• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2024, stage 12: Ourense - Estación de Montaña de Manzaneda, 137.4k

Unipublic's submission for least interesting GT MTF in history. They went out of their way too - this is the single easiest of the 10 or so variants of a Manzaneda MTF, and they're doing it as an unipuerto...

Test

Low-gradient hills all day until that MTF, it will be a pretty strenuous battle to get into that breakaway that really should be winning the stage. The intermediate sprint is actually in the wrong place on the profile: it's about 3 kilometres lower on that climb, Alto de Cerdeira. Surprisingly, I have a profile.
porteleiro-castro-caldelas.png

And this is the MTF. It just isn't hard at all, nowhere near deserving of its cat. 1 status. It sits somewhere in between Mégève in the 2022 Tour and Bocca della Selva in this year's Giro - neither MTF had any GC action, and Chris Froome finished less than half a minute down on the GC riders without having been in the break on one of them. In other words, not exactly the most exciting stage of this Vuelta - it isn't even that good of a breakaway day.
UWMqHct.png

Last edited:
At least the last 7 km are relatively hard and last 2 km enough to do a bit of a different. Will definitely see more than yesterday, thats too pessimistic of a take I think, Netserk. It is a MTF after all with decent gradients towards the end. Could see Ben lose 10-20, but nothing major will happen.. and then I agree with you: WVA for the win!
Yeah Piornal was a lot worse. And Valdazcarray or whatever the name of that Simon Clarke one was.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan