• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WADA reaction: Fahey implies Phat should step down

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hasn't hit CN yet, but i assume it will soon.
WADA demand UCI assume responsibility and implicitly urge Phat to stand down.
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/a...t-konsequenzen-beim-weltverband-a-862835.html

"Der Radsport kann seine Glaubwürdigkeit nicht wiederherstellen und kein neues Vertrauen gewinnen, wenn die verantwortlichen Personen bei der UCI sich diese Fragen nicht stellen und keine Konsequenzen für sich und ihren Verband daraus ziehen."

"Cycling cannot restore its credibility if those responsible at the UCI do not draw proper consequences for themselves"

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
People need to stop throwing generalised comments at the UCI if they want to make a change - anything thrown at "those in charge at the UCI" is simply deflected by Pat onto Hein at the moment. Let's have a few of these people calling for resignations remind us that Cycling Pat was still pretty high up at the UCI at the time of all this, and his subsequent rise and inaction make his just as bad as Heiny.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
People need to stop throwing generalised comments at the UCI if they want to make a change - anything thrown at "those in charge at the UCI" is simply deflected by Pat onto Hein at the moment.

Yes and no. You are right, but Pat is the public face of UCI to the s**t will stick anyhow.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm puzzled about how Phat is getting away with shoving responsibility onto Hein. For god sake, Phat was president:
- during Armstrong comeback 2.0,
- when Bruyneel and Lance continued their conspiracy under sponsorship of Astana and Radioshack
- when the Contador-positive was being covered up (Hajo Seppelt yesterday reminded us of this on German television)
- when Landis/Jaksche and some others came clean but weren't heard by the UCI
- Vrijman report (? not sure, was that under Phat's presidency?)
- several other dubious ****

thaf*ck?

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
And the piece preceding sniper's quote in Der Spiegel, one of the leading German newspapers:

"There was a time when doping was a part of it for every rider. And when doping is that widespread, one must ask the question "who should have stopped this? Who took action against this? Why did it not stop?"

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Does Fahey believe McQuaid should continue to sit on WADA's executive committee?

The way testing is done/high profile in cycling it needs a UCI representative on WADA, no? In Wada's interest to have?

But clearly not McQuaid.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
There is a suggestion on twitter that a letter writing campaign be directed to Management Committee members in advance of the UCI meeting on Friday. While I think this is generally a “not bad” idea, I think it will be wholly ineffective.

Take a look at who the members of the Mgt Committee are, they have come through their country organizations and have the laying on of hands by the UCI.

What we need to focus on is actual change. For me, I know that the national cycling federation get a large chunk of their funding from the federal government and I will be starting the campaign to turn that tap off.

Also, we need to start putting the pressure on our local and supra-local cycling bodies to pressure for changes.

WADA need to be hearing from cycling fans as well. Expressing our disgust with the current state of affairs and the willful blindness of the UCI to the problems of doping in cycling.

The IOC need to start hearing the call, loud and clear, that we want change at UCI. The IOC don’t frankly care if there is doping in sport, they just don’t want controversy. Let’s give them controversy.

Finally, we should be pressing to have the UCI excluded from the IOC and the games.

These may be painful changes, but frankly they are the only way I see ANY change in the UCI. Their game right now, is to pull the covers up and ride the storm out as if everything is better. In fact it’s worse, and we have been seeing the evidence of that the last couple of days.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
purcell said:
The IOC need to start hearing the call, loud and clear, that we want change at UCI. The IOC don’t frankly care if there is doping in sport, they just don’t want controversy. Let’s give them controversy.

The IOC and FIFA are just as corrupt as the UCI. These international organizing bodies are little more than excuses for old rich guys to get gifts and go on vacation. As long as money is coming in from sponsors and advertisers, they won't change a thing and will continue to look the other way.
So while I'm sad to see Rabobank go, it seems to that sort of action is more likely to result in change than any kind of protest to the IOC.