• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On Landa

Saw an interviews in Spanish before 1st stage Vuelta Burgos, he said there already that he would be satisfied with a stage on the Vuelta.

Remember we are talking about a guy who had his best opportunity to win a Giro this year, and who instead said he was satisfied with podium.

I am forever a fan but he's not the most ambitious guy. A shame, in 2015 we thought he can conquer everything.

But as long as he is happy.

Remco level after 3 weeks is impossible to predict . Just enjoy, the anticipation
I don't think Evenepoel is that tough to predict, he'll be in red after the first stage, lose time in the uphill finishes of stage 6 and 8, gain time back in the stage 10 TT only to blow spectacularly on Penas Blancas or possibly not until Sierra Nevada.

We might finally see Remco finish a grand tour. If he stays on his bike I think he’s the favourite but with "ifs". Funny how the prelude suggests 23km of time trialing is a lot when back in the 90s the TdF usually had two 50km ITTs. How times have changed.

Maybe Mas can finally deliver? Movistar are desperate.

But interested to see Hindley’s form, if he can climb like in the Giro then he will be in the mix. Higuita should be a good asset for him. But he and Bora will likely need to change tactics. The enigma Landa is also back and can't be ruled out as a chance.

A wide open field but definitely Remco the top favourite for me.

I'm still hoping Roglic can make it.

On the other hand, he's the kind of guy that wouldn't mind going to the Vuelta while not being fit and hoping ends will meet during the commotion.

I guess he might be thinking that while he has nothing to prove to anyone, crashing at the Tour might have hurt his pride.

Otherwise, I cannot see how Remco can win the Vuelta or even podium. Unless he has really improved his climbing skills.
I'm hoping that Almeida can put on a show after his Giro's demise. After Burgos I think he can really be confident.

Last edited:
Almeida will win

Superman Lopez will put 3 minutes on everyone at Sierra Nevada

Sergio Higuita Monster will take most of the bonuses seconds.

Remco tantrum + DNF

Nibali stage win

Masnada stage win #freefausto

Landa is pretending he has no form and no ambition. He will podium.

The top 5:

1. Joao Almida
  2. Superman Lopez
  3. Mikel Landa Meana
  4. Sergio Higuita Monster
  5. Richard Carapaz

10. Alejandro Valverde

I just jinxed all my favourites riders, there you are guys

Guys, I can only assume none of you were Contador fans in 2014. I was, so I feel confident in saying that, having inherited the role of latter day Contador, Roglic will win the Vuelta. Contador did it with a broken tibia; Roglic will do it with broken vertebrae. I’m somewhat kidding, but still I am going on the record as predicting a Roglic victory. He will win the Vuelta.

FZ1bDsSUcAEWKy5

What really caught my eye: Pavel Sivakov is on the preliminary startlist of the Deutschland Tour. Of course plans can change, but It's kind of strange. On the other hand Bernal is rumoured to start there but is not on the startlist. So changes can still happen, but the startlist was only published today. So I don't know what this means tbh.
Also saw this with a surprise. Let´s see what it means in the end. Also Majka and Padun are on the startlist for the Deutschland Tour, which means that they will perhaps not participate at the vuelta.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Is Roglic going to start? He is still on the start list at PCS.

Anyway, in addition to Remco, it will also be very interesting to see Carlos Rodriguez and Juan Ayuso for the first time in a GT. Even though the route is mostly dreadful, it will be interesting to see these youngsters matched against Carapaz, Hindley, Mas, etc.

Guys, I can only assume none of you were Contador fans in 2014. I was, so I feel confident in saying that, having inherited the role of latter day Contador, Roglic will win the Vuelta. Contador did it with a broken tibia; Roglic will do it with broken vertebrae. I’m somewhat kidding, but still I am going on the record as predicting a Roglic victory. He will win the Vuelta.

Not as confident as you, but was thinking about that Contador 2014 similarity too.

Is Roglic going to start? He is still on the start list at PCS.

Anyway, in addition to Remco, it will also be very interesting to see Carlos Rodriguez and Juan Ayuso for the first time in a GT. Even though the route is mostly dreadful, it will be interesting to see these youngsters matched against Carapaz, Hindley, Mas, etc.

Ayuso will not be there, will he?

And Roglic is still up in the air.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I'm still hoping Roglic can make it.

On the other hand, he's the kind of guy that wouldn't mind going to the Vuelta while not being fit and hoping ends will meet during the commotion.

I guess he might be thinking that while he has nothing to prove to anyone, crashing at the Tour might have hurt his pride.

Otherwise, I cannot see how Remco can win the Vuelta or even podium. Unless he has really improved his climbing skills.
I'm hoping that Almeida can put on a show after his Giro's demise. After Burgos I think he can really be confident.

I want Roglic there only if he's really ok and in form. I don't want to see an accomplished rider like him torture himself over three weeks with a constant Roglic-cam watching him let go of the peloton with a pained grimace on his face.

Not the first time bookies take bets on riders not starting a race. They did it with Sastre before the 2011 TDF.

Most of them are refunding stakes on nonstarters though , and I guess they are just offering now with a small chance plans would be changed for Ayuso. Just because it was said before the season he would not ride any GTs that does not always mean it wont be changed and Marca actually had a article out in june where Ayuso said it was not 100% sure anymore he would not start the Vuelta afterall, so I think its not that unlikely he will start.

TRENDING THREADS