• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 13 (Belmez - Villanueva de la Serena, 203.7 km)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This race is getting increasingly embarrassing for Arnaud Demare.

In fact his whole season is like a flashback to the days of French sprinters getting two hundred wins at the Boucles de Nulle Part and then doing nothing whatsoever in any race that has another sprinter in it. And this Vuelta only barely counts as having other sprinters at it. He’s better than this.

Cort was probably completely dead due to the last 2 days, he finished outside of the top 100 today.

Yeah, but still - if you look at it, there is only one better sprinter left in the race, and that's Jakobsen who is showing clear signs of fatigue. So if Cort had approached the race as a sprinter, he might have been in there with a better shot of not only winning stages but also winning the green jersey. (Sure, it's hypothetic, but maybe Cort in good shape is actually a better sprinter than Demare and Matthews, especially in week two and three.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Cort was probably completely dead due to the last 2 days, he finished outside of the top 100 today.
Cort does not like to contest large bunch finishes. This is the more likely explanation for why he finished outside the top 100. He doesn’t enjoy fighting for position in large groups. This is also why he doesn’t do as well in the classics as his other traits suggest he might.

yeah. but he never intented to sprint (based on his interview at the start), same as in stage 8.

I thought he'd go for easy points at the intermediate sprint instead instead - but as he didn't, I guess he may not plan to finish the race anyway?! Nor will Jakobsen though, I think.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I guess they regarded those first riders basically as a late breakaway, instead of part of the peloton. 3s rule only applies for the "main peloton" (=largest group)
If I'm counting the groups right, the main peloton is the group from 13th to 51st and the two riders in 11th and 12th had a gap that was less than 3''.

EDIT: After re-reading the rules, it's not clear what counts as the peloton being split in different groups, and the main group having too small (1''-3'') gaps.

Link

In this situation, the following procedures apply from the first rider of the main peloton to cross
the line to the last rider of the main peloton to cross the line:
- if a difference of under 3 seconds is noted between the back of the back wheel of a
rider and the front of the front wheel of the following rider, the riders are given the
same time;
- If a difference of 3 seconds or more is noted between the back of the back wheel of
a rider and the front of the front wheel of the following rider, then the timekeeper shall
record a new time gap calculated from the front of the front wheel of the rider and
the front of the front wheel of the winner of the stage.

The “main peloton” refers to the group containing the highest number of riders.

[...]

Example no. 3 – Finish with the peloton divided into several groups (20 riders, then 60, then 80, then 30)
The rule applies to the group containing the highest number of riders as per the regulation above, in
other words from the group of 80 riders, in the following manner:
- the time gaps between the group of 20 and the group of 60, as well as the group of 60 and the
group of 80, are recorded if in excess of 1 second.
  • the time gaps within the group of 80 are recorded if in excess of 3 seconds.
  • the time gaps between the group of 80 and the group of 30 are recorded if in excess of 1
second.

Last edited:
If I'm counting the groups right, the main peloton is the group from 13th to 51st and the two riders in 11th and 12th had a gap that was less than 3''.
yeah, but the 3s rule only applies "from the first rider of the main peloton to cross the line to the last rider of the main peloton to cross the line" and "if the first rider of the peloton is more than 1 second behind the rider/group finishing ahead, the peloton is given a new time."

So from my understanding of the rules, it's correct this way. The "main peloton" starts with Modolo.

edit: the 2nd part is from page 5. I'd think that makes it relatively clear?

So when does the peloton have to split in different groups for the "main peloton" to be the whole peloton and not just a subset of it?

If the split (resulting in a 2'' gap) only happened in the last 500 m, would that be within the "main peloton" or between the "main peloton" and the leading group?
yeah, no idea. If it's interpreted like today, the rule doesn't make much sense indeed, because GC riders would still need to go full out.

On the other hand, I also think Bernal (or whoever else it would have been) deserves to get a better time in a case like this.

Last edited:
Hard to figure out whether it is was a strictly correct interpretation of the rules to give time gaps in that finish but morally Bernal deserves to gain a time gap for putting in the energy to stay up front and continue pushing on as the splits became apparent.
The gap only happened because Bernal took that right hand turn like *** and Pidcock then closed the gap with Bernal on his wheel.

Reactions: yaco
yeah, no idea. If it's interpreted like today, the rule doesn't make much change indeed, because GC riders would still need to go full out.

On the other hand, I also think Bernal (or whoever else it would have been) deserves to get a better time in a case like this.
It would seem to make sense to look at the composition of the peloton at the 3 km mark to later apply the 3 second rule. If gaps less than 3 seconds in that group are applied to give subsequently different groups from the peloton different times, that would seem to go against the purpose of the 3 second rule, which, like the 3 km rule, is supposed to take some of the pressure off of GC guys so that they and their teams are not pushing to be up front with the sprinters in the harrowing final few kilometers.

Reactions: search
Hahaha Jakobsen telling Senechal: "Congrats but if you don't look back you're no leadout"

View: https://twitter.com/lavuelta/status/1431292721436708867?s=19
Lol this looked really bad on him.
He didn't have the legs to follow wheels of Matteo. This was what caused him the win.

What should Fabio do?Stop and wait for Fabio at 60km/h when all his teammates were leading out Matteo?This is an absolute joke.

Even first class sprinters won't blame his lead out man when it was himself who lost position.

Will be waiting for a Fabio apology or an angry Patrick Lefevere.

BTW so happy for Floran. So many years working for others. He should be one of the stars in coming PR.

TRENDING THREADS