• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 3: Súria - Arinsal, 158.5k

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No. Remco is actually extremely likeable. Great ride and insane sprint by Remco. Organizers so far are amateurs.
The problem is that whatever he himself says, he has an army of fanboys and fangirls who will treat anything other than blind praise as a grave insult, and an army of detractors who will criticise his every move, and both are so entrenched in those views that they see anything not conforming to their side as being 100% on the opposing side, which makes trying to have any discourse about him extremely tiresome.

Watch the overhead. Evenepoel puts his hands back on the handlebars a little after the finish to start braking and overshot the right turn. If he slammed on the brakes he could have crashed then and there due to the downhill part of the finish.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's like he assumed they would just get out of the way
like in most finishes of bike races...?
They probably didn't bother here because:
1. uphill finish
2. it was just a parking. Some meters behind the crash there were barriers. But Remco didn't see those because of all the people.

In any way, it looks like there were just too many people close to the finish who underestimated the speed the winner would finish. Remco could celebrate less and brake sooner, but it doesn't happen a lot that the racing line after the finish is full of people.

like in most finishes of bike races...?
They probably didn't bother here because:
1. uphill finish
2. it was just a parking. Some meters behind the crash there were barriers. But Remco didn't see those because of all the people.

In any way, it looks like there were just too many people close to the finish who underestimated the speed the winner would finish. Remco could celebrate less and brake sooner, but it doesn't happen a lot that the racing line after the finish is full of people.
There was plenty of space to break. Evenepoel continued celebrating after the line and only started breaking when he realised people weren't moving aside.

I will as is my prerogative ...just like you give your views over and over again

You just dont like that you dont agree with mine ...
So, what are my views?
I don't have a particularly strong view of Evenepoel - I just like attacking racing in general.

What does annoy me, is people who go on and on about something, repeating the same opinions again and again. We get it. You don't like Evenepoel. This is very, very clear. Thanks.

Watch the overhead. Evenepoel puts his hands back on the handlebars a little after the finish to start braking and overshot the right turn. If he slammed on the brakes he could have crashed then and there due to the downhill part of the finish.

I mean just look how slow Vingegaard and Ayuso are going in the background.

Yes, they were slower over the line, but even being faster and celebrating there was enough space to slow down without crashing into anyone.

The problem is that whatever he himself says, he has an army of fanboys and fangirls who will treat anything other than blind praise as a grave insult, and an army of detractors who will criticise his every move, and both are so entrenched in those views that they see anything not conforming to their side as being 100% on the opposing side, which makes trying to have any discourse about him extremely tiresome.
The Wahhabis merely ask you to show some respect. That's not too much to ask for in a tolerant society, right?

• Haha
There was plenty of space to break. Evenepoel continued celebrating after the line and only started breaking when he realised people weren't moving aside.
Probably the road immediately going down after the finish didn't help. Hubris. I hope it doesn't bite back.
Others had their hands at the breaks immediately after the finish. Remco held them too long in the air and bumping his chest.

He's a great talent, and many times, a real putz. I think that's middle of the road with him.

Lol he did a postup with his arms spread out, then 3 chest bumps and then a fist bump in the air. Surely during his first post up he should have already noticed the danger and that it was better to be carefull.

Completely his own fault

Yes and because of this we have the Remco vs Roglic thread where you can let your balls hang out.

Probably the road immediately going down after the finish didn't help. Hubris. I hope it doesn't bite back.
Others had their hands at the breaks immediately after the finish. Remco held them too long in the air and bumping his chest.
He still had plenty of time to slow down - it appears he thought there was going to be a lot more space in that direction than there actually was