• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If he would say something like that, you wouldn't see the end of how arrogant he is, having achieved ''nothing'' and that he has still ''everything to prove'', or what a ''nasty creepy guy'' he is (no, i'm not making this last one up, it comes up a lot on Wielerflits). I'm not joking, take a random Wielerflits article from before his win in Liège and read the comments (there is a handy translate plugin for firefox that works on the text you selected, if you need it). Because that's literally what he used to do, go to a race and when asked, he would say that he would try to win. Initially people thought it was cute, until he actually started winning a lot of those races he said he wanted to win. Then suddenly it wasn't that cute anymore but arrogant and whatnot. When Pidcock said he wanted to win the TDF one day, people reacted positively to it. When Evenepoel says anything remotely similar, he's an arrogant brad.
I’m not normally a fan of downplaying expectations but this is a situation where I fully support it. He’s still going to get roasted through no fault of his own if he doesn’t podium though.

The parcours of the Vuelta will tell us around stage 12 if Remco is in the game - The vuelta tends to frond load their GT's, unlike the Giro which heavily backends it's parcours - You get a much better read about Remco's progress after stage 12 in the Vuelta, as opposed to stage 12 in the Giro.

The parcours of the Vuelta will tell us around stage 12 if Remco is in the game - The vuelta tends to frond load their GT's, unlike the Giro which heavily backends it's parcours - You get a much better read about Remco's progress after stage 12 in the Vuelta, as opposed to stage 12 in the Giro.
Yes, another example why the Vuelta is just a better race these days. My relationship with the Giro is done after what I have been watching the last couple of years, the Vuelta simply always delivers.

Not Vuelta related, but Spain related, so I think it still belongs here :D

Samuel Sanchez remembers his win at the Olmypic games 2008 in Beijing, 14 years ago now.

View: https://twitter.com/soysamusanchez/status/1556909878651797504

For Spain it was Sanchez, Sastre, Freire, and the youngsters Valverde and Condator.

FZtBRvZWYAAXb_L

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
How is saying he can win the Vuelta downplaying it? :neutral:
Google Translate sez:

"He's having a really exceptional season, it's great to see him so strong. In his current condition, he is capable of doing great things and we will help him to do the maximum. Everything is possible. I hope he will win. He can do it. And if he doesn't win, he can do great things, great numbers, great victories. This is the team's goal."

I'm with you, I'm not seeing how this is downplaying things. I mean "downplaying" is a wholly subjective term (downplaying compared to...?), but to me this seems like a clear and accurate assessment of Remco's chances. I would agree this is downplaying compared to some of the more hysterical prognostications, but given where Remco is, this is a great characterization and the right approach, IMO.

Google Translate sez:

"He's having a really exceptional season, it's great to see him so strong. In his current condition, he is capable of doing great things and we will help him to do the maximum. Everything is possible. I hope he will win. He can do it. And if he doesn't win, he can do great things, great numbers, great victories. This is the team's goal."

I'm with you, I'm not seeing how this is downplaying things. I mean "downplaying" is a wholly subjective term (downplaying compared to...?), but to me this seems like a clear and accurate assessment of Remco's chances. I would agree this is downplaying compared to some of the more hysterical prognostications, but given where Remco is, this is a great characterization and the right approach, IMO.
Wasn't "the downplaying things" sarcastic--I thought that was already pointed out?

Reactions: noob

TRENDING THREADS