• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 3: Súria - Arinsal, 158.5k

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's a mistake by both Remco and Vuelta. Remco celebrates for like 2 seconds after the finish line and doesn't brake and the organization should have done better.

The shame is that cyclist are pissed off with everything that has happened so everyone is just on edge right now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He still had plenty of time to slow down - it appears he thought there was going to be a lot more space in that direction than there actually was
Yeah that was 100% stupidity on his part. The man was just a bit wound up and didn't brake check in time, simple as that. He rode intentionally through what he thought was a corridor in the journo's, and got caught up with someone. Bad look, gotta laugh at that one.

To the people finding Remco "extremely unlikeable", I suggest you watch his Youtube series. You probably won't and if you do it probably won't change your whole view about him but I feel like it shows a nice picture of who he really is. Which according to me is definitely not unlikeable (but yes I'm obviously biased as a fan).

(And yes, I understand the caveat that it's his own Youtube series so he can try to portray himself in the best way possible but I think it's still obvious he's a very relaxed and funny guy who gets along with everybody)
(Also, I'm not defending him for the crash. I haven't watched any replays yet but at first glance it did look like he could have handled that better)

Also Lizzie Deignan won stage 1 of the Women's Tour in 2015, crashed into a cameraman at the line and DNS stage 2. That was a sprint finish though so she was likely going faster than Remco was here.

She also took her hands off the bars busy celebrating and then had no brakes or steering when it mattered.

Albeit dumb placing for the finish in Aldeburgh as the road curves and then narrows, didnt understand why it wasnt set back 50m earlier still on the straight section of road, because when you make that turn onto the final last kms, it's dead straight, flat and really really quick to ride even without a tail wind.

But you'd think that would be in the riders race notes, narrow finish,don't forget, celebrate later.

All the photographers were adamant they were behind the line they'd been set to that time, and they were I think, though I was just ahead of them, behind the barriers, so it all happened behind me and couldn't see if someone had moved at the last second.

Just remember Lizzie screaming out and laid on the floor, I think a couple of other riders crashed in sympathy as everyone came to an abrupt halt.

I mean just look how slow Vingegaard and Ayuso are going in the background.

Yes, they were slower over the line, but even being faster and celebrating there was enough space to slow down without crashing into anyone.
They started slowing down even more though after seeing Evenepoel going off and crashing. So by the time they broke harder, they were already slower than when Evenepoel initially started to brake. Maybe he and the team didn’t realize how the finish was set up and how the riders had to turn right.

And yes to your later post that he was potentially going into the barriers.

To the people finding Remco "extremely unlikeable", I suggest you watch his Youtube series. You probably won't and if you do it probably won't change your whole view about him but I feel like it shows a nice picture of who he really is. Which according to me is definitely not unlikeable (but yes I'm obviously biased as a fan).

(And yes, I understand the caveat that it's his own Youtube series so he can try to portray himself in the best way possible but I think it's still obvious he's a very relaxed and funny guy who gets along with everybody)
(Also, I'm not defending him for the crash. I haven't watched any replays yet but at first glance it did look like he could have handled that better)
No.

So, what are my views?
I don't have a particularly strong view of Evenepoel - I just like attacking racing in general.

What does annoy me, is people who go on and on about something, repeating the same opinions again and again. We get it. You don't like Evenepoel. This is very, very clear. Thanks.

can you quote where I have gone on and on about not liking Evenepol ?

I haven't ..I have talked about his form , his ability, commenting on his views, didn't agree with some of his fans views

You repeat alot of the same opinions too ..but I dont try to censor you

Its a forum and I will discuss what I like within the rules ...if you dont like it hit the ignore button

They started slowing down even more though after seeing Evenepoel going off and crashing. So by the time they broke harder, they were already slower than when Evenepoel initially started to brake. Maybe he and the team didn’t realize how the finish was set up and how the riders had to turn right.

And yes to your later post that he was potentially going into the barriers.

Thing is, Evenepoel has eyes too to see where the next obstacle is without having to know the exact finish setup.

Edit: and the point with Vingegaard and Ayuso was merely to illustrate how it is possible to slow down in the space given if one paid attention

Yeah that was 100% stupidity on his part. The man was just a bit wound up and didn't brake check in time, simple as that. He rode intentionally through what he thought was a corridor in the journo's, and got caught up with someone. Bad look, gotta laugh at that one.

They weren't journalists, as Orla repeatedly corrected Adam Blythlyignoringeverythingandnotlistening

the journalists are kept behind the barriers, thats why the barrier is there, they were team personnel in that gap, bottle carriers, gilet holders etc.

I guess everyone is happy now?

Remco lovers: Oh yes, he won!
Remco haters: Oh look, he's dumb!
Old-fashion cyclists who were mad at him yesterday for not riding through rain, storm, hail, and snow like in the good ol' days: Oh yes, love the bloody face, that's more like it!

As an aesthete I'm a bit unhappy he received medical attention before attending the podium ceremony, as it would've been a sensational image.

What a nice race today. Was hoping a bit more from the favourites but cool to see Soler and Kuss entertaining us. Uijtdebroeckx also looked quite strong, he’ll be the leader of Bora if Vlasov doesn’t step up.

Remco finished it off, looked really strong.