• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 16: Circuito de Navarra - Logroño (40.2km)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty predictable result unfortunately. Oh well, the Vuelta still isn't over, its doable for Nibali to make something happen on the intermediate stages I think, but he need others to join in and need a Formigal day for Froome.
Is there even an intermediate day left? All I see is 2 big mt stages and 2 hilly stages, nothing like formigal.
Potentially only on Angliru stage you could do something with Cobertoria and Cordal before Angliru
In the two hilly stages it could happen. But not to this Sky team. And this is the third week and riders will be saving energy for the Angliru.
Stage 18 is most better suited for a Fuente Dé/Formigal stage than the two original stages, so yes..

Leinster said:
Valv.Piti said:
Its also funny to hear the idiotic commentators and experts to say the reason Sky is so successful is its everyone for Froome, yet in every GT they always have something that basically rides for themselves.
No they don't. They have some guys who get incidental benefits from doing their job for Froome, or stay near the top of the rankings as an alternative GC option (like Thomas getting some days in yelllow at the Tour, Poels currently sitting top 10, Landa nearly getting a podium in Paris) but in each case the primary aim was to have Froome in the leader's jersey on the last day. They've held back the likes of Kiriyenka in long TTs in the past, to have him fresh for front-of-peloton duty the following day. The only exception to this is when they allowed Cav to do his own thing in the sprints in 2012, and that was under exceptional circumstances.

That said, it's not as if it's an unfair advantage that Sky have. Any other team is free to do exactly the same, if they happen to think they have a guy worth doing it for. It just happens that Sky are currently the only team who can say that their leader is worth throwing all their resources behind for the GC victory.
Poels has ridden a pseudo GC this whole Vuelta and has been totally useless up until he got some form around stage 11. He was dropped early pretty much on all days but despite of that, he was fighting with everything he had in order to minimise the damage. Watch the stages and look at the results.
König did exactly the same thing last year, he was just generally better than Poels has been and did absolute zero work throughout.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Froome's best ITT was still the one he rode as an U23 for Kenya. His start tactic was especially never seen before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCe4QVO0PE (14 seconds in)

didn't work as he was 41th.. winner.. Lars Boom :lol: (talk about waste of talent)

Well if you mean his best ITT when it comes to the story around it: Yes! He helped somebody of the Kenyan cycling federation out with his computer and used the opportunity to sign himself up for that race using said commisaire's email address.

Re:

telencefalus said:
well but i have to remember that Indurain after 5 years of dominance had a very fast decline and in 1996 ather a bad tour in which he was the favourite afther winnig dauphine he was terrible and then dnf la vuelta and retires

Indurain did win an Olympic Gold Medal in the TT before hanging up the wheels :)

wouterkaas said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Froome's best ITT was still the one he rode as an U23 for Kenya. His start tactic was especially never seen before

didn't work as he was 41th.. winner.. Lars Boom :lol: (talk about waste of talent)

Well if you mean his best ITT when it comes to the story around it: Yes! He helped somebody of the Kenyan cycling federation out with his computer and used the opportunity to sign himself up for that race using said commisaire's email address.

Yep Dawg has never shied away for believing the rules don't apply to him!

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:

A corrupt organization that didn't want anyone to represent their country ... I think he was correcting the rules rather than breaking them.

Sounds like the start of a movie.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

telencefalus said:
Tomorrow stage will be very important , if froome give it all that's a risk for him to blow himself , if he save energy he will lose no time and maybe gian on Nibali who don't like not steady climbs

If Froome is going to "blow himself" tomorrow during the race, he might finally convert some of his haters.

However, I fear for anyone in the presence of Carlton Kirby should this happen.

Brian Nygaard during today's stage. He strikes me as a good commentator at times, but he says horrible stuff like this more than he should: "Wout Poels could finish 2nd in another jersey, theres not the things he cannot do. Amazing that Sky allows him to do that, Sky and Poels are just so great, blah, blah, blah."

Bro you forgot he was horrible in the first half of the race? You forgot Nibali? Wtf. Talk about heat of the moment commentary.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

Carols said:
wouterkaas said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Grumps gonna grump :rolleyes:

Beech Mtn said:
telencefalus said:
Tomorrow stage will be very important , if froome give it all that's a risk for him to blow himself , if he save energy he will lose no time and maybe gian on Nibali who don't like not steady climbs

If Froome is going to "blow himself" tomorrow during the race, he might finally convert some of his haters.

However, I fear for anyone in the presence of Carlton Kirby should this happen.

Best thing to convert the haters would be changing teams.

deValtos said:
Carols said:

A corrupt organization that didn't want anyone to represent their country ... I think he was correcting the rules rather than breaking them.

No matter the country or issue representing yourself as Someone Else (in authority) to your advantage just isn't kosher.

Then tossing LRP under the bus for getting him a gel in the 'no feed' zone? He said he didn't get it, LPR did! No acceptance for behavior that is against the rules.....

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:

No matter the country or issue representing yourself as Someone Else (in authority) to your advantage just isn't kosher.

Then tossing LRP under the bus for getting him a gel in the 'no feed' zone? He said he didn't get it, LPR did! No acceptance for behavior that is against the rules.....

Why doesn't the issue matter? It's highly relevant, of course you'll sweep it away to portray Froome as a bad guy.

He didn't toss LRP under the bus either since LRP got the gel which was the plan? Something they had to do since their #1 team car broke down and he couldn't pick up any food. Not to mention when a rider like Bardet refuels in this years this TDF illegally the organizers used that exact excuse that the team cars could not adequately serve the rider so it was ok. They didn't let the 2nd team sky car pass and reach Froome until it was in the illegal section.

You really are just looking at all the scenarios of Froome from the worst possible angle because you want to see him in the worst possible way. When you add context he's really not just breaking every rule he can for the hell of it ...

deValtos said:
Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:

Why doesn't the issue matter? It's highly relevant, of course you'll sweep it away to portray Froome as a bad guy.

He didn't toss LRP under the bus either since LRP got the gel which was the plan? Something they had to do since their #1 team car broke down and he couldn't pick up any food. Not to mention when a rider like Bardet refuels in this years this TDF illegally the organizers used that exact excuse that the team cars could not adequately serve the rider so it was ok. They didn't let the 2nd team sky car pass and reach Froome until it was in the illegal section.

You really are just looking at all the scenarios of Froome from the worst possible angle because you want to see him in the worst possible way. When you add context he's really not just breaking every rule he can for the hell of it ...

This response deserves a million likes

deValtos said:
Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:

Yeah I'll stop. I just think he's the biggest arse since Lance. They're 2 peas in a pod and will try to get away with anything they can.

The theory forwarded (not by you) that I dislike him because he beat Berto is of no consequence since Kelderman, Nibali and Zaka also beat Berto and I say kudos to them, Great rides!

So enough said!

Carols said:
Yeah I'll stop. I just think he's the biggest **** since Lance. They're 2 peas in a pod and will try to get away with anything they can.

The theory forwarded (not by you) that I dislike him because he beat Berto is of no consequence since Kelderman, Nibali and Zaka also beat Berto and I say kudos to them, Great rides!

So enough said!

Talking of getting away with anything you can and great rides by Nibali:

Vuelta%202015%20Nibali%20and%20team%20car%20TV%20still.JPG

Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:

Yeah I'll stop. I just think he's the biggest **** since Lance. They're 2 peas in a pod and will try to get away with anything they can.

So enough said!

you may want to reflect on your favorite boys history before judging any other riders willingness to bend the rules

Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:
deValtos said:
Carols said:

So enough said!
Please, spare us the juvenile fandom. I can't say I'm much of a Froome fun, but this is just complete rubbish. Grow up.

Ruby United said:
telencefalus said:
as i said froome even if he moves his shoulders a lot , has just too much raw power he is recovering

You crack me up. Seriously, you write so much rubbish. (Sorry mods, but I can't bear this anymore.)

You spent half the build up to the TT talking about Froome not doing well. Froome doesn't start well and you parade yourself as a prophet having predicted all of this and start talking about Nibali gaining a lot of time.
Then Froome comes back and starts putting in time on Nibali and suddenly you pretend as if you predicted that too and now, seeing that Froome is so strong, you are all over how amazing he is.

We complain, but now that he's here, we'll miss him when his gone :D

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
Ruby United said:
telencefalus said:
as i said froome even if he moves his shoulders a lot , has just too much raw power he is recovering

You crack me up. Seriously, you write so much rubbish. (Sorry mods, but I can't bear this anymore.)

You spent half the build up to the TT talking about Froome not doing well. Froome doesn't start well and you parade yourself as a prophet having predicted all of this and start talking about Nibali gaining a lot of time.
Then Froome comes back and starts putting in time on Nibali and suddenly you pretend as if you predicted that too and now, seeing that Froome is so strong, you are all over how amazing he is.

We complain, but now that he's here, we'll miss him when his gone :D
Hello , predictions in cycling are really difficult ,

TRENDING THREADS