• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 14: Montoro - Sierra de la Pandera, 160.3k

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mas will win this bike race, mark my words. Both Primoz and Remco will ride together in tomorrows last climb, 5 minutes behind Mas, who will win the stage and GC as well. Baby Merckx is just not a GT rider and Roglic will get caught by not optimal preparation and will fade badly. Slow and steady wins GTs and Mas is the one this time.
Mas would be the last from top 7 that I put my money on for winning tomorrow.

I don't blame Carapaz for it. Even if it was intentional I can see why he would prefer this over a 5th place in the GC.
From a spectator point of view I don't enjoy it because (1) It makes it a lot harder for the GC riders to actually win mountain stages themselves and (2) Other riders in the break often can't contest them which makes the battle in the break more boring.
Gesbert did contest for the stage win at Penas Blancas and obviously today ain't no other escapee would've won atop Sierra de la Pandera!

I don't blame Carapaz for it. Even if it was intentional I can see why he would prefer this over a 5th place in the GC.
From a spectator point of view I don't enjoy it because (1) It makes it a lot harder for the GC riders to actually win mountain stages themselves and (2) Other riders in the break often can't contest them which makes the battle in the break more boring.

Disagree.
  1. If GC riders wants to win the stage, the breakaway rarely has a chance.
  2. Quite often you get boring breakaway battle for the stage win, regardless of the riders presented.

Actually having strong breakway (former GC riders) could force the GC to ride harder, thus making the stage more exciting.

Verrückt, dass Valverde hier vor 19 Jahren gewonnen hat.

spaniard-alessandro-valverde-followed-by-colombian-felix-cardenas-as-picture-id2517108

[/ZITIEREN]

Look at that jersey, I will never unterstand how they couldnt figure out that smth more aerodynamic could actually be of advantage alsooutside of TTs. I mean the knowledge was there, why not apply it. 19 years isnt that long ago is it?

Mas will win this bike race, mark my words. Both Primoz and Remco will ride together in tomorrows last climb, 5 minutes behind Mas, who will win the stage and GC as well. Baby Merckx is just not a GT rider and Roglic will get caught by not optimal preparation and will fade badly. Slow and steady wins GTs and Mas is the one this time.
Slow and steady is what I do: it wins nothing.

Wheelsucking, bluffing, or cracking are all the same with him.

Remarkable defense by Remco. I expected more serious blow, but boy held up honorably.

And does anyone help other in UAE? They really are peculiar team.

I would put my money on this being the beginning of the end for Remco. Thats how he fades out of contention. When he is cracking it's not like 15mins in one day and he is out of it. Similar story during last years giro, it wasn't a total and sudden collapse there either. After the gravel stage people were debating if it was just his riding skills or his performance deteriorating.

Not according to the most definitive source: Mas himself.

Congratulations to Richard Antonio Carapaz Montenegro for winning the stage.

Intense stage where a lot of kilometers went by before the breakaway established itself. JV more or less rode a perfect stage. Went all in with the team in sections the team could make a real difference. Gesink and especially Harper enforcing the damaging pace. Till the steepest sections where Roglič took over and it paid off. Gained time on both Evenepoel and Mas. It looked worse for Evenepoel at first but he still managed to pace himself to mitigate the damage. Superb ride by Roglič. First glimpse of Roglič and López duet for tomorrow. Almeida getting in form. The final descend on top looked more like F1 race.

Beautiful stage.

Reactions: Oldermanish
No Mas..........
I wouldn't discount him at all. He has been a dieselclimber like most Spanish fans have noted and, if not stressed by climbs before the last big one he could be serious trouble for the other GC guys. The uncertainty for the top three is that is uncharted territory for each of them based on current history. Remco's new to this and his team is not drilled to deal with his leadership role. Primoz is a form Sphinx and that messes with everyone's willingness to get aggressive if they're truly a contender. Mas has to only think of this last stage where trying to stay on Roglic's wheel hurt him.
It should be an "epic" stage but the outcome could surprise us all. At least we know Carapaz is tired.

I wouldn't discount him at all. He has been a dieselclimber like most Spanish fans have noted and, if not stressed by climbs before the last big one he could be serious trouble for the other GC guys. The uncertainty for the top three is that is uncharted territory for each of them based on current history. Remco's new to this and his team is not drilled to deal with his leadership role. Primoz is a form Sphinx and that messes with everyone's willingness to get aggressive if they're truly a contender. Mas has to only think of this last stage where trying to stay on Roglic's wheel hurt him.
It should be an "epic" stage but the outcome could surprise us all. At least we know Carapaz is tired.
I was joking. of course he is still in the race. Remains to be seen if the last stage was the start of Remco's struggles or just a bad day.

Reactions: Cookster15
"We are fifth in the team classification after two weeks of racing, that's why I'm very motivated to finish as good as possible in each stage." Finally someone (Taaramäe) cares about the important things! :)

"We are fifth in the team classification after two weeks of racing, that's why I'm very motivated to finish as good as possible in each stage." Finally someone (Taaramäe) cares about the important things! :)

Bah gawd, King, that's Eusebio Unzué's music!!!

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS