVID year.

• Wow
Carapaz pulling a Pogatsar, would be nice icing on the 2020 cake.
BTW, person responsible for such race design is just a clown.
I don't know. I think Carapaz is more or less a known quantity in TTs. Yes he can improve some still, but he has never shown glimpses of an elite time trialist. While Pogačar erlier this year already beat Roglič in the Nationals and also showed some strong performances last year when he was 21. Carapaz in contrast is 27 already.

If I have to pick one, I'd pick Carthy or Mas to do, maybe not a Pogastar, but a Pogasome, before Carapaz.

TRENDING THREADS