• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

wanna ask Wiggins about doping

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd ask whose idea it was for he and his wife to stop using twitter, and why he said in an interview he had given up alcohol a year ago, but tweeted about drinking and hangovers after Braveheart and other events. I've got nothing against a guy partying in the off-season, but when they contradict their own Internet postings to convince people they're leading virtuous lives, and will deserve amazing results, I come down with a bad case of Armstrongitis.

A

Anonymous

I think live web chat is a bit misleading. Hes just answering a few questions that he gets to pick. Very lame.

I cant be arsed to register.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gonna post his answers here for posterity......:rolleyes:

RickChasey - Bradley. In terms of the mental side of your Tour ride in 2010, vs 2009, what do you think was different? Do you think the mental side of your ride was the side that perhaps limited your achievements in the 2010 tour? Or was it purely to do with the physiology and the way your build up to the tour contributed to that?

Wiggins - It was more to do with the physiological side in 2010. In 2009 I was more relaxed; this year I was too anal - I was obsessed with my bodyweight, not having a drink before the tour, things like that when I should have just continued to do what I did in 2009.

p1976 - what do yo think of the fact that newspapers and sport bullettins on tv and radio in the uk and ireland consistently ignore cycling, for example this years tour of spain was a great race yet it got absolutely no coverage except on eurosport highlighs yet cycling is getting ever more popular as an amateur sport, do you think the UCI is not promoting races correctly or what the reason is, the tour de france is the only race that gets decent coverage

Wiggins - Would disagree with you here p1976 - from what I've seen cycling in the UK gets a fair bit of press attention. Obviously it's not at the level you see on the continent but the increased British participation has definitely generated more of an interest.

harcourtowisp - Baring in mind your fabulous track pedigree wouldn't concentrating on the one-day classics best suit your riding style - rather than grand tours? Whatever the answer the very best wishes for further successes in 2011 - you're a true hero Bradley!

Wiggins - Possibly yes, but the biggest thing is time. You can't spread yourself too thin - cycling is so competitive you need to concentrate on one or two things a year and I simply don't have the time to concentrate on one-day racing and besides I'm paid to concentrate on the Tour. Incidentally, my favourite classic: the Paris - Roubaix.

ammo - Looking at the 2011 Tour de France route, it seems to be (if anything) even tougher and more mountainous than the 2010 route. Do you think the balance has shifted too much towards the pure climbers with these type of routes, and what is your goal in terms of OC for the Tour next year? Have a great off-season, and look forward to following you in 2011!

Wiggins - Yes, I agree. But the Tour de France is always difficult and with the Tour you always know there is going to be mountains. But it's the same for everyone, and it is what it is and we have to prepare as best as possible but we have to prepare as best as possible and see what happens. But that's the challenge. I haven't finalised how we'll go about preparing for 2011 but it will probably consist of a classic TdF build up - ie Dauphine Libere and at this stage it looks like we will experiment with altitude training, something we haven't done before, as there are several high stages in next year's tour. But I definitely won't be doing the Giro - that's where it started going wrong this year. It was just too gruelling and too close to the Tour.

jimmyla

1. Robert Millar was our other successful tour cyclist in recent years. IIRC he had a few good technical points about your climbing. Why not bring him into the coaching set up? Yes, but at the same time I'm at risk of having too many people advising me what to do.

2. The tour de france was seen as the be all and end all last year and the classics/ giro not given the respect they are due by sky and the UK media. The giro looks spectacular next year, why not give it a go and miss the tour? No, the Tour is still the biggest in my eyes ...

3. How will Cav get on next year will the new sprint rules in the tour (a mid stage sprint with lots of points associated with it) No idea - one for Cav when he does a Guardian web chat!

4. Michael Rogers looks a fantastic signing for sky - is he competition for you within the team? Yes, agree. He will strengthen us no end. I think Michael's ambitions have changed slightly and he will concentrate more on the week-long races.

5. Should David Millar should be sports personality of the year? - All the major tours, The fun and games in the tour de france and then performing fantastically in the worlds and commonwealth. The man's as hard as nails! Yeah, I agree. He should be.

6. Are you coming to Oman next year? No, but I will be in Qatar.

1) People gave Team Sky a hard time for not breaking all records in their first season which was a little harsh, but the tactics did seem a little "off" at times. I know it is very hard to get it right all the time - but criticism has been levelled at the DSs. Do you think this is fair and do you think this is a direct consequence of trying to run a clean team and the fact there is a missing "generation" of riders? Is the criticism of Team Sky fair? It depends what way you look at it. Perhaps we set ourselves up this year by telling the world what we wanted to achieve but it was a new team but our goals will always remain the same. And whether we succeed or fail they will always be in the public eye because of the amount of publicity the team generates. But at the end of the day it's sport, which is why we do it ...

2) The Dogma looks incredible, but you had some "weight" shaving issues last year - have these been resolved? Also, so I can give my own opinion, can you ride dead slowly at the IGMarkets thing so I can win one? Yeah, the Dogma is probably the best bike I've had in 15 years of racing. It's strong, reliable, looks good but overall the performance remains the same throughout the season and is built to do the job. It's a great bike.

3) Glad to see you're back on twitter. As cycling comes ever more popular are you worried that the media seizing on every little word will make cyclists far less likely to speak their mind and lead to a dumbing down of the sport? Twitter hasn't changed me but at the same time you have to really think about what you say on there. When I first got on Twitter you could say things off the cuff but now you do have to be careful ...

zakstarchild - Bradley. Huge respect to you - on and off the bike. Cheers for all of it, especially the lamb chops and good luck for next season. Would you like to see the profile of the Tour of Britain raised to the level of a Grand Tour? If so, how should they do it, and what time of year could it be, and if not, why not? Have you got Secret Affair - Time for Action on your ipod for pre-racing mood setting?

Wiggins - Is it wrong of me to plug my new book here? My book publicist says check p108-109. But it's all the tracks you would expect, The Jam, Joy Division etc, etc

scortenraad - Do you regret your statement from last year that new Sky team are Man Utd and Garmin were Wigan? Thanks and good luck for next year

Wiggins - No I don't regret it. What I said about Wigan was taken in the wrong light. Let me explain something to you: I live near Wigan, my wife was born in Wigan. My wife's family are born-and-bred Wiganites for generations back. And, as you can guess, Wigan is well and truly part of my family. I said that the difficulty of leaving a team like Garmin, where I had lots of friends and success, was the equivalent of a footballer leaving a club they loved but ultimately had to for career choices (ie leaving Wigan for a team like Manchester United). I'd love a team like Wigan to win the Champions League ... but realistically it's not going to happen.

expro - What do you think is the credible clean "ceiling" for power to weight ratio at FT?

Wiggins - I can only base this on what I do but a week before the TDF this year I was at 6.3 power to weight (watts per kilo). By the way I didn't measure it in 2009 ...

ericthegod - Bradley, taking Eddy Merckx and Lance Armstrong out of the equation, who else would you say is greatest ever Tour de France rider, and do you have any particular heros or idols?

Wiggins - Miguel Indurain.

FSTrueman - If you could recruit one rider from today's pro peloton to Team Sky, who would it be? And why?

Wiggins - David Zabriskie. Amazing sense of humour, doesn't take life too seriously and is a great guy to have around. He's an amazing bike rider too.

FSTrueman- Who's the nicest guy in the peloton, the one absolutely everyone likes?

Wiggins - Hmm, trying to think. Thor Hushovd probably.

FSTrueman- If you weren't a cyclist but could be a professional sportsman in another sport, what would it be?

Wiggins - Tricky one, not sure actually ...

mrajhowarth - Wiggo, do you think it's cool to refer to yourself in the third person? mrajhowarth thinks it's not cool. It's a bit weird.

Wiggins - Bradley Wiggins would never refer to himself in the third person **joke**

scavenger - how hard are you training this month?

Wiggins - 15 hours a week, half of which is road bike, half of which is on the mountain bike for the intensity. This week is an adaption week, I'm getting back into the swing of things.

TheNarrative - Brad - I'll echo others here in saying that you're an inspiration, I fact, even though I'm a runner, I often think of you - in a non homo-erotic sense - when I'm struggling mentally. I'd ask how good a runner you are, and if running would be of hindrance or help to your Tour training? And I'm also interested in how your resting heart rate differs between on/off season and your training Music of Choice. Good luck with the training, though I'm sure there's no luck to it.

Wiggins - It's good that people think of me in that sense. It's what I'm here for. Whatever lights your candle. As for the running, I don't use it as part of my training at the moment - the impact on my joints is too severe - but when I retire it's something I definitely want to get into it.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
That expro fellow laid in strong!

What would the idea behind hyperventilating before a tt be? It certainly doesn't make any sense from my point of view.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
That expro fellow laid in strong!

What would the idea behind hyperventilating before a tt be? It certainly doesn't make any sense from my point of view.

I am he.....

Nice to see Brad only answering the obvious, easy and terminably dull questions.

Naively I thought this might be a chance to bypass sycophantic "my living depends on access" journalists and put a rider on the spot.... ha ha ha

instead we get all the usual "how do you train?" BS from fanboys....

some guy even asked what bike to buy....

I guess journalists actually are playing to the crowd when they only ask the banal and vacuous.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
more Omerta talk

joeshmo. Hi Brad. I know you are a tour history aficienado. Who has been the best Tour rider to date bearing in mind the war effecting fausto and lemond's gun shot wounds etc etc

Wiggins - Eddy Merckx.

RobbyBobson - Bradley, if you have any intention to cycle at the 2012 olympics, would it be back to the track for the 2012 Olympics? Or would you stick to the road? Also, if you were going pint for pint with the rest of the TdF peloton, who would fall under the table first...and who would be the one going off for a kebab at 4am?

Wiggins - Yes, definitely have plans for 2012. It's less than two years away now. Myself and Geraint are back in the track squad this winter with a view to riding the World Cup this Februrary.

Re: your second question. Definitely the ones you'd least expect to. First under would be Mark Cavendish, last under would probably be someone like Carlos Sastre.

Jurach - Hi Brad, thanks for all the entertainment you've given us over the years. If you didn't think you could win the Tour would you still do it?

Wiggins - It's not just about winning for me. It's about seeing how much I can get out of myself - whether that equates to a win, or fourth-place, it's about pushing yourself to your limits and finding out what you can do. Sometimes it blows up like in this year's Tour, but sometimes you surprise yourself, like in 2009.

Most sportsman are unsure what they are capable of until their career is over because you are always pushing to see how far you can go. And sometimes you go too far: I think a classic example in sport is boxers who continue to take on fights when they shouldn't, because it only takes one punch to change everything.

AlternativeTentacles - Why sky, Bradley? You were a hero of mine until i saw you advertising that wrinkly tosser Murdoch evil empire.

Wiggins - Why Sky? Basically for the last 13 years I've been under the guidance of Shane Sutton and Dave Brailsford, who have both been with me through three Olympic Games and who subsequently set up their own pro-team. For me there was no question that, after finishing fourth in 2009, that I wanted to be with with them. For me it was like returning home.

And as for Rupert Murdoch ... he's actually a nice bloke. You should come and have a pizza with us one day.

i cant be bothered posting anymore of his answers. Suffice to say for me the Omerta is alive and well if you read anything into the fanboy answers he has given and ignored the serious questions about the sport. About feathering his bed while he can i suppose. About as interesting as reading a Take that interview in a teen magazine.

Merckx and Indurain over LeMond. Wiggins is more a doper than not if you ask me.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Nice to see Brad only answering the obvious, easy and terminably dull questions.

For some reason I have a mental image of a PR person sitting next to him, guiding his hand.

Tere were some interesting - and, IMO, fair - questions ignored that were far more meaty than the questions he answered.

Steve

Benotti69 said:
more Omerta talk

i cant be bothered posting anymore of his answers. Suffice to say for me the Omerta is alive and well if you read anything into the fanboy answers he has given and ignored the serious questions about the sport. About feathering his bed while he can i suppose. About as interesting as reading a Take that interview in a teen magazine.

Merckx and Indurain over LeMond. Wiggins is more a doper than not if you ask me.

Merckx over Lemond isn't reasonable?
The greatest ever cyclist versus the second most successful American :rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
expro - What do you think is the credible clean "ceiling" for power to weight ratio at FT?

Wiggins - I can only base this on what I do but a week before the TDF this year I was at 6.3 power to weight (watts per kilo). By the way I didn't measure it in 2009 ...

Anyone actualy believe he didnt know his power figure in 2009??:rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Merckx over Lemond isn't reasonable?
The greatest ever cyclist versus the second most successful American :rolleyes:

yeah, but the way wiggins used to slam dopers i hoped he would say LeMond, but the teamsky PR was most likely doing the typing...

A

Anonymous

oh it was pants. nowhere near a live chat, although I thought his explanation of the wigan thing was in fact very good. Maybe people will let up on that one now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
oh it was pants. nowhere near a live chat, although I thought his explanation of the wigan thing was in fact very good. Maybe people will let up on that one now.
nah, Wigans lives, and will always live.

Long live Brad Wigans.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Somehow I doubt saying "LeMond" would have been a PR disaster...

Not everything has to do with doping.

when Wiggins mouthed off about doping and then rolls over and makes like an omerta pussycat it does leaves questions and today when a lot of questions were asking about doping and his thoughts on contador, we got a pop band type answer ignoring any serious questions. what load of corporate pr BS.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The only interesting thing for me was Wiggins saying his FTP this year was 6.3W/kg. If Wiggins was at 6.3 and getting killed in the mountains what the hell is Contador and Schleck at, 7W/kg?? I was under the impression that anything over 6 was suspicous.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Lemond said either 6.2/6.3W/kg was the limit. Wiggins himself said that he didn't have the form and said that he struggled at altitude.

But that is just excuses. There are always a lot of smoke and mirrors with him and you never know what he means.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
nah, Wigans lives, and will always live.

Long live Brad Wigans.

for such a fanboy you can't even spell his name right. It is spelt W I G G I N S
his wife comes from W I G A N.

glad to have saved you from further embarrassment.;)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
for such a fanboy you can't even spell his name right. It is spelt W I G G I N S
his wife comes from W I G A N.

glad to have saved you from further embarrassment.;)

Wigans will remain Wigans on this forum untill he recants his statements from last year

TRENDING THREADS