• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta al País Vasco 4–9 April 2016

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:
How was Quintana's bike change possibly fair? I know it didn't have any implication on the end results, but the guy got pushed up three quarters of a ramp...

It's fair to get a push after a mechanical or a fall, but a push up a climb like that after a pre-planned change? I know everyone does it but it's really not fair when you think about it

Agreed. Are there any rules about this? There should be. Imagine Quintana wins by like 2 seconds.

The easiest solution would be to disallow pushes in a TT

This has been going on for ages, nobody in the peloton makes a fuss of it. It's an acceptable thing to do among the participants, nobody cares even if you're affected by it because you've done it before yourself and will want to do it in the future. Fair and square. Even more so if you receive a puch on a sloped road.

It's only fair in the long run which for most riders would never come to be because the number of times you'll get a decisive push in a TT is very small. I imagine nobody makes a fuss of it because it has never proved decisive, but if one day it does make the difference, it sure won't be the case that the negatively affected rider will win another race with the same advantage.

Taxus4a said:
Hugo Koblet said:
For reference, here are the descending times of the top 20 on the stage:

Sergio Henao: 11'47
Brambilla +14
Monfort +16
Bilbao +16
Costa +17
Quintana +18
Sanchez +25
Visconti +28
Rodriguez +31
Van den Broeck +34
Vervaeke +35
Contador +36
Spilak +37
Yates +38
Felline +40
Pinot +44
Cataldo +45
Sebastian Henao +58
Lopez +1'04
Rosa +1'05

The descent was 4-5 Km, so that is impposible, you mean the econd part of the race.

In that part there is a hard climb as well and a wide road to fly without risk...
Yes, it should be pretty obvious that it's the second part of the stage.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
For reference, here are the descending times of the top 20 on the stage:

Sergio Henao: 11'47
Brambilla +14
Monfort +16
Bilbao +16
Costa +17
Quintana +18
Sanchez +25
Visconti +28
Rodriguez +31
Van den Broeck +34
Vervaeke +35
Contador +36
Spilak +37
Yates +38
Felline +40
Pinot +44
Cataldo +45
Sebastian Henao +58
Lopez +1'04
Rosa +1'05

Wow it looks like Henao really took some big risks there. He was way faster than anybody else.

JRanton said:
That's three world tour race wins in a row for Tinkoff and they've been on the podium in 7 of the last 8. Only miss was San Remo when Sagan was obstructed by Gaviria's crash for the sprint. Impressive!

CQ points for Tinkoff:

Sagan 1192
Contador 919
Mccarthy 253 (Mostly from TDU)
Kreuziger 127

We should rename the team as Team Sagan-Contador, it is becoming really funny. Note that Sagan and Contador are rank 1 and 2 at the momemnt.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/718820960145698816

lol

This aggravates the (potential, had it been decisive) injustice even further. Imagine a scenario in which Quintana wins not because he was pushed, but because the guy who pushed him was pushed himself.

There need to be rules forbidding such behaviour

SeriousSam said:
DNP-Old said:

lol

This aggravates the (potential, had it been decisive) injustice even further. Imagine a scenario in which Quintana wins not because he was pushed, but because the guy who pushed him was pushed himself.

Lol, it's funny :D But I don't know if it actually helps if someone pushes you when you are running.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
burning said:
JRanton said:
That's three world tour race wins in a row for Tinkoff and they've been on the podium in 7 of the last 8. Only miss was San Remo when Sagan was obstructed by Gaviria's crash for the sprint. Impressive!

CQ points for Tinkoff:

Sagan 1192
Contador 919
Kreuziger 127

We should rename the team as Team Sagan-Contador, it is becoming really funny. Note that Sagan and Contador are rank 1 and 2 at the momemnt.

You got the two biggest stars of cycling in your team, obviously it's everything for them in all the races.

But if we look beyond results, I agree that the team performance overall are very disappointing most of the time.

burning said:
HelloDolly said:
Rollthedice said:
HelloDolly said:
Contador has really put alot of effort into improving his TT it seems in the last few years...looking good for the Tour

I got the feeling Contador rode the whole race in a very measured way ...as did Quintna ...both waiting somewhat for the TT

I said earlier in the year Contador can win the Tour if he keeps his major efforts for the last week...i still think he can do it

In 2009 he beat freaking Fab Canc in his primetime to win a long TDF TT, what do you mean he improved his TT?

Since he came from eating that streak...that is what I mean ...

Even though he's in **** form, he can perform really well on hilly TT's, like 2nd time trial in 2013 Tour

No one said he can't go well or didn't go well in 2013...My point is he has IMPROVED even more...a simple concept for you to take on board one would think...

What is the point ...Contador fans know everything and argue over nothing ...pointless engaging

HelloDolly said:
burning said:
HelloDolly said:
Rollthedice said:
HelloDolly said:
Contador has really put alot of effort into improving his TT it seems in the last few years...looking good for the Tour

I got the feeling Contador rode the whole race in a very measured way ...as did Quintna ...both waiting somewhat for the TT

I said earlier in the year Contador can win the Tour if he keeps his major efforts for the last week...i still think he can do it

In 2009 he beat freaking Fab Canc in his primetime to win a long TDF TT, what do you mean he improved his TT?

Since he came from eating that streak...that is what I mean ...

Even though he's in **** form, he can perform really well on hilly TT's, like 2nd time trial in 2013 Tour

No one said he can't go well or didn't go well in 2013...My point is he has IMPROVED even more...a simple concept for you to take on board one would think...

What is the point ...Contador fans know everything and argue over nothing ...pointless engaging

Thing is that it's a controversial opinion for two reasons: 1) I think most people would say his TTing has been declining in recent years or at least becoming less consistent; 2) This isn't really a typical TT to use as a reference point for his general TTing ability. He did at least one fairly poor TT earlier this year.

Re:

rune1107 said:
Danish commentators are saying that Contador is a bad descender. That he has been talked up to be magnificent, but that he has had some big crashes downhill, and that today showed that he isn't that good. Stupid comment!
In fact the statement is just as over dramatic as the claims he intends to disprove with it. So basically let's just have a tiny smile about it, pal! :p :D

Maybe he's just still fishy about 2007 like me. So no need to take him too serious about this one. :eek: ;)

burning said:
JRanton said:

CQ points for Tinkoff:

Sagan 1192
Contador 919
Kreuziger 127

Everyone in the team are dedicated to the 2 riders so get no chance to win points
Secondly these two stars are paid at least 10 times what the other riders are paid

Maybe if they had a lesser salary the team could afford more riders who could win but even so I doubt they would get a chance

If you want to complain about a riders dedication then fair enough but to be so dismissive about their results when not given chances is very unedifying

Usual arrogance and measly mouthed drivel...Troffimov, Kiserolski, Bennatti, Tossato, Majka , Valgren have all ridden very well as doms

SeriousSam said:
DNP-Old said:

lol

I think we are in danger of exaggerating this. He was pushed by a not very athletic guy for about 8 paces. The time gained will be a lot less than that lost by braking, climbing off one bike and onto another, and then getting back up to pace.

HelloDolly said:
burning said:
JRanton said:

CQ points for Tinkoff:

Sagan 1192
Contador 919
Kreuziger 127

Everyone in the team are dedicated to the 2 riders so get no chance to win points
Secondly these two stars are paid at least 10 times what the other riders are paid

Maybe if they had a lesser salary the team could afford more riders who could win but even so I doubt they would get a chance

If you want to complain about a riders dedication then fair enough but to be so dismissive about their results when not given chances is very unedifying

Usual arrogance and measly mouthed drivel...Troffimov, Kiserolski, Bennatti, Tossato, Majka , Valgren have all ridden very well as doms

Yes, to be fair, Gatto, Bennati, McCarthy, Bodnar, Baška have all won stages or races this year.

The team is lacking support for the top riders, so they could win even more. This is where Sky is so much above everyone. Even though Tinkoff is now leading UCI World Tour by a big advantage (and it is bound to get even bigger tomorrow) :cool:

SeriousSam said:
DNP-Old said:

lol

Really the only thing it helps is Unzue's chances of eating a Nike