• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14 - Sunday 13th Sep - Granada-La Pandera 157km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
There aren't a lot of opportunities left for Mosquera or Gesink to make up time now. Maybe Sanchez could use stage 19, the TT the next day might be on his mind too much, though.
I wonder if anyone's targeted the time trial, if there might be some surprise that day. If Evans goes well he could salvage a podium place still, but we won't know until the day.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Good stage... Would love to know who pushed Valverde up that hill though.. :eek: Nice ride by cunego.. :D I love a bit of rain..

Valverde was cracking and then he got going again. What happened there? I think i'm just upset because valverde's going to win and evans and/or Gesink are going to struggle to win. I think you guys were right that yesterday it really took it out of evans. I was really happy when gesik got away but unfortunately valverde got back.:mad:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mosquera copped an unfair penalty because he got some food from the roadside of the mountain. it's a 43km climb, surely they are allowed to eat a little. Evans got penalised for taking a bottle on board when their was still an hour of climbing to go to the finish. Surely on a mountain top finish they can take as much as they need because the riders have to go back to their car to get it. It costs them time anyway.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sanchez is still in this though his beest chance of winning is taking it all out on the descent. the vuelta only has 1 real mountain stage int he last week. they have a few medium mountain stages but nothing to excite people for the last week. the challengers to valverde are going to have to attack him at every opportunity. None of the top 6 are out of it but they need to isolate valverde and then attack him hard one after the other. It's still very close...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Mosquera copped an unfair penalty because he got some food from the roadside of the mountain. it's a 43km climb, surely they are allowed to eat a little. Evans got penalised for taking a bottle on board when their was still an hour of climbing to go to the finish. Surely on a mountain top finish they can take as much as they need because the riders have to go back to their car to get it. It costs them time anyway.

Eating and drinking and avoiding the bonk >>>> time penalty.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pandera

auscyclefan94 said:
Valverde was cracking and then he got going again. What happened there? I think i'm just upset because valverde's going to win and evans and/or Gesink are going to struggle to win. I think you guys were right that yesterday it really took it out of evans. I was really happy when gesik got away but unfortunately valverde got back.:mad:

IMO the puncture gave Evans a good excuse for not being good enough to win again. Sanchez worked far harder the previous day after being dropped while Evans hung to his wheel until he cracked. Same thing in the front bunch would have happened and a loss of 30 secs instead of 1:10.

The next day both Sanchez and Valverde pace the climb right and it pays off against the less experienced (Mosquira and Gesink) and the tactically inept (Evans) now they are the guys looking good for the win.

cyclingmad said:
IMO the puncture gave Evans a good excuse for not being good enough to win again. Sanchez worked far harder the previous day after being dropped while Evans hung to his wheel until he cracked. Same thing in the front bunch would have happened and a loss of 30 secs instead of 1:10.

The next day both Sanchez and Valverde pace the climb right and it pays off against the less experienced (Mosquira and Gesink) and the tactically inept (Evans) now they are the guys looking good for the win.

You cannot see into the head of another rider (Valverde) to know is he pacing or really cracking, but if main contender (Valverde) is loosing contact, it is normal to add pressure. Problem was not wrong choice of tactics from Evans, Gesink, Basso, problem was that they did not have legs.

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans got penalised for taking a bottle on board when their was still an hour of climbing to go to the finish.

Evans was penalised to use the old "sticky bottle" to be towed up a little and then catapulted; the TV images were quite clear about that. It's a usual trick but in Cadel's case it just lasted for too long and was far too evident.

Mosquera's case was different and crazy: he took a bottle from an spectator... which was dressing Xacobeo's jacket. The referees didn't considered any complains from the team.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
IMO the Vuelta should scrap the Combination classification and go for a Best Yound Rider classification.
I totally agree. That combination thing is total crap. Most fans don't know how it works, don't care about it and as if that wasn't enough, the overall winner always takes it so the guy in white isn't even the real combination leader.

TRENDING THREADS