• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 14: Montoro - Sierra de la Pandera, 160.3k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you want to try somthing you probably need to wait until 4 and 3 km from the finish. After that there are a few 200meter sections that are relative steep, but everything else is 'rolling' and the final 1.5km is easy. That means that 2km to put in a distance... don't think we will see any difference here. (Unless someone cracks... or gets sick)

This is a continuation of stage 11 and still preparation for stage 15. Hence JV should pace the peloton in reasonable tempo until they blow up. That is on the final climb. The bunch should by then be reduced and plenty of road still left ahead. Ideally Roglič, Evenepoel and Mas to be there. Plus a couple of youngsters. Maybe a domestique or two to burn from other teams. After that some severe tempo changing to be applied. Mas will target Rogla, youngsters will target all. Rogla to bluff a bit if and when needed. Hopefully for Evenepoel to do more work chasing and closing attacks than Roglič following. It's a risk but i do feel that some preparation for stage 15 is still needed.

what is more likely is Remco goes to the front and sets the tempo, preventing these changes in tempo you have mentioned

Reactions: Tonton
Plenty of ascending at the end of the two coming days.
Finally, an MTF stage (or even both :eek:) could go to the GC contenders.
For tomorrow, I’m not sure who will drive the peloton to keep the break close enough? If Jumbo had their Tour squad-level team here, I would anticipate them wanting to make it hard stage and keep GC in play, but they absolutely don’t have the strength here. Not sure if Ineos does either. And QS only needs to keep the break within range enough to not allow someone like Kelderman to sneak back into the GCpicture.

For tomorrow, I’m not sure who will drive the peloton to keep the break close enough? If Jumbo had their Tour squad-level team here, I would anticipate them wanting to make it hard stage and keep GC in play, but they absolutely don’t have the strength here. Not sure if Ineos does either. And QS only needs to keep the break within range enough to not allow someone like Kelderman to sneak back into the GCpicture.
I'm counting on fatigue to chase down the breakaway.
More likely on Sunday, I agree, but that's the idea.

Well... tomorrow it could be mayhem if you ask me... Which team has the strength to prevent a breakaway similar to the one on Peñas Blancas stage? Do you think Evenepoel and QS will be bothered with someone like Hindley, Carapaz, De La Cruz, Valverde, Carthy, Padun getting on a large break? I don't think so, so it will be up to Ineos, Jumbo, Astana and UAE to bring them back. Do they have the strength to do it? IMO no they haven't... so i'm looking forward to absolute chaos to happen :hearteyes:

P.S. just whisful thinking

• Wow
Reactions: noob
GC -wise, the final climb will be raced fast and it will peel from the back. Who will be able to follow the two bulls? Mas will defend or stick a banderilla for the Spanish TV and go back to sucking wheels and defending.

Like in July, the mix for 3-10 is boiling, the fight is on: now. If one of them is in the break, several teams may work and help JV/QS before or even during the final climb.

Three Spaniards at 3-4-5: I like it!

Jai Vine showed signs of weakness, Carapaz is back to his old tricks, Padun deserves it, but I want a Pinot win real bad. That stage would logically have been a pre-Vuelta target, a stage for the breakaway before a huge GC showdown on Sunday. Allez Thibaut!

Aside from Alaf' (get well!), there are not too many French riders who can win bike races outside of the Poitou-Charentes region these days: Tibopino is one who can, and I hope that it stays that way.

If Pinot doesn't win, I want Nibali to go nuts as soon as the flag goes down, solo all the way, and win by one hour.

GC -wise, the final climb will be raced fast and it will peel from the back. Who will be able to follow the two bulls? Mas will defend or stick a banderilla for the Spanish TV and go back to sucking wheels and defending.

Like in July, the mix for 3-10 is boiling, the fight is on: now. If one of them is in the break, several teams may work and help JV/QS before or even during the final climb.

Jai Vine showed signs of weakness, Carapaz is back to his old tricks, Padun deserves it, but I want a Pinot win real bad. That stage would logically have been a pre-Vuelta target, a stage for the breakaway before a huge GC showdown on Sunday. Allez Thibaut!

Aside from Alaf' (get well!), there are not too many French riders who can win bike races outside of the Poitou-Charentes region these days: Tibopino is one who can, and I hope that it stays that way.

If Pinot doesn't win, I want Nibali to go nuts as soon as the flag goes down, solo all the way, and win by one hour.

Nibali please, Nibali, just one last time!! Flying to win it and taking that red jersey by storm!! It would be a dream but... not going to happen :confused_old:

Even if that happens he'll only move up to 6th on GC :p

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well... tomorrow it could be mayhem if you ask me... Which team has the strength to prevent a breakaway similar to the one on Peñas Blancas stage? Do you think Evenepoel and QS will be bothered with someone like Hindley, Carapaz, De La Cruz, Valverde, Carthy, Padun getting on a large break? I don't think so, so it will be up to Ineos, Jumbo, Astana and UAE to bring them back. Do they have the strength to do it? IMO no they haven't... so i'm looking forward to absolute chaos to happen :hearteyes:

P.S. just whisful thinking
idk a couple riders around 15th in GC, getting into a break and moving up to 7th and 8th doesn't sound much like chaos to me.