• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta al País Vasco 4–9 April 2016

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
jens_attacks said:
Angliru said:
Taxus4a said:
And for this race never forget the adaptation to the special environment of those climbs.

Philippe Gilbert @PhilippeGilbert: I like to inhale cannabis in every single climb of this race.

LOL!! What???!! :D :confused:

Basque fans=the best fans in the world

Could a rider potentially test positive for that?

If they test for that they might as well test for *** alcohol

Red Rick said:
RedheadDane said:
jens_attacks said:
Angliru said:
Taxus4a said:
And for this race never forget the adaptation to the special environment of those climbs.

Philippe Gilbert @PhilippeGilbert: I like to inhale cannabis in every single climb of this race.

LOL!! What???!! :D :confused:

Basque fans=the best fans in the world

Could a rider potentially test positive for that?

If they test for that they might as well test for **** alcohol

Well go and take it up with WADA.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Isn't there even a stage for the "sprinters" in this race? Could we see GC action every day?

Fastest men are puncheurs like Albasini, Gerrans, Gallopin, Ulissi, Martin. Even Purito and Costa if the "peloton" gets reduced to a dozen of riders.

I think stage to Lesaka can be a sprint of a reduced 'peloton'. Or more a 40 guy peloton.

Normally Swift is here, but now i only see Battaglin and especially Felline apart from the names you mentioned.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Never mind about a possible sprint, based on the roadbook.

I forgot the Orio stage is ofcourse with the Aia climb in it. Purito won that stage in 2010, after a solo of 25 km. Great stage to attack from far and get time on GC.

Guys like Henao, Martin and Purito really have a chance in every stage! :)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
And the stage to Lesaka reminds me a little bit of the Oñate stage back in 2012. The stage where a lot of people thought it had an easy finale, but instead of that the riders had to tackle a wall in the last 3 km, and Sammy and Purito rode away from the rest of the field.

Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:
Isn't there even a stage for the "sprinters" in this race? Could we see GC action every day?

Fastest men are puncheurs like Albasini, Gerrans, Gallopin, Ulissi, Martin. Even Purito and Costa if the "peloton" gets reduced to a dozen of riders.

I think stage to Lesaka can be a sprint of a reduced 'peloton'. Or more a 40 guy peloton.

Normally Swift is here, but now i only see Battaglin and especially Felline apart from the names you mentioned.

The bad luck strikes again!

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Arredondo said:
And the stage to Lesaka reminds me a little bit of the Oñate stage back in 2012. The stage where a lot of people thought it had an easy finale, but instead of that the riders had to tackle a wall in the last 3 km, and Sammy and Purito rode away from the rest of the field.

In that stage was raining a lot and was at the end, after Arrate.

Sure, but it was still a hard short climb. But it looked more like a little bump at the profile.

But i agree it had also to do with the way they rode the stage. There were already attacks from Scarponi and Sammy on the penultimate climb, some 30 km's from the finish.

I just went over the stages. Every stage looks brutal apart from the first one. I still have high hopes for Quintana since Im getting more and more confident this is his year to show everyone that he is the best climber. Are those stages a bit too explosive? I don't know, it should be better suited to Contador and especially Henao + Rodriguez on paper. Ion can get a top-5, maybe even top-3 again. I don't believe in Aru. Thibaut seems to have taken the next step, but he is as much of a diesel as Quintana, maybe more. Quintana has done very well on Mende fx. in the past, but thats 2 weeks into a GT - big difference. Likewise, Contador as dominated Mende and Malhao, so stage 2 should be a super showdown between those 2.

This is seriously shaping up to be a super watchable race (always is...) Hoping for rain and carnage on stage 3 and 4, extremely promising stages if the GC-guys come out to play.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Izagirre has a better chance than Quintana IMO with the ITT and the punchy finishes. So he should be a protected rider at the very least.

Ion really isn't an explosive guy. He will obviously be a protected rider, thats for sure, but Quintana still has the better winning chances on a route like this. And I will get very surprised if Quintana will be as bad as last year in the ITT, I'm confident that he will show better up this year and show who is boss. Pollen is a ***, he wasn't really good in Pais Vasco last year. Cant have Izaguirre beating him in hilly/mountainous TT's no more.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Izagirre has a better chance than Quintana IMO with the ITT and the punchy finishes. So he should be a protected rider at the very least.

Ion really isn't an explosive guy. He will obviously be a protected rider, thats for sure, but Quintana still has the better winning chances on a route like this. And I will get very surprised if Quintana will be as bad as last year in the ITT, I'm confident that he will show better up this year and show who is boss. Pollen is a ***, he wasn't really good in Pais Vasco last year. Cant have Izaguirre beating him in hilly/mountainous TT's no more.
Ion may not be super explosive but surely he is stronger than Quintana on those finishes.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:

Ion may not be super explosive but surely he is stronger than Quintana on those finishes.

If he surely is stronger on Baranbio and Arrate, I think you are seriously underrating Quintana or severely overrating Ion Izaguirre. Quintana WON this race 3 years ago, at 23 years. He is a better rider at this point and comes fresh off a victory against your man in Catalunya. I know those aren't Catalunya-climbs, but Quintana can also get explosive.

TRENDING THREADS