• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Ciclista a Asturias

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
cartel-vuelta.jpg

Past winners:
2010 Constantino Zaballa (Spa)
2009 Francisco Mancebo (Spa)
2008 Angel Vicioso (Spa)
2007 Koldo Gil (Spa)
2006 Oscar Sevilla (Spa)
2005 Adolfo García Quesada (Spa)
2004 Iban Mayo (Spa)
2003 Fabian Jeker (Swi)
2002 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita)
2001 Juan Carlos Dominguez (Spa)
2000 Joseba Beloki (Spa)

You just got to love that list man! clinic here we come _O_ :D

Final gc last year:
1. Constantino Zaballa (Esp) Loule - Louletano 19:52:51
2. Fabio Duarte (Col) Cafe De Colombia - Colombia Es Pasion 0:00:58
3. Beñat Intxausti (Esp) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:01:17
4. Ezequiel Mosquera (Esp) Xacobeo Galicia 0:01:47
5. Santiago Pérez (Esp) Loule - Louletano 0:01:48
6. José Herrada (Esp) Caja Rural 0:02:06
7. Alex Cano Ardila (Col) Cafe De Colombia - Colombia Es Pasion 0:02:28
8. David Blanco (Esp) Palmeiras Resort - Tavira 0:02:57
9. Angel Vicioso (Esp) Andalucia - Cajasur 0:03:13
10. Gregory Brenes (CRc) Burgos 2016 - Castilla Y Leon 0:03:15

startlist:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=38280

stages:
28/04 | Etappe 1 | Oviedo - Gijon (162,2 km)
29/04 | Etappe 2a | Gijon - Aviles (82,9 km)
29/04 | Etappe 2b | Piedras Blancas (tijdrit) (14 km)
30/04 | Etappe 3 | Luarca - Santuario del Acebo (b) (195 km)
01/05 | Etappe 4 | Peñaullan - Oviedo (181 km)
02/05 | Etappe 5 | Oviedo - Alto del Naranco (b) (175,8 km)

Website with profiles:
http://www.lavueltaasturias.com/

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
this is one of the only few really hard stageraces left in europe. last year colombia es passion gave a show in the queenstage when cano and duarte murdered all. this year I expect a lot from EPM, they should be able to win this race I think.

I thought Duarte would ride this, but I suppose it's too close to the beginning of the Giro or something.

Anyway, aside from the Colombians (who do you think is most likely to go for it, Ryo? Suárez?), other names to keep in mind are José Herrada (Caja Rural), Santewww Pérez (Barbot), Zaballa (Miche)... Maybe one of the Movistar guys? Amador is the one who's been looking the strongest lately but this might be too hard for him. David Blanco? Cobo to show up out of nowhere? To tell the truth, if the EPM guys are at the same level we've seen lately I don't see how they could not win this. It's a pity a race with this parcours has this crap field.

This is a really good race. Watch out for the Portuguese teams, they always enjoy their moment in the sun here. Obviously Santí Pérez is the biggest threat - he always likes to hit this race in form and it's his home race. The final stage ends on Monte Naranco, now that the Subida al Naranco, the traditional warmup for this race, is sadly no more. But Santí won there last year and will be hungry.

I have high hopes for Hernâni Broco, who vaulted back to prominence in last year's Volta after a couple of years in the dark; he had some good performances as a youngster, and has been on the fringes of the top 10 in the Volta, then Liberty Seguros left him at home two years running. Apparently he was something of an outsider there. Anyway, he sprung back to prominence last year after good climbing performances, allied with woeful time trialling. He's not a good time triallist, but that was much worse than expected. A shorter TT like here should suit him somewhat better.

Another name that nobody has mentioned yet but will be interesting to see how he goes - João Cabreira. He's a guy that needs to be in the Clinic, and he's slipperier than Danilo di Luca and Alejandro Valverde put together in terms of the amount he's got away with, but the guy can sure ride. He's pretty good over short ITTs, very good in the mountains, he was 12th in Asturias in 2008 despite being a support guy (he wasn't in that farcical break when 4 LA-MSS riders and Garzelli put over a minute on the field), and has won some pretty big mountain stages.

He's just come back from a ban that should have run for another 9 months and was meted out about 2 years too late and for multiple offences.

I think that the EPM-UNE guys have to be feared pretty majorly though. Duarte and Cano made mincemeat of the field to Acebo last year, and I'd say that Báez, Suárez and Colorado are a fearsome lineup.

Nice to see Pacheco in the Spanish selection. Disappointed he couldn't find a pro team (he's been riding for Valencia Terra i Mar iirc), he has pedigree.

I think that the Alto del Acebo is too tough for Amador, but he could be up at the front for a couple of days the same way Intxausti was last year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
on paper colorado is on a class of his own in the mountains here however he's definetely not in shape so I have my doubts but baez and suarez can for sure tear up this gc with the rest of the team as their helpers

broco hasn't done too much yet this year right?? and what about david blanco? he doesn't seem too good this year either, same with bernabeu

and why no tavira this year?? would've liked to see cardoso

Ryo Hazuki said:
on paper colorado is on a class of his own in the mountains here however he's definetely not in shape so I have my doubts but baez and suarez can for sure tear up this gc with the rest of the team as their helpers

broco hasn't done too much yet this year right?? and what about david blanco? he doesn't seem too good this year either, same with bernabeu

and why no tavira this year?? would've liked to see cardoso

No, Broco hasn't done much yet this year. But then LA-Antarte haven't been to the .1 races that Barbot have recently, no Castilla y León, Llodio or Rioja for them. The Portuguese races that suit him haven't really happened yet. Blanco I think is on the Giro startlist, so I'd expect to see something from him if he's coming into some form, in the ITT if nowhere else.

Bernabéu is just old and should probably have got a life ban ages ago. Andalucía just haven't done much this year at all. Then again, Bernabéu's been in Portugal for 3 years with Barbot. For 2 of those years, he did very little of note until the Trofeu Joaquim Agostinho in July. Last year he was decent early in the season, but then it may not be so surprising if he doesn't do anything until the Vuelta build up.

I am gutted about no Tavira. Like you I wanted to see what Cardoso can do with the shackles off. All the other Portuguese teams are there. On the other hand, I'm made up about LA-Antarte doing some bigger races, while Tavira usually do this one.

TRENDING THREADS