• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a San Juan 2023 (January 22-29)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bring back San Luis.
Seriously, they picked one of the worse provinces of western Argentina to host a race. Mendoza, Salta and Jujuy would also all offer better terrain.
You can do some interesting stuff in Chile and Argentina, the former also has plenty of mountains around Santiago that could be used in a bigger cycling race.
Yeah, it's super weird. These races are often meant as a vehicle for the tourist industry. Now logically I know that there are more beautiful places in Argentina (I've never been, so I guess I ASSUME this), but this race has made me less, not more likely to want to visit that country. Dirty, messy, terrible looking residences...not what I'm looking for in a bike race. I enjoy being transported to beautiful destinations by our sport.

Reactions: saunaking
Yeah, it's super weird. These races are often meant as a vehicle for the tourist industry. Now logically I know that there are more beautiful places in Argentina (I've never been, so I guess I ASSUME this), but this race has made me less, not more likely to want to visit that country. Dirty, messy, terrible looking residences...not what I'm looking for in a bike race. I enjoy being transported to beautiful destinations by our sport.
Yeah, even the Tour of Quinghai Lake usually happens during the time when their rapeseed flowers bloom, to promote tourism and show great pictures.

Salta and Jujuy would offer spectacular rock formations that would look awesome on TV and you could actually promote Tourism.
Jujuy-e-Salta-Argentina-01.jpg

Daniel Diaz couldn't beat Contador in his nightmare year.

Or maybe Contador himself peaked in January in 2013.
Nah, that was 2012, he actually won the gc in 2013 (I had to look it up). Contador outsprinted him and Diniz on one MTF, but Dani Diaz finished over 1min ahead of all the other gc guys on the other mountain stage, one day earlier. On that stage he dropped Contador and all the others, putting over 1min into them.

• Wow
Reactions: Red Rick
What is Bennett doing here? He should have no problem going over the hill in the buch.

Didn't he try something similar in Paris-tours at the end of last season?... Went in the break, attacked, then got reeled in and still came 3rd in the sprint? Might be trying it again.

Although realistically he's probably just trying to build form by pushing it a bit harder than he would in the bunch.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS