Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems a bit overkill from Sunweb's part.

1. Wasn't Barguil supposed to have a free role in this Vuelta?
2. There was someone (Oomen) with Kelderman, so it wasn't as if he was left completely on his own.
3. How can they know Barguil won't help Kelderman if *** really hits the fan?
 
I disagree.

Barguil got what he wanted in the Tour, total freedom and full support. He signed for Fortuneo, fair enough. STILL, Sunweb sent him to the Vuelta, they could have decided not to as he signed for another team as so many other teams do. But they didn't, because they always worked together well.

Sunweb's goal in the Vuelta was clear, Kelderman. Barguil knew this as well and agreed to this as well before getting selected. Then during the Vuelta, he finds he has good legs, and yesterday decided he wants to go his own way. Sunweb asks why he doesn't wait for Kelderman when he flatted. And it's clear, he wants to go his own way in the Vuelta with attacking in the mountains, he doesn't agree on staying with Kelderman. So Sunweb has no other choice then to boot him out.

This is Barguil's own damn fault and a really bad way to thank the team for supporting him all this time and even allowing him a Vuelta spot.
Barguil made it clear what kind of a character he is, and it isn't nice.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I disagree.

Barguil got what he wanted in the Tour, total freedom and full support. He signed for Fortuneo, fair enough. STILL, Sunweb sent him to the Vuelta, they could have decided not to as he signed for another team as so many other teams do. But they didn't, because they always worked together well.

Sunweb's goal in the Vuelta was clear, Kelderman. Barguil knew this as well and agreed to this as well before getting selected. Then during the Vuelta, he finds he has good legs, and yesterday decided he wants to go his own way. Sunweb asks why he doesn't wait for Kelderman when he flatted. And it's clear, he wants to go his own way in the Vuelta with attacking in the mountains, he doesn't agree on staying with Kelderman. So Sunweb has no other choice then to boot him out.

This is Barguil's own damn fault and a really bad way to thank the team for supporting him all this time and even allowing him a Vuelta spot.
Barguil made it clear what kind of a character he is, and it isn't nice.
Well he's always made clear what his goals were for the Vuelta even before the Tour.
 
What is the difference between Barguil being sent home and Barguil not helping Kelderman out? None. So why not let him stay in the race do his own thing without support of teammates. Something is better than nothing and anyway he is leaving the team. Also both the guys were considerably down on the GC with a top ten the best hope
 

axl

Aug 19, 2017
55
0
0
Surprising decision. There may have been more than tactical indiscipline. I think he reacted badly when the team wanted its explanation after the race.

It was rather stupid for Barguil not to help Kelderman. He wants to win stages, he couldn't yesterday, and so helping Wilco should not have been a problem.
 
May 28, 2014
203
0
0
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
What is the difference between Barguil being sent home and Barguil not helping Kelderman out? None. So why not let him stay in the race do his own thing without support of teammates. Something is better than nothing and anyway he is leaving the team. Also both the guys were considerably down on the GC with a top ten the best hope
Because they are a team. Can't have rides deciding their own tactics.

If they let Barguil do what he wants, what's to stop Oomen deciding he wants to ride for himself too? And Haga, and Hamilton. And in every race that's still ahead.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I disagree.

Barguil got what he wanted in the Tour, total freedom and full support. He signed for Fortuneo, fair enough. STILL, Sunweb sent him to the Vuelta, they could have decided not to as he signed for another team as so many other teams do. But they didn't, because they always worked together well.

Sunweb's goal in the Vuelta was clear, Kelderman. Barguil knew this as well and agreed to this as well before getting selected. Then during the Vuelta, he finds he has good legs, and yesterday decided he wants to go his own way. Sunweb asks why he doesn't wait for Kelderman when he flatted. And it's clear, he wants to go his own way in the Vuelta with attacking in the mountains, he doesn't agree on staying with Kelderman. So Sunweb has no other choice then to boot him out.

This is Barguil's own damn fault and a really bad way to thank the team for supporting him all this time and even allowing him a Vuelta spot.
Barguil made it clear what kind of a character he is, and it isn't nice.
Agreed. Sunweb might lose out on a stage win or two in the short term, but it sends a message and is probably a good move by management in the long run.

Barguil won a lot of hearts in July including mine, but now it was time to be a team player.
 
Dec 30, 2015
128
0
2,830
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
What is the difference between Barguil being sent home and Barguil not helping Kelderman out? None. So why not let him stay in the race do his own thing without support of teammates. Something is better than nothing and anyway he is leaving the team. Also both the guys were considerably down on the GC with a top ten the best hope
internal message to who else may think in deviate from team goals
 
“BARGUIL AND KELDERMAN LEAD TEAM SUNWEB AT VUELTA“

“Barguil, who lit up the Tour de France with his climbing skills on his way to winning the polka-dot jersey, will have plenty of opportunities in Spain. This year’s Vuelta is packed with summit finishes, including the brutal and legendary Angliru climb on the next-to-last day. Barguil will be looking to add to his two Vuelta stage wins from 2013.“

From the teams homepage. So i don't understand their reasoning at all.

Also from their homepage about Barguil :D :

“Barguil loves the good atmosphere in Team Sunweb. “We help each other, no matter what role you have in the team. The day after you’ve won a stage, you get water bottles for your teammates – that’s real team spirit.”“
 
On the other hand this confirms that riders have become just radio controlled units for the team to do with as they please. Their only job just to turn the pedals, all free thought must go out the window. I don't want cycling to go into that direction. Imagine if every teams sport becomes like this, you will see soccer/football players start to wear ear pieces and being instructed where to send the ball.
 
Jul 14, 2015
193
10
2,860
Re:

ppanther92 said:
“BARGUIL AND KELDERMAN LEAD TEAM SUNWEB AT VUELTA“

“Barguil, who lit up the Tour de France with his climbing skills on his way to winning the polka-dot jersey, will have plenty of opportunities in Spain. This year’s Vuelta is packed with summit finishes, including the brutal and legendary Angliru climb on the next-to-last day. Barguil will be looking to add to his two Vuelta stage wins from 2013.“

From the teams homepage. So i don't understand their reasoning at all.

Also from their homepage about Barguil :D :

“Barguil loves the good atmosphere in Team Sunweb. “We help each other, no matter what role you have in the team. The day after you’ve won a stage, you get water bottles for your teammates – that’s real team spirit.”“
I take the team webpage guff with a pinch of salt frankly. It is a team sport and Barguil went against it. Period. Off yer pop monsieur.
 
The stupid thing from Sunweb is to go all-in for Kelderman in the first place. I'd understand if he was a sure thing for a podium place or at least a top5. But he is not and he already lost some time. I have no problem with Kelderman being the leader but you can't have the whole team working for him. You need an alternative. I watched an interview with a Sunweb team member a couple of days ago and even he said that having two riders (Wilco and Warren) up there in the standings is a good thing for the team because it gives you more options going forward. And now suddenly they want Barguil to drop back and do domestic work. I don't think that's the right thing to do. Now I don't know what's going behind the scenes and what's been Barguil's behaviour. If it's been rude and inappropriate to the team now that's another story which I can't comment on.

And I really don't buy the "he's signed with another team so he should be happy he's even riding the Vuelta" theory. He's done tremendous publicity for the team lately and got fantastic result's for himself and the team. And this is what it'is all about. He want's to ride for himself? Fine. If he does well it's the team that benefits the most. He already has a contract for next year. But to be clear. The roles should have been defined before the start of the race. Wilco leader with everyone working for him except for Barguil who get's a free role. That's what Sunweb should have done IMO.
 
Clearly Barguil doesn't have confidence in Sunweb and by extension Kelderman's GC chances. Sunweb are free to do what they want but if they really did list WB as a co-leader and it came to this, then someone isn't managing their race right. OTOH, maybe Barguil was just being a jerk.

Personally I would have shut up and rode. One of my cycling dreams was to ride a grand tour and to see this crap is disheartening. If WB doesn't like being one of the top 10 stage race riders in the world right now, I can think of many other jobs for him.
 
There is a strong case that Barguil should have a free role in the mountains, because he represents the team's best chance of winning a stage there. But whether he is given one or not it's hard to justify refusing to help the team leader in a situation where the stage win is not a possibility. That sends a very negative message to the rest of the team about his attitude and will inevitably create resentment.
 
There is more to this than meets the eye but the message seems to be that Barguil does not want to do domestique work ...he wants to do his own thing

Now how realistic is that ?

Nearly every rider in the peloton bar Froome, Contador, Nibali & Quintana (Kittel, Cav, GVA,, even) do domestique work...riders of better calibre and better palmares than Barguil

I think there is arrogance here on Barguil's part.....but that happens when someone starts believing their own press

Sunweb would not send him home lightly ...they will get alot of hassle for the decision and teams tend to try and keep stars happy....Barguil must have tried their patience
 
Re:

hrotha said:
I think it's silly to have someone like Barguil babysit someone like Kelderman, but I don't think it's wrong to kick him out if he refused to do it either.
I couldn't agree with you more. The team webpage quoted above suggests that Sunweb also pretty much agrees. Having several options for the GC is a good thing...now what happens if/when Wilco tanks? On the other hand, it's a team sport, do what the DS says. Not negotiable. It takes "coronas" for a team to do that: they could end up with no GC success whatsoever. I don't believe in WK.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY