• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 15: Martos - Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. Monachil, 152.6k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Remco either keeps it save or loses 15 minutes. I see no scenario where he only loses some time. If he pays the check, it's gonna be a big one.

Sierra Nevada itself actually is a very favorable climb for him after Hazallanas. Constant gradients. He has to be completely broken to lose significant time there. Then, it's gonna be enormous though.

Maybe he had his weakness on the ideal day. Normally he shouldn't hesitate and just ride his own tempo.

Remco either keeps it save or loses 15 minutes. I see no scenario where he only loses some time. If he pays the check, it's gonna be a big one.

Sierra Nevada itself actually is a very favorable climb for him after Hazallanas. Constant gradients. He has to be completely broken to lose significant time there. Then, it's gonna be enormous though.

Maybe he had his weakness on the ideal day. Normally he shouldn't hesitate and just ride his own tempo.
If the legs are like today, he could be gapped by a group that could (somewhat) work together after the steep part, even if he is in damage control and doesn't go over his limit. So I think it's quite unlikely that he implodes, but likely that he is distanced.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I didn't think I'll be excited for this stage, however, I am.
Roglic will try to get at least 30 more seconds, breakaway has no chance, as bonuses may be important.
Looking forward to MAL doing a MAL

"Come on, superman, for Godness sake!"
I think on this final climb Roglic will try to get at least 1 minute. No way he is shooting for 30 seconds. That would be a victory for Remco. This is the hardest stage of the Vuelta before a rest day. You have to bet everything.

The easiest GT queen stage in a long time has suddenly become one of the most hotly anticipated too. The good news for Evenepoel is that Unipublic changed the second half of the MTF a month ago to make it easier, but that alone isn't reassuring when you've just lost almost a minute on a climb that's still only half as difficult...

1212b

b0ed8

The stage is very similar to the 2017 one, only with a longer run-in and the order of Purche and Hazallanas flipped.

Puerto del Castillo:
CastilloN.gif

Alto del Purche:
Alto%20de%20Monachil.gif

Alto Hoya de la Mora (apologies for the blurry profile, very hard to find one for this exact side as opposed to the harder route through Sabinas!):
sierra-nevada-por-haza-llana-ctra-principal-y-pradollano.jpg
This climb looks different to the one that is shown in procycling stats. Don't tell me it is different and that yours is the correct one because I will start looking for kittens. The second part in your profile is BS. Cannot be!!!

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-15-climb-n2-b416100540.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco himself stated that he sped up when roglic went and he blew up a bit, that costed him a fair amount of time. He thought that if he didn't do that he might have lost 15-20seconds less.
Not sure if the time concept from him is correct, but it would indicate that he will probably pick his own pace sooner on this stage if he doesn't have the legs.
So if roglic attacks early, it might become an hour looking at GPS times

Last edited:
Very good for the Vuelta. Hard to predict tomorrow but I can't see Evenepoel losing more than a minute to Roglic. The watts simply are not there if he just rides his own pace.
Yes, but the thing is if Remco loses more time on stage 15 it would mean he is weakening - I know he is very young, but he was showing weakness by this stage of last year's Giro before pulling out of the race on stage 18. There is also the psychological pressure plus Roglic, who I think will get even better, will smell blood.

Reactions: Carols
Another plus from today’s excitement is that now I think one or more GC teams will ride harder on the early segments of this stage than they would have if Remco was still in complete control. Hope that might get us a GC battle for the win instead of the break (although today almost became that).
Generally speaking, that shouldn't be a disadvantage for him. He might well suffer less due to his aero posture and size when protected, compared to most rivals. A high pace on the flat or hilly sections also isn't going to hurt him as much as it could hurt other contenders. It's actually been one of the tactics that has proven successful for QS/Evenepoel. They might actually be leveling the playing field this way more than the other way around, in case he is indeed losing form.

Reactions: noob and Sciatic
So one bad day (hopefully) and everybody thinks they will attack him on the steep parts?
The same steep parts where he dropped everyone on Les Praeres
When he's struggling offcourse that's the hardest part, but if he's better again tomorrow I can see him defend just fine against Roglic

Sierra Nevada will be a stressy one as a Belgian, hope he can find his dominant legs again

Reactions: Tonton
Generally speaking, that shouldn't be a disadvantage for him. He might well suffer less due to his aero posture and size when protected, compared to most rivals. A high pace on the flat or hilly sections also isn't going to hurt him as much as it could hurt other contenders. It's actually been one of the tactics that has proven successful for QS/Evenepoel. They might actually be leveling the playing field this way more than the other way around, in case he is indeed losing form.
I didn’t mean to say it’s a disadvantage for him —I meant that it could benefit me (us) as audience to get GC racing from farther out. Would be happy to see Remco turn it around, or Roglic claw back time. I’m enjoying that I don’t have one big personal fav in the GC battle nor anyone I’m rooting against. It’s refreshing :)

TRENDING THREADS