• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 6 (Requena - Montaña de Cullera, 158.3 km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lopez or Mas probably need to find another 3 mins on Roglic to actually have a chance come that TT (and that's assuming he doesn't get any time on other stages). Unless Roglic blows (and imo he looks the strongest ATM) I'm not sure either can do that without one of them burying themselves for the other.

It's just really early for big sweeping statements like this. It depends on how form develops over 3 weeks. Especially on Gamoniteiru gaps should be in the minutes. I would consider Covadonga the bellwether for that, not a 2km hill top 2 weeks before.
He could, but he also might not. His level on TTs is wildly diverging and it's not a given he will flunk as badly as he did on La Planche des Belles Filles.
Yeah the general decent Lopez ITT would probably be slightly under 2 minutes, which is still a lot. But MALs inconsistency is his bigger problem still. He doesn't turn his climbing into 2 minutes of advantage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
"I looked back with 150 metres to go and I could see him coming,” Cort said of the advancing Roglič. :D

E9LA0n_WUAEPsHb

It's just really early for big sweeping statements like this. It depends on how form develops over 3 weeks. Especially on Gamoniteiru gaps should be in the minutes. I would consider Covadonga the bellwether for that, not a 2km hill top 2 weeks before.

Yeah the general decent Lopez ITT would probably be slightly under 2 minutes, which is still a lot. But MALs inconsistency is his bigger problem still. He doesn't turn his climbing into 2 minutes of advantage.

Ya, it easy but there isn't a huge amount of stages for the non TTists to make up time on Roglic and if you can't distance him, he beats you for bonus seconds. Movi, Bahrain and Ineos need to throw the kitchen sink at him on the stages that are there. Stage 9 will tell a lot I'd say and hopefully it's more fitting for attacks than Picon Blanco was. Waiting until 17 and 18 is a mistake when the 3 of those teams are currently stronger than Jumbo.

Do Movistar plan to ride the Vuelta in block or do they actually have a plan?

By the way the other day I was watching the Olympics men 200 meters finals and after watching the results all I could think of is of Movistar. Oh well, I hope they do something with that firepower.

The more I watch those last 100 meters, the more I'm convinced that it was Cort's abilities as a sprinter that gave him the stage win. He looks back, sees Roglic approaching, and then stands up and sprints to the finish line. I think most other riders would not have been able to do this after such an extreme effort on the climb and earlier on the stage.