• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14: Écija - Sierra de la Pandera (175 km)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
Gigs_98 said:
One word: meh
Froome has the actual control. Nibali and contador attacked from far to gain 100m ( unless time bonus).
They have to attack every day though if Froome is going to crack at some point. He didn't look great today - and he may well look worse tomorrow and the day after, before really going pop at one stage.

I dont think Nibali was that strong either, but he recognises the need to make the race hard every day in from this point if he has a chance of winning. Perhaps learning his lesson from the Giro.
I never felt the attack of Nibali and Contador was dangerous. You could see Sky was just pulling the watts behind to keep them in check and with the flatter finale you know Froome would do a sprint just before that to close the gap.
Never in real trouble.

Unless they manage to weaken Sky somehow this is never going to work. Wrong tactic.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
Considering the fact that you guys hyped him after he gained 20s because he wasn`t chased I might as well be dsappointed that he isn`t delivering against the top guys when it matters.
So you admit you're disappointed because your expectations were too high. Fair enough.
It feels like you expected a bit more as well. So did i, his performance today just seemed a bit meh.

DFA123 said:
He's protecting his GC position, not gambling and riding for the win.
OK, I admit it, you're right, you've always been right, the "all or nothing" attitude has always been a lie, whenever he had the chance, throughout his career, he's raced for a podium. Are you happy now? Can you let it go now? I'm tired of reading the same nonsense every race.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
Considering the fact that you guys hyped him after he gained 20s because he wasn`t chased I might as well be dsappointed that he isn`t delivering against the top guys when it matters.
So you admit you're disappointed because your expectations were too high. Fair enough.
It feels like you expected a bit more as well. So did i, his performance today just seemed a bit meh.

Agree, I never thought I see Berto wheelsucking his way to the line.

ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
Entertaining stage. Majka once again living up to his reputation as an elite climber and a fighter.

Disappointing to see Contador just wheelsucking and not offering Nibali a hand - perhaps suggests he's got his eyes on a podium positions and sees Nibali as the bigger threat than Froome.
Or perhaps he's riding at his limit

Yeah, at his limit :rolleyes: He personally responded to every single try of escape from the main guys until Lopez took off. I can count at least 5-6 times. Man on the limit doesn't do that!

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
No, I hoped for more and I feared worse, but this is exactly what I expected. He is not among the 3-4 best climbers in the race. That has been obvious since the start.

movingtarget said:
Orbit501 said:
BMC reverting to type for GC again I see.

I wonder if Dennis will have anything for the ITT? Assuming he's still in the race, as I haven't seen sight nor sound of him since the TTT.

He is waiting for the TT I suppose, why would he waste energy on stages he can't win.

I don't expect him to win stages like today, but I don't even see him work for anyone here, or go for breakaways. He tried for the break on one stage, but nothing before or since so far as I can gather. That's poor.

Blanco said:
ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
Entertaining stage. Majka once again living up to his reputation as an elite climber and a fighter.

Disappointing to see Contador just wheelsucking and not offering Nibali a hand - perhaps suggests he's got his eyes on a podium positions and sees Nibali as the bigger threat than Froome.

Yeah, at his limit :rolleyes: He personally responded to every single try of escape from the main guys until Lopez took off. I can count at least 5-6 times. Man on the limit doesn't do that!

This. I just do not understand what he was doing today, if he desires still to win the Vuelta.

Honestly this meltdown from the Nibali fans is more entertaining that the stage itself... Nibali needs Contador more than Contador needs Nibali. You need to remember that.

Nibali's little outburst shows a man under a lot of pressure to deliver and if he blows up the alliance then he'll have nobody to work with and Froome will have a strong team..

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:

Isn't that why he is retiring ?

Re:

Hayabusa said:
Honestly this meltdown from the Nibali fans is more entertaining that the stage itself... Nibali needs Contador more than Contador needs Nibali. You need to remember that.

Nibali's little outburst shows a man under a lot of pressure to deliver and if he blows up the alliance then he'll have nobody to work with and Froome will have a strong team..

These are not Nibs fans only. These are people that wants to see Sky losing. That group is way larger.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Berto was at his limit, he would've worked it was in his own interest also. I don't think it's gonna be bad blood between them and I hope his legs don't desert him completely, he is the only valuable ally for Nibs to try and break Froome.

This. The man was cooked, he got dropped in the final for 6 seconds. Yet people keep yapping against him. As if he wouldn't have pushed on with Nibali if he could!

Nibali is stronger but he needs Alberto. They are the only 2 in the race with the B*lls to put it all on the line. Hopefully Alberto has enough left to give it another go tomorrow.

Ok enough Contador bashing from my side...Following Froome seems to be the safest way if you want to finish the Vuelta on the podium. Kelderman and Zakarin didn`t attack a single time so far and are 3rd and 4th in the GC. They stay behind the Sky train and wait for Froomes move.

jaylew said:
portugal11 said:
I fear that contador is riding for a podium place... why should be respond to kelderman's attack?
Just trying to piggyback his way to some seconds. He obviously didn't have the legs to go himself.
This, and trying to piggyback his way to a potential stage win as well. But we see the usual suspects grasping this opportunity to discredit him yet again.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
Gigs_98 said:
One word: meh
Froome has the actual control. Nibali and contador attacked from far to gain 100m ( unless time bonus).
They have to attack every day though if Froome is going to crack at some point. He didn't look great today - and he may well look worse tomorrow and the day after, before really going pop at one stage.

I dont think Nibali was that strong either, but he recognises the need to make the race hard every day in from this point if he has a chance of winning. Perhaps learning his lesson from the Giro.
I never felt the attack of Nibali and Contador was dangerous. You could see Sky was just pulling the watts behind to keep them in check and with the flatter finale you know Froome would do a sprint just before that to close the gap.
Never in real trouble.

Unless they manage to weaken Sky somehow this is never going to work. Wrong tactic.

I agree. I've noticed over the years that when he's dropped and the gap keeps small, it's a sign of controlling the situation

Re:

arvc40 said:
Great ride from Majka. Froome in complete control of Nibali and Contador despite some injuries. Nibali riding a good race and should continue chipping away. Contador has nothing more than the strength required to follow Nibali, he was in the red.

Froome in complete control wouldn't lose bonus seconds to Nibali. Nibali will strike again tomorrow...

Re:

skippo12 said:
Ok enough Contador bashing from my side...Following Froome seems to be the safest way if you want to finish the Vuelta on the podium. Kelderman and Zakarin didn`t attack a single time so far and are 3rd and 4th in the GC. They stay behind the Sky train and wait for Froomes move.
I tend to agree but both Kelderman and Zakarin tried an attack today. Although they were quite irrelevant attacks.

Blanco said:
arvc40 said:
Great ride from Majka. Froome in complete control of Nibali and Contador despite some injuries. Nibali riding a good race and should continue chipping away. Contador has nothing more than the strength required to follow Nibali, he was in the red.

Froome in complete control wouldn't lose bonus seconds to Nibali. Nibali will strike again tomorrow...

And then lose the minimal gains in the TT.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooting so hard for Contador. But at the moment, he is just as good as the seoond tier group. Nibali clearly is a lot stronger than him. Froome is still on his class of his own. At least at the moment.

DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:

Doubt it. The Contador of old would have taken his turn even if he was close to his limit. It was a bit cowardly just to lean on Nibali like that.
He's been dropped in the last meters of the last two MTFs letting go Kelderman and Zaka who are his rivals for 3rd place. But don't let the facts change your views ;)
The fact that Contador is hopeless at sprinting in the last 200m changes nothing. He tried to close down attacks from Nibali, Kelderman and Zakarin this stage, without working with any of them at any stage to try to put Froome under pressure.

He's protecting his GC position, not gambling and riding for the win.
I thought you appreciated people riding for podium?
Contador was obviously on the limit, he was dropped at the end.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

skippo12 said:
Kelderman attacked, but didnt get too far. He tried.

movingtarget said:
Blanco said:
arvc40 said:

And then lose the minimal gains in the TT.
So? Better to gain 20s and then lose 90s than gain nothing and lose 90s.

TRENDING THREADS