• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 11 (Antequera - Valdepeñas de Jaén, 133.6 km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh my, time flies, already 11 years ago? Remember Antón's a tad downhill wide road with the peleton in sprint like position before the final climb.
And yes, he'd been the deserved winner by that year. It was like the crash sat limitations on his performance when recovered, though to a lesser extent than Beloki.
It still hurts my heart as well :(
I doubt that crash had any lasting physical impact on Antón. He could win Zoncolan 2011 and was 3rd in the Giro GC after that stage. That Zoncolan/Gardeccia weekend was the tipping point in his career as GT contender.
Antón said that he had never slept so relieved as the night after his crash in the 2010 Vuelta. His limitations were clearly in his head more than his legs.

Coming back to the stage, this hill always featured in the first week of the race and won by a puncheur/GC contender from the peloton. I was wondering if the stage placing in the second week might give a chance to the break, but it looks like Roglic wants the free 10s bonus.

I doubt that crash had any lasting physical impact on Antón. He could win Zoncolan 2011 and was 3rd in the Giro GC after that stage. That Zoncolan/Gardeccia weekend was the tipping point in his career as GT contender.
Antón said that he had never slept so relieved as the night after his crash in the 2010 Vuelta. His limitations were clearly in his head more than his legs.

But then the crash was still the main reason for him never reachng the same level again. It probably didn't help mentally that it was the second time a crash took him oit while he was in a good position either. First being a bit relieved that it was Martinez who was screaming on the ground, but then being devestated when Antón was shown trying to get back on his bike with blood all over him, also took its toll on me.

The only comforting thing about it was that it gave Nieve the chance to win a stage and get his first GT top 10 (once the Xacobea riders were removed).

Of course we'll never know if Antón would have actually won the race, but if he had taken more time out of Nibali on Peña Cabarga, it would definitely have looked good, even if he had lost the jersey again on the weird ITT.

E9o533AXEAsJ3hC

I don't really get why Cort is in the break. Yes, EF probably wanted someone in there, and Cort is obviously their best bet, but he was also in the break yesterday, and tomorrow's stage suits him much better (of course this stage is not bad for him either, but it was pretty clear from the start that a break wouldn't be able to make it).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't really get why Cort is in the break. Yes, EF probably wanted someone in there, and Cort is obviously their best bet, but he was also in the break yesterday, and tomorrow's stage suits him much better (of course this stage is not bad for him either, but it was pretty clear from the start that a break wouldn't be able to make it).
lol not clear at all, jumbo has a habit of gifting the break the stage, it could even now still happen!

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS