• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic posted this philosophical pic on Instagram. What is he thinking about?

FaBz7zhWYAIzZtP

How much buffer should Remco have over me halfway throught the race? Half an hour should be enough.

Looks like Ciro was right. Indeed quite an interesting build up with no small stage race, but maybe they are just trying to make sure that he's not too burned out or whatever.

What do you guys reckon we can expect of Juan?
Nobody knows what Ayuso's limits are, but if UAE has given him this long contract it is because they know he is good or will be good, I think that in the first mountain stages they will give him the freedom to know how far he can go, It is the best way to know what his level is and where he has to improve.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for watches? I mean a good old Casio watch is perfect fine for me, and probably keeps better time too.
I have some knockoffs of top quality watches because that's what we do in Thailand. One is of the Franck Mueller Crazy Hours, which a friend in the US dubbed the "Ferris Bueller." I cherish that watch just for the nickname.

So we're going to find out about Roglic tomorrow? I say 40 % chance he lines up for Stage 1. What do you guys think?

I've been a fan of his for a long time and I don't want him to rush back but man this race is just so different with him in it. I suppose if you're obsessed with Remco either because you think he's the future GOAT or because you're anxious for the world to realize once and for all that he isn't a GC rider, then I guess you're excited for the Vuelta. Personally, I might be the only person here who feels this way but I don't have strong feelings about Remco. He's a good rider, he doesn't seem like a GC guy but outside of the Tour, who knows. Then again if Vingegaard can go from being a guy who can't win anything 2 months ago (sorry, I meant 2 years ago) ago to winning the fastest Tour in history, I guess Remco could become the Cannibal 2.0. Either way, I am apathetic about Remco.

Beyond that, this is field is just the Giro redone, right down to an equally uninspiring route.

However, throw in Roglic and suddenly you have an older rider chasing history. Plus with Roglic, each stage is must see TV.

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it either way because I love cycling. But I sure hope a healthy and ready Roglic lines up

So we're going to find out about Roglic tomorrow? I say 40 % chance he lines up for Stage 1. What do you guys think?

I've been a fan of his for a long time and I don't want him to rush back but man this race is just so different with him in it. I suppose if you're obsessed with Remco either because you think he's the future GOAT or because you're anxious for the world to realize once and for all that he isn't a GC rider, then I guess you're excited for the Vuelta. Personally, I might be the only person here who feels this way but I don't have strong feelings about Remco. He's a good rider, he doesn't seem like a GC guy but outside of the Tour, who knows. Then again if Vingegaard can go from being a guy who can't win anything 2 months ago (sorry, I meant 2 years ago) ago to winning the fastest Tour in history, I guess Remco could become the Cannibal 2.0. Either way, I am apathetic about Remco.

Beyond that, this is field is just the Giro redone, right down to an equally uninspiring route.

However, throw in Roglic and suddenly you have an older rider chasing history. Plus with Roglic, each stage is must see TV.

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it either way because I love cycling. But I sure hope a healthy and ready Roglic lines up

I think the chance is higher that he will go than not. I don't see the point in keeping the suspense if they end up not sending him. I think they should have a good idea of whether or not he can race it by now.

Also, what does it matter that the Tour was the fastest in history? That doesn't really say anything about Vingegaard's win.

I think the chance is higher that he will go than not. I don't see the point in keeping the suspense if they end up not sending him. I think they should have a good idea of whether or not he can race it by now.

Also, what does it matter that the Tour was the fastest in history? That doesn't really say anything about Vingegaard's win.

We could argue about whether not the overall speed of a race is a reflection of the winner or rather a reflection of team strength, conditions and course design. In general, sure, race speed is more about those things above. However, for those of us who watched the sport through the 90's and early 2000's, we sure heard a lot about race speed being a reflection of how great those GC winners were.

Beyond race speed, the better indication of how dominant Vingegaard's win was is the fact that he beat the 2x defending champion someone who is also a 2x monument winner and a champion at every level of the sport from just about the moment he got on a bike as a kid, he beat that guy by what 3 minutes until Ving gave up time on the Champs. Then you had a Tour of Switzerland winner and Tour de France winner basically 8 minutes back. A top 10 that spanned over 25 minutes (after stage 21 is taken out). Plus Ving never had a bad day and honestly, looked like he could have won more stages, including the final time trial if he really wanted to push it to the max.

All of those things, more so than overall speed, makes Vingegaard's Tour win (his first major victory) one of the most dominant Tour de France victories of recent memory.

Last edited:
We could argue about whether not the overall speed of a race is a reflection of the winner or rather a reflection of team strength, conditions and course design. In general, sure, race speed is more about those things above. However, for those of us who watched the sport through the 90's and early 2000's, we sure heard a lot about race speed being a reflection of how great those GC winners were.

Beyond race speed, the better indication of how dominant Vingegaard's win was is the fact that he beat the 2x defending champion someone who is also a 2x monument winner and a champion at every level of the sport from just about the moment he got on a bike as a kid, he beat that guy by what 3 minutes until Ving gave up time on the Champs. Then you had a Tour of Switzerland winner and Tour de France winner basically 8 minutes back. A top 10 that spanned over 25 minutes (after stage 21 is taken out). Plus Ving never had a bad day and honestly, looked like he could have won more stages, including the final time trial if he really wanted to push it to the max.

All of those things, more so than overall speed, makes Vingegaard's Tour win (his first major victory) one of the most dominant Tour de France victories of recent memory, Impressive first major victory for sure.

Obviously, average speed doesn't have anything to do with the GC winners... How big a percentage of the time do you think they are in front of the field, driving the pace?

Besides that, you don't have to convince me that it was an impressive win. No doubt about that, but it certainly has nothing to do with average speed.

I think average speed benefits from shorter stages and aerodynamic evolution.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS