• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 2 (Pamplona - Lekunberri, 151.6 km)

Second mountain stage, and the only real descent finish of the race.
5ab67

3c692

They hit the intermediate sprint between 16:33 and 16:50 and finish between 17:20 and 17:42, as per the roadbook.

Climbs:
guirguillano14.gif

UrbasaS.gif

altimetria_sanmiguelaralar_.jpg

This is a weird stage... Not enough mountains for a breakaway... Although I'm sure Jauregui will try to get KOM points, and the jersey... I just don't see it to stick away until the finish, weather depending... If it rains hard, it might survive... Otherwise, GC teams will keep control of the front... Plus, the time distances are so small in the top 10 that they'll keep riding hard up the last climb, make a small selection 20 people, or so, for a sprint. So, again, Roglic, Carapaz, maybe Chavez will steal it at the line...

If Valverde is up there on the last climb, he might try to win... I still think, he'll get one stage this year, somehow, for us oldtimers;)

The results from 2014, when the stage finished at the summit of this climb, instead of going downhill. Fabio Aru took the win, and we saw Froome struggling but limiting his losses.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0ECv58Aow
Aru, Purito, Alberto, Froome. Six years ago and yet it feels like a different era.

TRENDING THREADS