Vuelta Stage 16: Circuito de Navarra - Logroño (40.2km)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

wwabbit said:


Step 1. Click on name in post
Step 2. Click on "Add foe"
Step 3. Click "Yes"
I registered specifically to be able to put the tele guy on ignore, along with his fellow skyntrain troll he makes this forum a lot less enjoyable to read. You guys are a pretty funny bunch at times and i enjoy reading here, but these 2 really come to stir *** up. Havent seen the guy with the kwiat avatar today so i hope he s banned.
 
DFA123 said:
Very good performance from Contador and the Guardia Civil so far.
Literal LOL.
The Barb said:
Quite an improvement for Froome on his 17th placing (beaten by many amateurs) in the Commonwealth Games 40km flat time trial, 5 minutes from the winner.
Puccini said:
ALL (HISTORY already)

TIME TRIALS ALBERTO CONTADOR in
Vuelta a España:

...

This is regularity and class!!
Contador for Ever!
Those two posts put together made me smile. Froomey was 31st in his first GT TT at 23 yo, El Pistolero 48th at 22 yo. Contador was the much more refined rider at the time (age difference was actually around 6 months). I find 1.75m Contador winning 7 GTs via outclassing his GC rivals mostly against the clock much more surprising than 1.86m Froome notching 4 or 5 in the same manner, but YMMV.

In any case great job by Froome to win it, but I was most impressed with Kelderman and Zakarin coming up with the goods. All in all pretty "standard" TT (even the splits), bar for an ever-so-slightly supbar Dawg and an ever-so-slightly stronger than expected Wilco.
 
Re: Re:

spalco said:
Angliru said:
Did he not say that he was saving energy for the upcoming stage(s) or am I mistaken?
That's what he said. Do you believe it?
No because there is no logical reason to do that. Let's assume he didn't go all out: if had done, he could've gained another 30+ on everyone else - basically putting the race to bed. The race is still (slightly) in play, and although the difference between being within 2 minutes and outside 2 minutes for Nibali is only 3 seconds, it's a symbolically very important three seconds.
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
Tomorrow stage will be very important , if froome give it all that's a risk for him to blow himself , if he save energy he will lose no time and maybe gian on Nibali who don't like not steady climbs
 
Pretty predictable result unfortunately. Oh well, the Vuelta still isn't over, its doable for Nibali to make something happen on the intermediate stages I think, but he need others to join in and need a Formigal day for Froome.
 
No surprises here IMHO. This is what we were expecting to be honest. Maybe deep inside we didn't want Froome to win like this in order to have better race the third week. But this was inevitable.

For the future we need Dumoulin and Kelderman to start climbing like Froome! :D
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
well but i have to remember that Indurain after 5 years of dominance had a very fast decline and in 1996 ather a bad tour in which he was the favourite afther winnig dauphine he was terrible and then dnf la vuelta and retires maybe Froome will do the same who knows
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Its also funny to hear the idiotic commentators and experts to say the reason Sky is so successful is its everyone for Froome, yet in every GT they always have something that basically rides for themselves.
No they don't. They have some guys who get incidental benefits from doing their job for Froome, or stay near the top of the rankings as an alternative GC option (like Thomas getting some days in yelllow at the Tour, Poels currently sitting top 10, Landa nearly getting a podium in Paris) but in each case the primary aim was to have Froome in the leader's jersey on the last day. They've held back the likes of Kiriyenka in long TTs in the past, to have him fresh for front-of-peloton duty the following day. The only exception to this is when they allowed Cav to do his own thing in the sprints in 2012, and that was under exceptional circumstances.

That said, it's not as if it's an unfair advantage that Sky have. Any other team is free to do exactly the same, if they happen to think they have a guy worth doing it for. It just happens that Sky are currently the only team who can say that their leader is worth throwing all their resources behind for the GC victory.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Pretty predictable result unfortunately. Oh well, the Vuelta still isn't over, its doable for Nibali to make something happen on the intermediate stages I think, but he need others to join in and need a Formigal day for Froome.
Is there even an intermediate day left? All I see is 2 big mt stages and 2 hilly stages, nothing like formigal.
Potentially only on Angliru stage you could do something with Cobertoria and Cordal before Angliru
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty predictable result unfortunately. Oh well, the Vuelta still isn't over, its doable for Nibali to make something happen on the intermediate stages I think, but he need others to join in and need a Formigal day for Froome.
Is there even an intermediate day left? All I see is 2 big mt stages and 2 hilly stages, nothing like formigal.
Potentially only on Angliru stage you could do something with Cobertoria and Cordal before Angliru
In the two hilly stages it could happen. But not to this Sky team. And this is the third week and riders will be saving energy for the Angliru.
 
Sep 12, 2016
441
0
0
Re:

The Barb said:
Quite an improvement for Froome on his 17th placing (beaten by many amateurs) in the Commonwealth Games 40km flat time trial, 5 minutes from the winner.
I just tuned in to read up on the stage. This sums up most of what's being said. :lol:
 
Apr 28, 2017
16
0
0
Great TT by Kämna (who turns 21 on Saturday). Sunweb will be one of the top contenders for the WC TTT in the coming years. Dumoulin, Kelderman, Andersen, Matthews, Oomen, Arndt... :eek:
 
Feb 21, 2017
1,019
0
0
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty predictable result unfortunately. Oh well, the Vuelta still isn't over, its doable for Nibali to make something happen on the intermediate stages I think, but he need others to join in and need a Formigal day for Froome.
Is there even an intermediate day left? All I see is 2 big mt stages and 2 hilly stages, nothing like formigal.
Potentially only on Angliru stage you could do something with Cobertoria and Cordal before Angliru
In the two hilly stages it could happen. But not to this Sky team. And this is the third week and riders will be saving energy for the Angliru.
Like the famed climber Moscon. Viviani is lucky he isn't here otherwise he'd be leading the train uphill....
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Groene Patraaf said:
Great TT by Kämna (who turns 21 on Saturday). Sunweb will be one of the top contenders for the WC TTT in the coming years. Dumoulin, Kelderman, Andersen, Matthews, Oomen, Arndt... :eek:
Kämna was always a great TT rider who was light and a great diesel climber, after a really bad year at Stölting he's now having a good first year at Sunweb, next year he could surprise people.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Sunweb develop Kamna the same way they did with Dumoulin and Oomen and since this season Kelderman, I think Kamna will turn out great
Kämna was a monster talent in the U23 ranks, world class TT rider, but only 65kg light despite being 181cm tall, he was always rather light and a great diesel climber who was great on hard mountain stages. Sunweb should be the right team for him.
 
Re: Re:

wouterkaas said:
The Barb said:
Quite an improvement for Froome on his 17th placing (beaten by many amateurs) in the Commonwealth Games 40km flat time trial, 5 minutes from the winner.
I just tuned in to read up on the stage. This sums up most of what's being said. :lol:
That race was in 2006, when Froome was 20 years old and an amateur himself. I'm no fan of Froome and find his 2011 transformation remarkable, to say the least, but his critics don't need to exaggerate to make that point. Froome actually showed some aptitude in time trials from a young age: look at his 14th place finish in the final TT of the 2008 TDF, which was 53 km long. Froome was 23 years old at the time. Not anything that would lead you to expect the performances he has put in post-2011 Vuelta, but also not exactly the result of a donkey.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY