• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Asturias: 27th/28thApril - 2nd May 2010

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
looks like a good race for Mosquera and the Chicken although it would be nice to see someone like Intxausti take the GC.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, looks like a great race!
Definitely looking forward to this one.
Is the startlist available yet? Because I think would be a nice one for Joaquin Rodriguez if he's racing, or maybe Anton, they're both in a killer form!

I hope to see good things from Duarte also. Mosquera is the favourite to win, ahead of Loulé's Santi Pérez.

After Mancebo's win last year, the Vicioso/LA-MSS debacle in 2008, and with the likes of Piepoli, Mayo, Beloki and Sevilla in the recent winners list as well, this could be the dodgiest race on the calendar. Besides the Volta a Portugal, of course :(

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
metaCYCLE said:
looks like a good race for Mosquera and the Chicken although it would be nice to see someone like Intxausti take the GC.

The Chicken is at home sick with mononucleosis althought he was seen riding along the lake with a black kit and his usual yellow Colnago.

icefire said:
Stage 4 is the same every year :(
Have I got the right stage?
I remember watching Euskatel desperately trying to get Samu up to the breakaways,(Mancebo) but they couldn't and he struggled on the climb.
A bit like Menchov chasing Heras in the 2005 Vuelta?

Anyhow, I've managed to find RTPA on the sat, so I'm sorted, just so long as the promised live coverage appears. It's been touch and go.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Have I got the right stage?
I remember watching Euskatel desperately trying to get Samu up to the breakaways,(Mancebo) but they couldn't and he struggled on the climb.
A bit like Menchov chasing Heras in the 2005 Vuelta?

Anyhow, I've managed to find RTPA on the sat, so I'm sorted, just so long as the promised live coverage appears. It's been touch and go.

Yes, you got it right. But it's the same parcourse as every year. It's become a classic ;)

By the way, tomorrow is the Climb to Alto del Naranco. A classic used as a prelude for the stage race much like the Clasica Miguel Indurain is to Vuelta al Pais Vasco. That's why TV coverage starts on Tuesday while the stage race starts on Wednesday.

icefire said:
Yes, you got it right. But it's the same parcourse as every year. It's become a classic ;)

By the way, tomorrow is the Climb to Alto del Naranco. A classic used as a prelude for the stage race much like the Clasica Miguel Indurain is to Vuelta al Pais Vasco. That's why TV coverage starts on Tuesday while the stage race starts on Wednesday.

Hah! That expains it. I read the write up and it didn't fit the profile. So it is a Tuesday tune in.:)

Santiago Perez wins Subida al Naranco, timing his sprint perfectly. He caught Andres Antuña with about 50 meter to go on the steep finish at Alto del Naranco. Seeing guys like Vinokourov and Perez win, this surely feels like 2004 again. Strange.

Top 10

1. PEREZ FERNANDEZ Santiago CCL 3h47'48"
2. ANTUÑA CORO Andres Avelino VMC 02"
3. LAVERDE JIMENEZ Luis Felipe CEP 07"
4. CARDOSO Andre Fernando S. Martins PRT 23"
5. MUTO Pasquale MIE 31"
6. NIEMIEC Przemyslaw MIE 46"
7. GARCIA FERNANDEZ Marcos XAC 51"
8. OSPINA NAVARRO Dalivier CEP 51"
9. BALIANI Fortunato MIE 51"
10.HERRADA LOPEZ Jose CJR 01'11"

Yeah, you've gotta admire Antuña for trying - dropped from the group, then attacking ferociously when the rest of them just watched each other. He almost pulled it off, but Santi too strong (and smart) in the end.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Both Santi Pérez and Antuña are from Asturias, so commentators (including Sam Sánchez and Carlos Barredo) were happy anyway. They just though Santi was the stronger of the two.

metaCYCLE said:

I thought I read somewhere that Rassmussen (if that's the Chicken you're referring to) was/is suffering from mono. If that's the case I doubt we'll see much from him here.

I'd love to see Mosquera get the win here. He's been showing good form and is due to get a decent win.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Guess no one saw this one. Looks like Euskatel's Urtasun took the sprint.

Very happy! Euskaltel fans will take any win they can get. Its good to see Riders other than Samu performing well for the proud land of Euskadi!

TRENDING THREADS