• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 5 (Huesca - Sabiñanigo, 181.4 km)

The first of many middling mid-mountain stages.
0ce26

d3ef5

Reactions: richwallone
Aleksandr Vlasov showed much better shape on stage 3. He is my pick to win tonight's stage. Given his already extensive losses on GC, the top guns can afford to offer him a little freedom, which is all he will need.

150-1 is good value imo.

P.S. Bagioli is my other tip. No real reason. I just like the name.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomLPC
The way they've been riding/racing this year, it doesn't appear breaks are going to get much time on most stages, so reduced sprint is a good possibility. I don't think we get a repeat of stage 2, but it's 2020 and it's la Vuelta, so who knows.

The way they've been riding/racing this year, it doesn't appear breaks are going to get much time on most stages, so reduced sprint is a good possibility. I don't think we get a repeat of stage 2, but it's 2020 and it's la Vuelta, so who knows.
They have to start letting breaks go sooner or later. Any team that chases down every single break through the first 2 weeks is going to be on their knees in week 3. The effort required for the sake of a maximum 10s bonus day after day just seems a bit too expensive to me.

They have to start letting breaks go sooner or later. Any team that chases down every single break through the first 2 weeks is going to be on their knees in week 3. The effort required for the sake of a maximum 10s bonus day after day just seems a bit too expensive to me.

You'd think so. Although there is still the possibility of weather (forget Covid) shortening, cancelling, or changing some of the stages.

It should be a break but I'm really not writing anything off after Carapaz tried to attack on the flat the other day lol. We're also super sorted on GC already after the first couple of days so could see someone a bit further back try take a punt to get back into things (Chaves needs to recover that time though I think he'll save it for a day he can go early and try make it stick)

It should be a break but I'm really not writing anything off after Carapaz tried to attack on the flat the other day lol. We're also super sorted on GC already after the first couple of days so could see someone a bit further back try take a punt to get back into things (Chaves needs to recover that time though I think he'll save it for a day he can go early and try make it stick)
Remember last year on stage 2, Nairo Quintana won a stage by attacking on the flat.

• Love
Reactions: Eclipse
Looks like this is the new profile for tomorrow.

No-se-podra-subir-el-Tourmalet-el-Domingo-en-La-Vuelta-biescas-formigal-etapa-6-vuelta.jpg

It's basically a very similar stage to the legendary 2016 one. Unfortunately there aren't many choices to make it much harder unless they go further east and replicate part of today's stage. Part of me wants them to loop over Fanló and add the Vío-Fanlo doublette from today's stage as a duplicate just to add more to the legs to be perfectly honest. If the economy hadn't fallen apart a decade or so ago we'd be in a better position because Sahún would have been paved and then Sahún-Cerler would have been an option (Cerler is administered by the same people as Formigal and with a rest day following the transfer would be less of an issue).

Or use this as the MTF instead, as the toughest not-yet-used Aragonese MTF option...

c65c4e45ba1868ec3b7c47d7f94054fdo.png

Reactions: Red Rick
What about Presa de Llauset?
I was thinking that the last kilometre being in a tunnel would be a problem there, but looks like there's actually a mirador with a decent amount of parking just before the last tunnel so that would be possible, it would cut the climb slightly short but yes, that would still be 15,6km @ 6,7% by my reckoning, finishing at 2100m altitude, a vastly superior climb to Tella. It is, however, all the way over on the Aragón-Cataluña border which would make it harder for them to reasonably do here.

presa%2Bde%2BLlauset.PNG

Reactions: Forever The Best

TRENDING THREADS