• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe I'm a pessimist fan, but I'm not that optimistic about Roglic being in top shape for 3 weeks.

If he takes a week and half to hit a good level that would actually be very exciting for the race because he'd likely lose time first then go ballistic later.
Roglic at 95% and the other 5-7 contenders in decent shape is going to make this a very competitive edition despite the route. I literally have no idea who will win, but if up to 6-8 people can, it's clearly better than the 3 that could win the tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree that the route is underwhelming, but at the same time I'd say the first 11 days or so are actually pretty good apart from a sprint or two too many. The problem starts with Penas Blancas being a very underwhelming climb for Unipuerto, Pandera has a similar problem and is basically only decent as a simpler mountain stage when surrounded by harder ones and Sierra Nevada, while being a monster is still lethargic for a queen stage.

I still like the idea of the final mountain stages being easier like in 2019, but even for that purpose stage 17-19 are just way too weak and underwhelming.

Can't be Jay-Z or Metallica, both those albums meet the overrated criterion but not the good one.
"Trash does not describe the genre, it merely describes the quality"

Btw, have there really been many stages in the Vuelta the last decade or so with big, long range attacks/or much action before the last climb from the top GC contenders?

Roglic at Covadonga.
Pogacar at the Plataforma de Gredos stage
A couple of Andorra stages
Strangely enough a couple of Formigal stages

More than this? And the action on the Formigal stages are probably more based on coincidence than good stage design.

Btw, have there really been many stages in the Vuelta the last decade or so with big, long range attacks/or much action before the last climb from the top GC contenders?

Roglic at Covadonga.

More than this? And the action on the Formigal stages are probably more based on coincidence than good stage design.
Aru winning the Vuelta on Morcuera in 2015. Morcuera-Cotos was also attacked from 50km out by MAL in 2019. When Yates won the Vuelta he attacked on Comella before the final climb in the final mountain stage as well. Contador won Angliru after Cordal descent attack in 2017.

You also forgot Fuente De.

Roglic at Covadonga.

Formigal is the anti-Arcalis. It is the kind of stage that usually is a recipe for a tempo climb and a last couple of kilometre shootout in modern cycling, and unless you access it from France via Pourtalet and turn it into a punchy finish on the end of a longer climb (along similar lines to the Châtel-Portes de Soleil stage in this year's Tour) there aren't really any selective climbs near enough to it to do much more than that with it, but it just seems to have an aura that creates racing, wheres Arcalis just has this negative aura that seems to dissuade anybody from trying anything when, on paper, it's a perfectly reasonable cat.1.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Metallica it is in my all-time favorite forum signature, Netserk's "Cancellara is like the Black album, really good but way overrated".
giphyqaaqs.gif

Roglic at Covadonga.

Stage 20 last year.
Stage 17 in 2019. No climbs. Just echelons action since the start to end as the fastest >200km stage ever.
Andorra 2015

I don't mind if Rogla takes it.

Still the fact is he is now training injured and this type of injury takes longer to heal then the time frame available. On top of that it's a nasty injury that can cause issues long term. On the plus side he is receiving some quality physiotherapy that can slightly speed thing up. Hence if he will participate then i guess stage 10 will be a rather big milestone. On top of being be a prestigious battle in between him and Remco. Considering Remco will likely lost time in TTT. And he won't be happy about that.

If Rogla doesn't participate who will be the leader at JV?

• Wow
Formigal is the anti-Arcalis. It is the kind of stage that usually is a recipe for a tempo climb and a last couple of kilometre shootout in modern cycling, and unless you access it from France via Pourtalet and turn it into a punchy finish on the end of a longer climb (along similar lines to the Châtel-Portes de Soleil stage in this year's Tour) there aren't really any selective climbs near enough to it to do much more than that with it, but it just seems to have an aura that creates racing, wheres Arcalis just has this negative aura that seems to dissuade anybody from trying anything when, on paper, it's a perfectly reasonable cat.1.

Arcalis was fine in 1997. Had back to back climbs immediately preceding it. Came at the end of a nearly 8 hour stage

This for sure will be an interesting duel. Remco likely better at TT and potential attacks. Almeida likely a bit better at pacing himself up the hill. But will it be enough to drop Remco? We'll see.

It all depends on Remco’s recovery. Almeida, we know is excellent at recovery. Remco is the stronger rider on a given day. If Remco matches Almeida’s recovery abilities, this will not be close. If he does not, this will not be close the other way.

It all depends on Remco’s recovery. Almeida, we know is excellent at recovery. Remco is the stronger rider on a given day. If Remco matches Almeida’s recovery abilities, this will not be close. If he does not, this will not be close the other way.

As youngsters i feel they both are still figuring out the winning formula. In regards to a GT race. Hence for now mostly gaining experience and learning. Here i feel that Evenepoel likely has a bit more eager team behind him compared to Almeida. In addressing the areas he is not the best at. Said that i won't be surprised if he will be able to hang on to Almeida on the hill. Still there is a stratospheric hill or two involved.

Hence hard to say and best to wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS