• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 16 (Salamanca - Ciudad Rodrigo, 162 km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Possible stage win for Valverde is no good reason for you? :oops:

The way this year has gone, there was no way he was going to win it. Thus not a possible stage win. I also haven't seen anything from him in la Vuelta this year to change my prediction that he doesn't race outside of Spain next year. Thus I stand by my statement that Movistar had no good reason at all to do any work at all. They got literally nothing out of it. This isn't the first time they've gotten nothing out of it.

Last edited:
To make Roglic more tired and to test him. Well, not sure if it will pay off.

Or to check the watts of the train for tomorrow and then go ballistic.

With Bagioli abandoning, only 2 Italian riders are left in the race.
I believe that's the fewest Italian riders finishing a GT since the 1987 Vuelta.

This plus the worst Giro GC result in the history of the race. It's not looking very bright for Italy atm.

well it would be fine if his team would work for it, but now teams do all the work and then Roglic often finishes it off, I just find it annoying to look at.
I don't see you complaining about EF even though they didn't work either today.
people who overload with smilies often think they know it all and have narcissistic personality disorders.
What a classy response. I must have struck a nerve. Interesting theory though, never heard it before. Nice way to insult others I guess if you have nothing better to say.

It won't. If they wanted to test him, then Carapaz should've put his nose in the wind...
Well obviously the test wasn't that much.
Or to check the watts of the train for tomorrow and then go ballistic.

This plus the worst Giro GC result in the history of the race. It's not looking very bright for Italy atm.
Froome pulling a Dennis would be something. But I don't think Carapaz is even that much stronger than Rog. Carthy might be. Tomorrow I hope for a Kuss win, the stage suits him.

The way this year has gone, there was no way he was going to win it. Thus not a possible stage win. I also haven't seen anything from him in la Vuelta this year to change my prediction that he doesn't race outside of Spain next year. Thus I stand by my statement that Movistar had no good reason at all to do any work at all. They got literally nothing out of it. This isn't the first time they've gotten nothing out of it.
Yep, famous "he will race only in Spain, to say goodbye to his fans" response. Expected one... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Fernandez
LoL. Costa getting declassified... for pushing Cort. Not that getting pushed hampered Cort much...

I like that they penalize swerves even where there is no crash. That makes it more credible.

Btw, many deviations are made by riders who feel that they are losing the sprint. An act of desperation - but not particularly risky since they will lose the sprint no matter if they are disqualified or not.

LOL, if Movistar had set properly Valverde for the sprint he would have won. Where did he start? From 300-350 mts?
He launched a very good sprint, with lot of power.

LOL, if Movistar had set properly Valverde for the sprint he would have won. Where did he start? From 300-350 mts?
He launched a very good sprint, with lot of power.

Obviously they didn't and thus did all that work for literally nothing again. Also he has exactly 0 wins this year. He has look poor to bad a good portion of the year and this Vuelta he has not been good. He form has never been good this year at all. Sorry, but doing all that work and not winning is literally doing all that work for NOTHING. They got no return, which is basically what has happened all season. Valverde has not been off all season and la Vuelta has not shown he can get his form back. Today, he may have had a good sprint with power, but what good it do? The answer is did nothing. So unless he form is drastically better at the begining of next season, next season it not only it, but it's nothing more than a farewell Tour in Spain.

Say thank you and goodbye to his home fans and his home races. Plus his contract is to race next year, he will honor what the contract says.
For what purpose exactly?
Goodbye to his fans? Well he could have do that in this Vuelta.
Honor the contract? He has a contract for next 3 or 4 years as far as I understood. Why wouldn't he took the pay cut, in order to save himself of another year like this one. I mean he's a big champion, one of the biggest in this century, and if he's not able to win races anymore, I really don't see a purpose of riding.
He could try in February/March I mean, but if he's not up there, then just quit.
What contract?! Don't give me that crap! Boonen quit when he saw he won't win anymore, Cancellara quit after Olympic Gold, Contador quit after spectacular Vuelta, they didn't give a damn about the contract!!! Valverde is too big of a champion to embarrass himself for a full year, hide in the peloton, winning nothing...
Just my few cents...

For what purpose exactly?
Goodbye to his fans? Well he could have do that in this Vuelta.
Honor the contract? He has a contract for next 3 or 4 years as far as I understood. Why wouldn't he took the pay cut, in order to save himself of another year like this one. I mean he's a big champion, one of the biggest in this century, and if he's not able to win races anymore, I really don't see a purpose of riding.
He could try in February/March I mean, but if he's not up there, then just quit.
What contract?! Don't give me that crap! Boonen quit when he saw he won't win anymore, Cancellara quit after Olympic Gold, Contador quit after spectacular Vuelta, they didn't give a damn about the contract!!! Valverde is too big of a champion to embarrass himself for a full year, hide in the peloton, winning nothing...
Just my few cents...

The contract is specifically 2 years to race and 3 additional years to be determined later.
Other than San Sebastian and La Vuelta basically all the Spanish races are over at the end of March.
As for Contador, la Vuelta is usually the end of the season for a lot riders if not before that, so not really quitting at that point. If I remember right, Trek knew Cancellara was ending his career at the Olympics before the season started and transitioned from rider to ambassador for team and brand not long after the Olympics. Boonen had made it well known the year before he was only racing through the classics the following year and retiring.
Could Valverde have done that before this Vuelta, yes, but that would have required having made the decision before this one started which he hadn't done. He's made the decision he'll race next year, but due to how frustrated he's been most of the season he's mostly said next year is it. He's also said he's most likely not going to the Olympics next year.
As the only races after March in Spain are basically San Sebastian and La Vuelta, it's not really that much he'd be planning on racing after March anyway.

You need to understand that Valverde loves cycling too much. Probably more than anyone else.
I think he will ride next year as his last. And he will ride it in a normal way, nothing of that Spain farewell. And I think the old man still has at least one win more in his legs.

You need to understand that Valverde loves cycling too much. Probably more than anyone else.
I think he will ride next year as his last. And he will ride it in a normal way, nothing of that Spain farewell. And I think the old man still has at least one win more in his legs.

He's already only planning on 1 Grand Tour being la Vuelta next year. So that's already not racing as he normally does.

• Sad
Reactions: TourOfSardinia

TRENDING THREADS