• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta speculation

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to the routebook Garbi por Segart has made it in, that's great news. It looked on the earlier profile that they'd backed out of it in and gone with the climb from Estivella instead.

I'm confidently predicting that this (stage 6) will be the best of the race. A brutally tough murito 40km from the finish, followed by gentle downhill all the way to the coast.

Re:

DFA123 said:
According to the routebook Garbi por Segart has made it in, that's great news. It looked on the earlier profile that they'd backed out of it in and gone with the climb from Estivella instead.

I'm confidently predicting that this (stage 6) will be the best of the race. A brutally tough murito 40km from the finish, followed by gentle downhill all the way to the coast.
It could be an interesting, reduced bunch sprint, but i guess it'll go for a breakaway. Wonder, if any sprinter will try to hang on and/or get back at the descent and these flat 25-30km. If someone's looking for a GC action then... I think it's too early in the race and i don't think anything outside of extremities, like Zoncolan, Angrilu or Fauniera would work with this type of finish. Maybe someone will try a push on these slopes, but i don't think it'll stick to the end, especially as the run-in is quite straight (interrupted only by roundabouts).

Laplaz said:
http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/cyclisme/la-vuelta/2017/espace-partenaires/VE17_Roadbook_website.pdf

Official Roadbook.
Ouch... it barely opened, that big it is. Big thanks. Now i have the finishes for the future. It seems the sprint on stage 2 to Gruissan can be quite tricky. The finish in Andorra is on a bridge... that's quite interesting.

Sestriere said:
liamito said:
A strong nine-rider line-up has been selected with an eye on the future, as well as to support Team Sunweb’s exploration of GC possibilities. The Vuelta a España will have five Grand Tour debutants in Team Sunweb’s line-up; including Søren Kragh Andersen, Chris Hamilton, Lennard Hofstede, Lennard Kämna and Sam Oomen. Next to their contributions to the team’s goal, the focus will be on the long-term development of these talented riders. The extremely young team will be complemented by experienced road captain Johannes Fröhlinger as well as climber Warren Barguil, who won two stages in the 2013 Vuelta and more recently the KOM jersey at this year’s Tour de France. A key member of the team’s successful Giro d’Italia squad, Chad Haga completes the team alongside Wilco Kelderman.

I didn't expect Barguil to be there after leaving the team and also riding a TdF of crits.

So the Vuelta 2017 will stand at the start of the Grand Tour campaign of Lennard Kämna which by the end of his career will consist of at least 5 wins while he will be regarded as the second coming of Indurain. :cool:

P.S. I forgot the 'obviously'.
Knowing Vuelta's shenanigans it's possible, but i'm still sticking with my Damiano Caruso option.

Re: Re:

railxmig said:
DFA123 said:

It could be an interesting, reduced bunch sprint, but i guess it'll go for a breakaway. Wonder, if any sprinter will try to hang on and/or get back at the descent and these flat 25-30km. If someone's looking for a GC action then... I think it's too early in the race and i don't think anything outside of extremities, like Zoncolan, Angrilu or Fauniera would work with this type of finish. Maybe someone will try a push on these slopes, but i don't think it'll stick to the end, especially as the run-in is quite straight (interrupted only by roundabouts).
I think it's a significantly hard climb that it will force gaps between GC contenders - and then it is straight into a long descent. Wind direction could be key - as the wind between Estivella and Sagunt is generally either a strong tailwind or a strong headwind. If it is a tailwind the riders will be doing over 60km/h pretty much all the way from the top of the climb until the finish. I'm sure Froome will go for it if he has the form, and probably Nibali as well.

The climb used to be one of my local ones when I lived in Valencia city and it is seriously tough (I'm now living in Cocentaina and have Xorret de Catí as a local climb, and Garbí from Segart is certainly tougher than that). Several long stretches (200-300m) above 20%, punctuated by very short flatter sections - and they keep coming for over 2km. It's the kind of climb that is automatically selective - gaps will just happen on it because some riders are going to blow up - especially because it may well be really hot.

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
From the roadbook
ERMITA DE STA. LUCÍA
Km 175,7. Desnivel 330 m.
Ascenso 3,4 km. Porcentaje 4,2%

PUERTO DEL GARBÍ
Km 168. Desnivel 480 m. Ascenso
9,3 km. Porcentaje 5,1%

Who has a eurozone spanish calcuator ?

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Teams keep coming in, most notably Sky: Froome, Knees, D.Lopez, Moscon, Nieve, Poels, Puccio, Rosa, Stannard
i wonder who/what is plan B if Froome fails for whatever reason? Nieve is leaving, so I guess they would give GC lead to Poels with the rest free to stage hunt?

All in for Froome, if he crashes/gets sick it will be stage hunting I'd imagine. Though it does make sense to keep Poels as high on GC as possible for other options.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Orica won't win the TTT with their squad they have selected, not even close.

Sky could be in contention along with QS and BMC, no one has bought an exceptionally strong TTT squad to be honest so it'll be up guys like Jungels, Dennis, Froome to make the big differences.

TRENDING THREADS