• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My point is that people were discussing GC potential in a GT, and that winning a mountainstage from a break, and losing 1+ hour in GC, is nothing special in that regard. There are multiple breaks every GT, and there will always be riders winning from the break. So the real question should have been, what was your point? And again, that Pidcock did a great descent was nice, but hardly relevant. As for your comment about body parts...

66674741_879915579044622_8429800277246017238_n.jpg
When is that photo from?

I'm more on the side of Bolder. I'm not sure he has everything that he needs to be a GT contender. The TT is worse than that of Hindley and Kelderman. His positioning is often pretty bad and going from what we saw up until now he had also problems in hard multi-mountain racing.

That being said the course isn't actually bad for him, but there is not so much really steep stuff where he could excel. So in the end a Top 10 is for sure possible if he doesn't get hurt by bad positioning in a crosswind or so, but I have a hard time seeing him on the podium as he probably isn't even the best choice for his own team for that.

But stage wins could be possible if Roglic is not at a 100%. Bora said from the start he is the GC Leader for the Vuelta so maybe they are seeing more (and they were right with Hindley). Right now it seems hard to see him getting near the front. of the pack with not that many climbs where he can really use his power to weight ration optimal.

Obviously Higuita is not a great TT-er, but he also definitely isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He had more than decent performances in his last TT's. He is gonna loose a lot of time compared to Evenepoel of course and against Roglic if he competes. But to the likes of Carapaz etc. I am not so surre, and I think he is a better TT-er than Hindley is.

Also I think Higuita is being judged a lot on his last 1,5 years at EF. Especially the times he suffered in the Tour de France. The last season was a bit worse than he was before that time when he actually had some very good performances in Paris-Nice and won a great multi-mountain stage in his first half a year as a WT-pro in La Vuelta. The period after COVID he was unlucky with crashes in Dauphine and then encountering a wild Jungels. 2021 for him was a very sub-par season for me and looking at it too much doesnt do his skills justice whether you look at it from a puncheur, climing or any other perspective.

This year he has proven he does quite well on the multi-mountain stages as well. He was probably the best climber in the race in Catalunya and Suisse. He also won the only real mountain stage in Romandie, and he was only out of contention for GC there after crashing early in the race. His only poor performance of this season was Basque Country where he was not fit, but other than that he has been great almost everywhere. He has clearly made a step up at Bora, and after turning 25 a few days ago I think he still has margin for improvement. If have read so many times about guys that they would not be able to make the step into being a top-5 GC rider. Recent case being Gaudu for example. But with the form Higuita has been having the entire season he is just a contender for top-5 in my eyes.

I dont get the steep stuff, this Vuelta is not a Vuelta for grinding climbers alá 2003. You have multiple mountain stages with really hard percentages, and if youre a rider like Higuita and want to win the Vuelta, you have to be the best climber, and that means - most likely- that you have to make stuff happen on stage 15 to Sierra Nevada. The climbsare plenty hard to do such things, and you only have 30 km of ITT.

The way I see it, there are climbs for everybody this Vuelta, and thats how it should be. If youre Higuita or similar types of riders, there are stages to Collau Cancuaya, Les Praeres, Sierra de la Pandera and Sierra Nevada.

Simple in my eyes. Higuita will have a hard time distancing people on 5-6% gradients and even with mostly no hard mountains before the final climbs to the MTF it will be difficult for him on 7-8%. I think he could be strong enough to follow can he maintain a attack to stay away and take minutes of multiple mountain stages on other GC guys?

If there would be more 10-15 minutes really hard effort on steep inclines I think Higuita would be better suited to that. Normally there would be more such efforts in the Vuelta then this time around.

In also fear for the race in general that the Sierra Nevada finish will loom large and therefore some will be waiting with attacks. Then the third week isn't the best attack territory either. We will see the Vuelta is often kind of a wildcard. Goodbe a very interesting race nevertheless I don't like the course that much. That is of course only if Remco doesn't run away with it with 4-5 minutes early on like Pogacar did in the Tour 2021.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Simple in my eyes. Higuita will have a hard time distancing people on 5-6% gradients and even with mostly no hard mountains before the final climbs to the MTF it will be difficult for him on 7-8%. I think he could be strong enough to follow can he maintain a attack to stay away and take minutes of multiple mountain stages on other GC guys?

If there would be more 10-15 minutes really hard effort on steep inclines I think Higuita would be better suited to that. Normally there would be more such efforts in the Vuelta then this time around.

In also fear for the race in general that the Sierra Nevada finish will loom large and therefore some will be waiting with attacks. Then the third week isn't the best attack territory either. We will see the Vuelta is often kind of a wildcard. Goodbe a very interesting race nevertheless I don't like the course that much. That is of course only if Remco doesn't run away with it with 4-5 minutes early on like Pogacar did in the Tour 2021.
Yes, of course Higuita will have a hard time distancing the peloton on those kinda gradients, but I just lined 4 MTFs up where its more than possible to do some serious damage if youre the strongest climber/like steep gradients. Which is why I don't really get people saying its a Vuelta for diesel climbers - they have their stages as well, but its pretty balanced in terms of different mountains.

• Wow
I am surprised at people that consider this a perfect or almost perfect route for Remco. Sure, the climbs should be a bit better for him that in previous editions of La Vuelta, especially in the 3rd week, but 31km of ITT is not much even for modern times and the differences in the 23km TTT shouldn't be big either.

Nonethless I agree that if he can limit his losses in the hardest climbs he should be able to fight for the win but that's the big if.

I am surprised at people that consider this a perfect or almost perfect route for Remco. Sure, the climbs should be a bit better for him that in previous editions of La Vuelta, especially in the 3rd week, but 31km of ITT is not much even for modern times and the differences in the 23km TTT shouldn't be big either.

Nonethless I agree that if he can limit his losses in the hardest climbs he should be able to fight for the win but that's the big if.
Amount of TT matters less than the fact there's no mountain stages to lose 5 minutes in one go at.

The final week looks so bad, I was thinking of going to watch a stage or 2 but it's pointless. All in the middle of nowhere and the climbs are all 5%

Ahhhh now I know its going to be a fantastic Vuelta

and Tom Pidcock is super talented ...wins on Alp d Heuz on his Tour debut..amasing performance
and all the while cycle cross and MTB world champion and still training for those disciplines

man if he just puts his mind to it GT wins are definitely on the cards

Id like to see the Spanish do well at the Vuelta this year..... Landa and Mas , even Valverde
But also the Colombians of MAL, Chaves , Quintana and Higuita
Almedia, Hindley and Buchman could do good too

For me Remco as favourite is still more of the same old same old on here ...when he finishes a GT then maybe I will join the hype train
Though I do see him wear red and win a stage or 2

Amount of TT matters less than the fact there's no mountain stages to lose 5 minutes in one go at.

I see Remco losing close to 5 minutes on Sierra Nevada if he has a really bad day, that climb alone is a monster. Adding to that stages 8, 9, 14 and even 20 can also see him losing 1-2 minutes if he has a bad day so even if it is a pretty good route for him it would be benefit him more if the TTT was an ITT for example or if Sierra Nevada got replaced by a hilly stage (thank god that we still have it to give a chance to diesel climbers).

Reactions: Luthor
I see Remco losing close to 5 minutes on Sierra Nevada if he has a really bad day, that climb alone is a monster. Adding to that stages 8, 9, 14 and even 20 can also see him losing 1-2 minutes if he has a bad day so even if it is a pretty good route for him it would be benefit him more if the TTT was an ITT for example or if Sierra Nevada got replaced by a hilly stage (thank god that we still have it to give a chance to diesel climbers).
Most GTs have multiple stages where cracking can drop you out of GT contention.

Well most of the time a 'lighter' parcour give more hell. Due to the TTT and halfway the ITT, most climbers will know how much they need to make up to win, so i suspect a rather attractive GT. Also because the climbs are lighter, it is less of an issue to be afraid to try something earlier.

The parcour is only as heavy as the cyclist make it, so..
The major problem isn't less steep climbs alone. It's that in the final 2 weeks stages 15, 18 and 20 are the only ones with a remote chance of anything interesting happening before the final climb. And I'm expanding "interesting" to even include making the race hard enough to reduce the size of the peloton going into the finale.

• Wow
The major problem isn't less steep climbs alone. It's that in the final 2 weeks stages 15, 18 and 20 are the only ones with a remote chance of anything interesting happening before the final climb
Well, that's fairly normal for the Vuelta. But this version is a particularly bad one when it comes to route design. The Sierra Nevada stage where they finally do Hazallanas before the SN finish is one of very few highlights.

Last edited:
Please. Remco was 3 days away from finishing

And Pinot was 3 days away from winning Le Tour...one day away from a Giro podium...

The field is weak. You have to be on drugs or incredibly biased not to admit it. Comparing this field to the one at the Giro is lame as lame can be: bologna vs. spam. If that's your standard, it ain't mine. Where's the meat? No Pog, no Vingo, no Wout (who may be the New Merckx after all), no Bernal.

But if it results in a great fight, it's alright by me.

And Pinot was 3 days away from winning Le Tour...one day away from a Giro podium...

The field is weak. You have to be on drugs or incredibly biased not to admit it. Comparing this field to the one at the Giro is lame as lame can be: bologna vs. spam. If that's your standard, it ain't mine. Where's the meat? No Pog, no Vingo, no Wout (who may be the New Merckx after all), no Bernal.

But if it results in a great fight, it's alright by me.

Van Aert as the next Merckx?

You obviously have no clue how good Merckx was. VA will NEVER win a GT, ever

And you ask if I am the one on drugs

Van Aert as the next Merckx?

You obviously have no clue how good Merckx was. VA will NEVER win a GT, ever

And you ask if I am the one on drugs
I have clues, I'm 54, I watched Merckx and you didn't. I also read the "Remco is the New Merckx" nonsense, and put a twist to it in my post. After what I saw in July , Wout can battle for a GT win. So far, Remco hasn't shown anything like it.

Remco is like the black album...very good but way overrated. Before you take that one at face value, check this forum...you might get...a clue.

I have clues, I'm 54, I watched Merckx and you didn't. I also read the "Remco is the New Merckx" nonsense, and put a twist to it in my post. After what I saw in July , Wout can battle for a GT win. So far, Remco hasn't shown anything like it.

Remco is like the black album...very good but way overrated. Before you take that one at face value, check this forum...you might get...a clue.
Who's black album are you talking about, specifically?

Please take a moment to formulate your answer.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Lui98
Actually I hope Roglic skips this Vuelta since there is no need for him to win it anymore. second, if there are no big names racing it , I do believe it'd be more exciting & competitive.
Maybe I'm a pessimist fan, but I'm not that optimistic about Roglic being in top shape for 3 weeks.

If he takes a week and half to hit a good level that would actually be very exciting for the race because he'd likely lose time first then go ballistic later.

TRENDING THREADS