• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 17 (Unquera - Lagos de Covadonga, 185.8 km)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
E-NYz-iXEAwDoqw

I struggle to see what Movistar did wrong.
Lopez tried to go after Bernal and Roglic but wasnt strong enough. The last climb also clearly showed Mas didn't have the legs.
What should they have done differently?

I didn't watch all of the final, but I think the thing is that Movistar's efforts in this race don't seem coordinated at all. You can have a plan and it goes wrong, but Lopez and Mas each seem to ride their own race, independently. Maybe it doesn't matter, because Roglic is too strong and the others are presumably weaker than them. But it looks weird.

Movistar tactics were fine

Just no one can tough Roglic on the climbs

They can only really attack him on the descents

Where is the shark when you need him :p
Constantly attacking each other when your opponents are in front is pretty inexcusable tbh. Work together or wait behind the chase organized by Bahrain. But tiring each other for kilometres just to sit behind some helper who caught you again was just stupid.

I struggle to see what Movistar did wrong.
Lopez tried to go after Bernal and Roglic but wasnt strong enough. The last climb also clearly showed Mas didn't have the legs.
What should they have done differently?
Mas has less than a minute to Roglic and was his closest rival.

Normally, you would expect Lopez to pull to trying and bring roglic back for Mas. Instead Superman flailed about with some half hearted attacks to disrupt the chase and then didn't work for Mas at all.

Reactions: perico and SHAD0W93