• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 14: Montoro - Sierra de la Pandera, 160.3k

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unpopular opinion but I dislike potential GC riders (e.g. Carapaz) dropping tons of time to then pubstomp 2nd tier climbers in the break.
Are you sure that was intentional in this case. Carapaz lost time but by bit in early going so It looks to me like he wasn’t feeling great the 1st week and now he is. When that happens he might as well make the best of it?

Mate I don't like Remco either but these comment are a bit embarrassing, to call Remco fat is why we get cyclist with eating disorders and I don't like too much to enjoy others suffering
If he's fat as pro cyclist then he must have a disorder............most of these guys without a shirt, look like they just got out of a Siberian prison.........let's just say he looks more like Cadel Evans than Andy Schleck..........

Mas only gained 20 seconds on Remco in the end!

MAS cracked ...remember he rode GC at the Tour to stage 19 ..he is bound ot be tired

I bet roglic wishes it was a normal vuelta with the decisive stages in 3rd week. I don't see anything in last week where RE loses proper time, so Rog has to smash him tomorrow.

Stage 20 a week today will be decisive

Are you sure that was intentional in this case. Carapaz lost time but by bit in early going so It looks to me like he wasn’t feeling great the 1st week and now he is. When that happens he might as well make the best of it?
So if you are a potential GC rider who falls out of contention, what are you supposed to do for the rest of the Vuelta? Booze it up like Andy Schleck?

I don't blame Carapaz for it. Even if it was intentional I can see why he would prefer this over a 5th place in the GC.
From a spectator point of view I don't enjoy it because (1) It makes it a lot harder for the GC riders to actually win mountain stages themselves and (2) Other riders in the break often can't contest them which makes the battle in the break more boring.

I
I don't blame Carapaz for it. Even if it was intentional I can see why he would prefer this over a 5th place in the GC.
From a spectator point of view I don't enjoy it because (1) It makes it a lot harder for the GC riders to actually win mountain stages themselves and (2) Other riders in the break often can't contest them which makes the battle in the break more boring.
I agree. But for me this is a different story than a GC guy who sets out planning to lose 30’ minutes in stage 3. Carapaz is a champion and also is typically pretty strong late in GTs. However, if I were Ineos DS I would say to him “okay you’ve snagged 2 stages—for the rest of the race put that good form solely in the service of Carlos to get him on the podium.”