• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 13: Formigal - Col du Tourmalet, 134.7k

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ayuso was my initial bet for this stage either with a downhill attack on Spandelles or an attack on the Tourmalet but given that he seems to have back pain, I think it could end up in a reduced sprint between the best GC riders with likely Roglič winning because Remco will probably arrive there more tired having done some work to distance Kuss or Vingegård.

Almeida should also perform well in a stage like this.

Who says JV will attack before Tourmalet? They need people on the road in order to attack on Spandelles, if not, they risk only having GC riders left and no one to set the pace / control in the valley before Tourmalet (or having to sacrifice a rider).

IMO, JV will (if they don't get a strong rider in the break) use the team's strength until Tourmalet and attack uphill and hope their tridente has the best legs of the lot.

Likely they won't, due to van Aert not waiting on the other side, but this is for sure an option. An option they actually tried a couple of times. Successfully. If not that then they could just attack on the last climb hard. Done successfully a couple of times in the past too.

Still. Others need to attack Kuss ATM. So we'll see on what tactics JV will apply today.

Reactions: Volderke
It's one thing to have a plan, it's another thing to pull it off.
There will always be one of the favourites dropping out of the lead group (very likely), or one of the favourites dropping all others (a bit less likely).

I am curious ...
if there will be a kind of masterful tactical sound plan by e.g. Jumbo or UAE;
if Ayuso does a downhill attack on Spandelles;
if Remco drops one of the Jumbo riders with a hard pace on Tourmalet;
if Vingegaard / Mas attack with 5K to go on Tourmalet;
if Kuss is still in the leader's jersey after the stage;
If Soler happens to be stronger than Kuss and on par with all others and becomes the outright favourite for the Vuelta;
if Roglic wins a GC lead group sprint on the Tourmalet.

Let the show begin!
I am curious ...
if this stage is reduced to a 300 meter sprint...

Hope I've jinxed it now.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob