• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 14 (Lugo › Ourense, 204.7km)

Uphill sprint, breakaway, or carnage. The latter depends on in Gigs is watching.

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-14-profile-3f2f22eecb.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-14-finish-7735789a78.png

Roglic: in case of uphill sprint

4da.png

I think Jumbo should chase and set an uphill sprint for Roglič, but they won't. I don't see any other team that would want to bring the peloton together to the last km. Only if there are riders in a breakaway who will endanger a top10 place of their rider, then those teams will give a hand in keeping the break close.

Carthy to lose 10-15 seconds on the final climb acceleration. :( Who knows if that will be decisive for the final GC. Just like seconds he lost on stage 10 that he most likely wouldn't have lost if he knew 1s gaps would be counted instead of 3s gaps (you could see he was not pushing 100% to close the gap he had in front of him).

I just saw the profiles of the next 3 stages. This Vuelta has a horrendous last week. Wow!
This is terrible. Putting a time trial after the rest day like in the Giro 2018 and then nothing. "Sorry folks, that's a wrap".

I suspect they might have done this to protect against the possibility that the race wouldn't get to Madrid - i.e. so the GC would still have an air of legitimacy if the race were stopped two-thirds of the way through. But yeah, whatever the reason, it's not a great final week.

I suspect they might have done this to protect against the possibility that the race wouldn't get to Madrid - i.e. so the GC would still have an air of legitimacy if the race were stopped two-thirds of the way through. But yeah, whatever the reason, it's not a great final week.

Pretty sure the route was designed before anyone knew the word 'covid-19'.

Is this profile accurate?

The official one seems more shallow (lower final elevation - 150m vs. 183m) and also a more consistent grind to the finish in the final 5km. From the official profiles it seems like it's a 4% last km.

I am pretty surpriced by all the rumours of the finishclimb being hard now and 1.1 *6,5 %. On the official homepage profile looks like it only rises max 25 meter or 2,5 % in average the last km. But I guess its not the first time the Vuelta has made such useless profiles. But do anyone know for sure what is correct?

Is this profile accurate?

The official one seems more shallow (lower final elevation - 150m vs. 183m) and also a more consistent grind to the finish in the final 5km. From the official profiles it seems like it's a 4% last km.
According to the road book the elevation in the final 2km goes as follows:
115m @ 2km
120m @ 1.5km (0.5km @ 1%)
125m @ 1.3km (0.2km @ 2.5%)
135m @ 1.2km (0.1km @ 10%)
150m @ 0.8km (0.4km @ 3.75%)
195m @ 0km (0.8km @ 5.6%)

Reactions: SafeBet
According to the road book the elevation in the final 2km goes as follows:
115m @ 2km
120m @ 1.5km (0.5km @ 1%)
125m @ 1.3km (0.2km @ 2.5%)
135m @ 1.2km (0.1km @ 10%)
150m @ 0.8km (0.4km @ 3.75%)
195m @ 0km (0.8km @ 5.6%)

And the official homepage profiles ends the stage at 150 altitude in both the full profile, and the "last km " profile. Are we sure they actually ride those last 800 meters that has not been included on the profiles there. I would assume they perhaps has the finishline before the climb ends?

And the official homepage profiles ends the stage at 150 altitude in both the full profile, and the "last km " profile. Are we sure they actually ride those last 800 meters that has not been included on the profiles there. I would assume they perhaps has the finishline before the climb ends?
Stage length is the same in the web site as in the roadbook, as is the distance of the towns and climbs in the parcourse.
But the last 0.8km in the roadbook is full of twists and turns and are marked as narrow. Perhaps they've considered it was too dangerous, decided to skip it and only updated the profiles.
BTW, the roadbook has textual instructions on the side they take at the last roundabout that are inconsistent with the figure of the stage finish on the city map.

TRENDING THREADS