WADA Getting Ready to Reinstate Russia

Who is on this "Compliance Committee", the members of it must be known, and that narrows it down to a handful of WADA people who are pushing these corrupt bargains. There is probably some structural pattern within the organization

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/15/sports/wada-beckie-scott-russia-doping.html

As it pertains to cycling, WADA became like a joke when they dropped the Froome case - and the selective pursuit of Russian athletics, only to backtrack on this stuff, of course calls into question the credibility of WADA in other sports.

Maybe Russian operatives have компромат on prominent athletes and/or WADA, so there's gonna be a 'deal' ??? :cool:
Or maybe just a regular tainted deal, without the extortionate part. Tygart says "it stinks", and the resignations and condemnations mean some antidoping representatives are unhappy about that. Or, at least they want to publicly dissociate themselves from the decision
 
Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Who is on this "Compliance Committee", the members of it must be known, and that narrows it down to a handful of WADA people who are pushing these corrupt bargains. There is probably some structural pattern within the organization

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/15/sports/wada-beckie-scott-russia-doping.html

As it pertains to cycling, WADA became like a joke when they dropped the Froome case - and the selective pursuit of Russian athletics, only to backtrack on this stuff, of course calls into question the credibility of WADA in other sports.

Maybe Russian operatives have компромат on prominent athletes and/or WADA, so there's gonna be a 'deal' ??? :cool:
Or maybe just a regular tainted deal, without the extortionate part. Tygart says "it stinks", and the resignations and condemnations mean some antidoping representatives are unhappy about that. Or, at least they want to publicly dissociate themselves from the decision

Tygart says nothing but anti Russian things, all the time. He hasn't even had one constructive thing to say. 'Ban Russia,' 'non-compliant,' 'ruining fair play,' 'corruption.' He's brought nothing to the table.

It seems that nothing the Russians do is right. What exactly are they supposed to do? The athletics federation has been banned for almost three years. What does Tygart want?

All because one guy currently living in California, wasn't happy that he wasn't getting enough money...
 
It's kind of a moot point, yes? After the convoluted expunging of Froome's AAF, WADA can say whatever WADA wants to say. It's all for show -- means jack. That is, whatever they use for justification/rationalization carries the same weight as air.
 
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/who-we-are/governance/compliance-review-committee
Jonathan TAYLOR QC (Chair)
United Kingdom

Henry GOURDJI (Vice Chair)
Canada

Tom DIELEN
Belgium

Barbara LEISHMAN
Switzerland/UK

Beckie SCOTT
Canada

Bente SKOVGAARD KRISTENSEN
Denmark
(EDIT - see Beckie Scott has resigned https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/trackandfield/beckie-scott-wada-russian-doping-agency-1.4825469
The move comes after that six-person committee recommended on Friday that the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) be reinstated.
)


The Seychelles huh? Chosen for it's high profile sporting prowess? :rolleyes:

The Swedish anti-Doping Agency has put it's name on the USADA proposal to keep RUSADA suspended
https://www.usada.org/anti-doping-leaders-urge-wada-to-postpone-russian-reinstatement/
We cannot understand or accept that the simple fact that the two remaining conditions – regarding Russian acceptance of the McLaren Report and access for WADA to the Moscow laboratory – remain unfulfilled, and yet WADA’s leading compliance body is recommending the reinstatement of a country that perpetrated the worst doping system ever seen in international sport.
...This statement was made by anti-doping leaders from around the world, including: Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
in Swedish at
https://www.dn.se/sport/sverige-emot-att-erkanna-rysslands-antidopningsbyra/
 
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1070175/rusada-reinstated-by-wada-executive-committee
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Executive Committee has defied the outcry from athletes and other organisations by comfortably voting 9-2 in favour of the reinstatement of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) at a meeting in the Seychelles today.

The decision to rubber-stamp the recommendation Compliance Review Committee (CRC) was widely expected, with one member confirming yesterday that all five representatives of the Sports Movement would vote to declare RUSADA compliant.

There was one abstention, insidethegames understands.

It brings an end to RUSADA's three-year suspension, first initiated in November 2015 following allegations on state-sponsored doping in Russian athletics.

WADA President Sir Craig Reedie warned today that RUSADA could be declared non-compliant again if they do not follow a "clear timeline" on access to the samples and data at the Moscow Laboratory.

"Today, the great majority of WADA’s Executive Committee decided to reinstate RUSADA as compliant with the Code subject to strict conditions, upon recommendation by the Agency’s independent CRC and in accordance with an agreed process," Sir Craig said.

WADA vice-president Linda Helleland had already declared her intention to vote against RUSADA's reinstatement after claiming the compromise reached undermines the credibility of the organisation.
 
https://twitter.com/wada_ama/status/1042758905938501634
WADA President, Sir Craig Reedie: “Today, the great majority of WADA’s ExCo decided to reinstate RUSADA as compliant with the Code subject to strict conditions, upon recommendation by the Agency’s independent CRC and in accordance with an agreed process. (1/2)
https://twitter.com/wada_ama/status/1042759213364256768
“This decision provides a clear timeline by which WADA must be given access to the former Moscow laboratory data and samples with a clear commitment by the ExCo that should this timeline not be met, it would support the CRC’s recommendation to reinstate non-compliance.” (2/2)
 
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-reinstates-russian-anti-doping-agency-to-outcry/
RUSADA must now provide WADA with authenticated LIMS data and the underlying analytical data from the Moscow laboratory by December 31, 2018, and all re-analysis of the samples must be completed by June 30, 2019.

Additionally, RUSADA must undergo an audit within the next four months to test their compliance with the WADA code. WADA will continue to have independent experts at RUSADA's headquarters and on RUSADA's Supervisory Board for reports and audits.
So who wants to bet on the Ruskies meeting WADA's demands? A tragic accident maybe at the lab, like a fire or a flooding or a power failure, or maybe it's all on a laptop that gets stolen in Greece.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-reinstates-russian-anti-doping-agency-to-outcry/
RUSADA must now provide WADA with authenticated LIMS data and the underlying analytical data from the Moscow laboratory by December 31, 2018, and all re-analysis of the samples must be completed by June 30, 2019.

Additionally, RUSADA must undergo an audit within the next four months to test their compliance with the WADA code. WADA will continue to have independent experts at RUSADA's headquarters and on RUSADA's Supervisory Board for reports and audits.
So who wants to bet on the Ruskies meeting WADA's demands? A tragic accident maybe at the lab, like a fire or a flooding or a power failure, or maybe it's all on a laptop that gets stolen in Greece.
Recently acknowledged issues with the testing methodologies, inability to replicate the exact conditions in effect during testing, and Froome's failing kidneys mean the Ruskies must be reinstated, but otherwise WADA will bring the hammer down on PED users in sports worldwide, with conviction. :lol:

Some poor schlub (non-elite level) will be targeted now to be made an example of -- see, world, we (WADA) are on vigil and kicking a$$!
 
This is old news, but actually hasn't been cited in The Clinic yet
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/sports/olympics/world-anti-doping-agency-russia-cheating.html

Still, there did not appear to be an appetite to look deeper into Russia, especially after a new president came on board in 2014. His name was Craig Reedie, a longtime I.O.C. official who had been involved with WADA from the start. When Mr. Reedie took over as head of the agency, things changed, several staffers said.

At the same time, Russia began giving an extra donation to WADA, with no reason earmarked on WADA’s financial statements — an unusual move. In all, in the past three years, Russia has given an extra $1.14 million on top of its annual contribution, which was $746,000 in 2015. A spokesman for the agency confirmed Russia’s contributions and said countries that choose to make additional donations had never received special treatment.

Mr. Reedie, a Scot who once led the international badminton federation, was a smooth and popular leader in the political world of the Olympics.
In antidoping circles, he is not regarded as an aggressive crusader.
We’re not going to turn to people and say, ‘These are the rules; obey them,’” Mr. Reedie said in the lounge of the five-star Lausanne Palace hotel in Switzerland this month.
So Reedie says that WADA can't actually tell anyone there are rules to obey, and Russia was giving unexplained extra payments to WADA of about $400,000 / year. I didn't know about those payments, that is what was most striking about the NYT investigation
How about the current WADA finances, how much is Russia paying? Did they withdraw all payments during the ban, or what...

BBC also has this breaking news
Russia doping ban: Wada tried to help Rusada lift ban in May
https://www.bbc.com/sport/45582770

says Olivier Niggli is responsible for negotiating this with the Russians three months ago
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/who-we-are/governance/compliance-review-committee
Jonathan TAYLOR QC (Chair)
United Kingdom

Henry GOURDJI (Vice Chair)
Canada

Tom DIELEN
Belgium

Barbara LEISHMAN
Switzerland/UK

Beckie SCOTT
Canada

Bente SKOVGAARD KRISTENSEN
Denmark
(EDIT - see Beckie Scott has resigned https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/trackandfield/beckie-scott-wada-russian-doping-agency-1.4825469
The move comes after that six-person committee recommended on Friday that the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) be reinstated.
)


The Seychelles huh? Chosen for it's high profile sporting prowess? :rolleyes:

The Swedish anti-Doping Agency has put it's name on the USADA proposal to keep RUSADA suspended
https://www.usada.org/anti-doping-leaders-urge-wada-to-postpone-russian-reinstatement/
We cannot understand or accept that the simple fact that the two remaining conditions – regarding Russian acceptance of the McLaren Report and access for WADA to the Moscow laboratory – remain unfulfilled, and yet WADA’s leading compliance body is recommending the reinstatement of a country that perpetrated the worst doping system ever seen in international sport.
...This statement was made by anti-doping leaders from around the world, including: Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
in Swedish at
https://www.dn.se/sport/sverige-emot-att-erkanna-rysslands-antidopningsbyra/
Ha ha...Seychelles. Obviously chosen for its central location, cheap accomodation, good transport links and easy accessibility :lol:

I wonder who picks up the tab....
 
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/21/wada-head-russia-reinstatement-triumph-money-over-clean-sport
David Howman, who ran Wada from 2003 to 2016 and is now the head of the Athletics Integrity Unit, strongly criticised the president, Sir Craig Reedie, for caving in to pressure from the International Olympic Committee and sports federations eager to stage events in Russia again.

“I am a little disappointed, to say the least,” Howman said. “This looks like they have taken the decision to deviate from a carefully put-together roadmap for entirely pragmatic reasons. Wada has gone from being an organisation that cared about clean athletes to one that cares about international federations that have not been able to stage events in Russia: it’s money over principle. That is a quite a difference, quite a swing, from what Wada once was.”
...
Instead of Russia having to acknowledge its doping was state-sponsored and grant unconditional access to the Moscow laboratory’s data and stored samples before reinstatement (in line with the mutually-agreed “roadmap to compliance” Howman referred to), it now only has to admit that “certain individuals” were to blame, and the lab access comes with conditions and a new timetable. Like many in the anti-doping community, Howman is at a loss to understand why Wada has agreed to this.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - that's why!
 
^^not just money, but IMO members of WADA, IOC et al are scared of Russian hacking (as perhaps they should be!). Perhaps some not so subtle digital threats were delivered.

We've seen what Russian cyberwarriors can do if they put their mind to it, just ask the US Democratic party...there was no way they'd bring the hammer down on Russian athletics federation.
 
Re:

Bolder said:
^^not just money, but IMO members of WADA, IOC et al are scared of Russian hacking (as perhaps they should be!). Perhaps some not so subtle digital threats were delivered.

We've seen what Russian cyberwarriors can do if they put their mind to it, just ask the US Democratic party...there was no way they'd bring the hammer down on Russian athletics federation.


Sponsorship makes up 45% of IOC funding so ... no scandals please!
 
I wonder why people give some much creedence to the utterings of Travis Tygart,USADA and any American Sporting Organisation - They have a track record of hiding positive tests and giving soft penalties - And the athletes who cry crocodile tears is amazing - It's like they are purer than white snow.
 
Re:

yaco said:
I wonder why people give some much creedence to the utterings of Travis Tygart,USADA and any American Sporting Organisation - They have a track record of hiding positive tests and giving soft penalties - And the athletes who cry crocodile tears is amazing - It's like they are purer than white snow.
Good point. Travis Tygart is a fraud. Look at the recent Jon Jones decision.
 
Re:

Bolder said:
^^not just money, but IMO members of WADA, IOC et al are scared of Russian hacking (as perhaps they should be!). Perhaps some not so subtle digital threats were delivered. We've seen what Russian cyberwarriors can do if they put their mind to it, just ask the US Democratic party...there was no way they'd bring the hammer down on Russian athletics federation.
Craig Reedie and RusADA director Yuri Ganus, at the meeting with WADA in Lausanne :



Happy times are here again... "I knew you'd come to see it my way, old buddy..." Bolder could be right about the компромат, because it's like a fine art in Russia, of political blackmail to collect damaging information on rivals, a kind of gamesmanship in itself. When I was living in Russia I often had the unnerving feeling that things at the depths are not what they seem to be on the surface, legality may be optional for a certain hidden elite and rules of society are barely holding things together. Like some places I went, I was told explicitly are "not for ordinary Russians, this is for special Russians" and some of the guys were just mafia operating in plain sight, with their entourage of bodyguards and kept women. (Side note: The BBC photo shows the Russian delegation sent some foxy ladies to Switzerland, although it's crass to say so I kind of doubt that WADA has equally glamorous staff overseeing their testing labs, as RusADA)
So with Fancy Bears and all the hacks, WADA and IOC kind of know that Russians have stolen some information, but they're not sure exactly what. The Fancy Bears was fairly superficial damage because most of the TUE's were boring, but it still blew up to be a huge scandal in the western media. So what if, there were something even worse out there which is being held back? And that's the essence of компромат, in my understanding - show your rivals some of the cards in your hand, and keep them guessing about the rest
Russia Ignores Four WADA Requests To Test Its Moscow Laboratory
RusADA’s new head, Yuri Ganus, insisted his organisation had made changes. But when asked why it was not acknowledging the McLaren report, he replied: “It’s not a question that depends on us . . . it’s about negotiation.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/russia-ignores-four-wada-requests-to-test-its-moscow-laboratory-1.3435676
That's just speculation, so it will be more important to take a look at the finances of Russian cash contribution to WADA, before, during, and after the ban. Like the New York Times investigation implied
 
Russia don't dope in the same way they don't carry out assassinations in foreign countries and never make death threats to whistle blowers who take off like their house was on fire. Tygart has done more good than bad and not many so called anti dopers can say that much. Russia's problem has been making the cheating so blatant. If they were smarter they would have sailed through the system like the Jamaican track and field team. If you are going to have a nationalized doping system you have to cover all the bases re payoffs and corruption.but of course there will always be some whistle blowers running for their lives.............
 
Sounds like some "mansplaining" went on at WADA's meeting - Beckie Scott's reason for resigning -

https://www.bbc.com/sport/45840481
Wada's all-important 12-person executive committee then held a meeting in the Seychelles to formally approve Russia's reinstatement.

It was there, Scott claims, as she made a presentation, that she faced "upsetting" comments by some of the members representing the Olympic movement "definitely designed to denigrate, to belittle... and to bully".

"I felt an intense amount of pressure going into that meeting. There was laughter when I read out the list of athlete committees who were confronting the decision [over Russia]," she said.

"At the time it was upsetting, and on reflection it's a tactic, a manoeuvre and born out of a long-standing belief that athletes don't have to be part of this conversation."

Scott says she was "disappointed" neither Wada's president Sir Craig Reedie or director-general Olivier Niggli stepped in at the time.

"There was no confrontation or challenging of that behaviour at the time it took place," she said.

"I think it's indicative of the leadership of Wada's alignment with the Olympic movement."

...
Reedie said some athletes did not fully understand Wada's intentions, a suggestion Scott described as "quite offensive".
...
Analysis

Beckie Scott is the nearest thing the Olympic and Paralympic athlete community has to a figurehead.

A highly respected former IOC member, and the most senior athlete representative inside Wada, her explosive claims will be highly damaging for Wada's beleaguered leadership as it faces an unprecedented backlash from western athletes over its decision to reinstate Russia.

With some critics suggesting Wada lacks the independence from the Olympic movement to be fit for purpose, this will only add to the pressure that the regulator is now under. Especially a week after the US indicted seven Russian spies for hacking in connection with the alleged hacking of Wada officials.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
Sounds like some "mansplaining" went on at WADA's meeting - Beckie Scott's reason for resigning -
Not necessarily sexism, but bullying and mockery of anyone who doesn't realize that WADA is a joke. She was naive enough to think there would be some serious purpose to the meeting about Russia, when it had already been decided, and athletes themselves have no say in the matter
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts