• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a San Juan 2023 (January 22-29)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was indeed a very chaotic finale - not just the last k, but also those before. It wasn't clear where the riders' space was and where spectators and cars belonged. I love to see races outside of Europe, would wish there were more big races in countries like Argentina, but that just doesn't look like the organizers knew what they were doing. I could anticipate the crash a few seconds before, which is never a good sign for the organizers.
There was no crash in the final? If you're talking about the one with around 8k to go, that's clearly rider error on a big road.

Not sure if this is the best stage race for Evenepoel. On such sprinters dominated stage profiles i somehow doubt he will be able to help much in regards to being a part of a sprint train. And there is one stage that will likely decide GC. And here i feel that somebody like López has much more to prove. But that is not the main issue i see. The main issue i see is high risk of crashes. Like 80% of stages have a high risk of crash. And this is in my opinion just not worth it. For somebody like Evenepoel. On the pros side. He will likely get some fans for participating. Bennett will likely try to dominate this race. Nice win for Bennett on stage 1.

Remco is contracted to appear at San Juan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lequack
There was no crash in the final? If you're talking about the one with around 8k to go, that's clearly rider error on a big road.

Yeah, it was riders' error, but there are errors that are almost forced, at least incented. There were parked vehicles on the road without being marked or barricaded, I consider that a risk even on a broad road in the lead up to a bunch sprint.

Looks like inwardly he wants to project superiority, like the inspecting general (Nice clothes. Yours too. Mine is a bit better, aye"), but inside it's awkward . Of course, but Belgian humor doesn't exactly come across as ironic, even if not intended to be.

Remco: "Are you talking bad about me, huh? Who is the world champion here? That's what I thought..."

PS: Don't take this too seriously, I still love Remco.

Sure, but I doubt what he says and what his actual ambitions are coincide.
Why?

He literally cooked his own WC road race chances in 2019 in order to try to bring Phil Gilbert back into the race at Harrowgate.

He's done leadouts for sprinters on several occasions.

He's led out for Alaphilippe.

The one issue would be the 2021 WC road race and in that case I still blame Vanthourenhout for having such tunnel vision for strategy.

Reactions: Extinction
Why?

He literally cooked his own WC road race chances in 2019 in order to try to bring Phil Gilbert back into the race at Harrowgate.

He's done leadouts for sprinters on several occasions.

He's led out for Alaphilippe.

The one issue would be the 2021 WC road race and in that case I still blame Vanthourenhout for having such tunnel vision for strategy.
So you mean to say 2019 is 2023?

Sure he does leadouts in races that offer nothing to gain by, but by now it's perfunctory, and done only within the economy of the race and his career. When the screws tighten, however, I garauntee he won't be doing leadouts.

Don't get me wrong, I hear you.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS