• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 11: Lerma - La Laguna Negra, 163.2k

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's Raul Matias, the best soigneur ever. He's a former Portuguese rider and doesn't see a problem in using EPO..
Nicely taken win by Herrada. Obviously the cops thought the soigneur was celebrating too enthusiastically even though it was the high point of the stage, and Herrada seemed to collapse on his bike just after the line. Even celebrations by team personnel have to be neutralized it seems............

Sure, but if those are your expectation, why even watch I might ask?
Isn't it worse to need biased expectations to watch? Then the non-racing lands harder and more frustrating. With an accurate assessment of the stage, you know what to expect and can then focus on the plausibly most watchable parts.

Of course, one shouldn't be too sure of what to expect, as just like there will be unexpected poor stages, there will also be positive surprises.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Isn't it worse to need biased expectations to watch? Then the non-racing lands harder and more frustrating. With an accurate assessment of the stage, you know what to expect and can then focus on the plausibly most watchable parts.

Of course, one shouldn't be too sure of what to expect, as just like there will be unexpected poor stages, there will also be positive surprises.
I think what you’re saying is reasonable. But honestly, at least in this Vuelta where I’m not rooting for any one rider, being optimistic doesn’t cost me anything. Do I have some feeling of disappointment when the finale is lame like today? A little bit. Am I disappointed when I’m not paying attention and make a weak cup of coffee? A little bit. minor disappointments are a regular part of life, and for me seems better to just accept that. That’s just me though—everyone decides the best mental framework for themSelves.

Congratulations to Jesús Herrada López for winning the stage.

Breakaway action was interesting and Ganna did a massive job for Thomas. As for the main GC contenders. QOS with some unorthodox tactics applied. Still i doubt Rogla was interested today. No stage win up for grabs and too much effort needed for a second or two to be gained.

This is what "exhausted, but still elated" looks like:

375670442_686137146888845_8253863306089786137_n.jpg