• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta stage 20. Corvera → Alto de El Angliru - 119km

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
b.broadhurst said:
StephenC2020 said:
ontheroad said:
Absolute monstrosity of a climb, will Froome go for the holy trinity now and have a stab at the giro next year. Surely he has to consider it at some point.

I don't think Sky would do anything that risks jeopardizing theit tour dominance

I think Sky continue with Froome attempting Tour/Vuelta double with the Tour as the priority until his body says no more.

I'm sure Froome wants the record of 6 Tours.

I wouldn't be so certain about the Vuelta. Froome clearly really wanted one. Whether he wants to put additional mileage on the clock trying to win a 2nd, 3rd etc isn't nearly as clear. He might, or he might want to focus entirely on his Tour streak.

They asked him last week if he would return and he said it depends on the course but if he is fit, I think he will return.

How could you people even post when watching, I couldn't. I hadn't been sure Alberto would win until he himself was, maybe I was just too nervous, but why wouldn't I be, it was a big effort in Angliru, and there was mighty Poels. It's all scripted out to be a celebration, Enric, Marc, they knew that. I might be unfair to the other riders and to the Vuelta, but for me tonight it's all about a rider that I was once indifferent to before growing on to be - each day I got surer and surer - my number one sporting hero. I wish I had fallen for him much earlier, years went so fast now it reaches this point, it seemed like yesterday when I first cheered for him :(

Oh but this is the race thread.
Pellizotti just doesn't age, nor die.
And congratulatuon for the double to Froome

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Couldn't watch the stage but chapeau Alberto Contador, justice to go out with one final shot with this stage win.

Delighted for Froome, truly deserved this Vuelta after so many near misses, he set out from the start of the season to win the double and he's achieved it, Deserves his place as one of the great GT riders of this generation.

Very diplomatic!

Poursuivant said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
b.broadhurst said:
StephenC2020 said:
ontheroad said:
Absolute monstrosity of a climb, will Froome go for the holy trinity now and have a stab at the giro next year. Surely he has to consider it at some point.

I don't think Sky would do anything that risks jeopardizing theit tour dominance

I think Sky continue with Froome attempting Tour/Vuelta double with the Tour as the priority until his body says no more.

I'm sure Froome wants the record of 6 Tours.

I wouldn't be so certain about the Vuelta. Froome clearly really wanted one. Whether he wants to put additional mileage on the clock trying to win a 2nd, 3rd etc isn't nearly as clear. He might, or he might want to focus entirely on his Tour streak.

They asked him last week if he would return and he said it depends on the course but if he is fit, I think he will return.

I think he'll return at least once more, I'm just not certain that he will be doing Tour-Vuelta doubles with serious intent of winning both every year until he retires. The Vuelta it seemed to me was a big personal target, but it's one he has now reached.

TourOfSardinia said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aru holy ****. What happened there.. I know he dropped early, but so did Lopez, Lopez lost 3 minutes, Aru 15..

He rode the Tour already, what do you think happened? He's tiring, like most normal people do after a hard, long season.
THIS
Where was Aru's long, hard, season? He has raced 2 1/2 races fully this year. Pathetic.

What can stop Froome winning Tour-Vuelta double every year in the near future if he really wants to? Probably someone better than Kelderman being fresh and focused enough for the Vuelta, which usually can only be enabled by earlier season misfortune.

Gigs_98 said:
Eclipse said:
Red Rick said:
portugal11 said:
Red Rick said:
Contador attacked from far out and rode the 4th fastest ascent with a headwind
No... poels and froome were faster...
I'm talking about today

Surely Poels and Froome were faster today, Alberto started the climb with a bigger advantage than he finished?
How can so many people miss the "4th" :D

Fourth is the new First :D

So Contador will wear the White Jersey tomorrow and Trentin can still take green but only if he wins the stage and the intermediate sprint and Froome takes no points. That's possible as you might expect Froome to finish behind the group with his team.

TourOfSardinia said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aru holy ****. What happened there.. I know he dropped early, but so did Lopez, Lopez lost 3 minutes, Aru 15..

He rode the Tour already, what do you think happened? He's tiring, like most normal people do after a hard, long season.
THIS
So Contador and Froome are not normal

Contador: 9th TDF - 4th Vuelta
Froome - 1st / 1st

Re:

StephenC2020 said:
So Contador will wear the White Jersey tomorrow and Trentin can still take green but only if he wins the stage and the intermediate sprint and Froome takes no points. That's possible as you might expect Froome to finish behind the group with his team.

He needs the win in both sprints? 2nd place no good here?

Re:

gunara said:
What can stop Froome winning Tour-Vuelta double every year in the near future if he really wants to? Probably someone better than Kelderman being fresh and focused enough for the Vuelta, which usually can only be enabled by earlier season misfortune.
Kelderman was only the helper of Dumoulin in the Giro...
Wonder with Sunweb will do next year. Dumoulin with the support of Kelderman could be good.

Also today 3 sunweb still with Kelderman at the start of Angliru. And that was without Oomen and Barguil. He had better support than Dumoulin all Giro.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
gunara said:
Kelderman was only the helper of Dumoulin in the Giro...
Wonder with Sunweb will do next year. Dumoulin with the support of Kelderman could be good.

Also today 3 sunweb still with Kelderman at the start of Angliru. And that was without Oomen and Barguil. He had better support than Dumoulin all Giro.
Dumoulin + Kelderman = Ullrich + Riis. Dumoulin TDF win confirmed

Inquitus said:
StephenC2020 said:

He needs the win in both sprints? 2nd place no good here?

Ah, yes. I was wrong. Assuming Froome doesn't score he'll need 27 points, so he can get second in the intermediate sprint but he must win the stage. If he gets third at the sprint he could tie Froome, would he then win by virtue of more stage wins?