• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Makes you imagine what he will do when the Tour next year has 70+ ITT kilometers and Sunweb go for Dumoulin. Will he do Giro/Vuelta? Or be the best domestique Dumoulin could ever wish for? Or bnth?
The tour is organized by french for french

Re: Re:

swissfr said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Makes you imagine what he will do when the Tour next year has 70+ ITT kilometers and Sunweb go for Dumoulin. Will he do Giro/Vuelta? Or be the best domestique Dumoulin could ever wish for? Or bnth?

If Sunweb deems that the route is better suited for Dumoulin, they'll back Dumoulin. Not as if ASO can force teams to ride for their French riders.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
What an awesome rider, he has been my favourite French climber snce the 2015 Vuelta, but he had many crashes and bad luck, it's great to see him winning.
The guy's hard as nails, he finished the 2015 Tour with a hairline fracture in his knee (and still finished 14th on gc).

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Finally he is getting where he was supposed to go.
Honestly think he has a shot at outright winning the Vuelta this year if he goes for it after what he has shown this month.

Very impressive riding from Barguil. I hope he goes for GC in the near future. I wonder what he could have done this year if he'd targeted it. He sure seemed to be the strongest rider in the peloton, although, granted, he saved energy by not scrapping for time in non-climbing stages.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
swissfr said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

If Sunweb deems that the route is better suited for Dumoulin, they'll back Dumoulin. Not as if ASO can force teams to ride for their French riders.
The Long Time trial in the tour, it's over.

DFNSkR1XoAI_V0o.jpg

swissfr said:
RedheadDane said:
swissfr said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

The Long Time trial in the tour, it's over.
Yeah... Gouvenou wants to stay the course, from what I've read. No long TTs, but also fewer and fewer HC MTFs.

Maybe Barguil's stellar win on Izoard may cause him to re-think the latter. I for one miss the HC MTFs. To go from only 1 now to zero would be a shame.

I think the people hoping he targets the GC next are kind of not getting it. Barguil already rode some GTs for the GC for a couple of years. It didn't work for him. Most he could manage was a lackluster and forgettable top 10, and he stopped being the rider we knew and loved, and the rider this Tour has given us back. Let him ride like this forever and ever.

Re:

hrotha said:
I think the people hoping he targets the GC next are kind of not getting it. Barguil already rode some GTs for the GC for a couple of years. It didn't work for him. Most he could manage was a lackluster and forgettable top 10, and he stopped being the rider we knew and loved, and the rider this Tour has given us back. Let him ride like this forever and ever.

He obviously had the accident in 2016 and before that he was 23 or younger.

It was a pleasure to watch him this Tour, but he certainly needs to give GC another shot

I think he'd need a Tour like 1976, or 1986 (or 1926! There are other years, if someone wants to help with the history book), with multiple MTFs, but also low TT (unlike 86) to win a Tour. Though 2013 had a lot of climbing, and that didn't change things up that much. He's more likely to find something to his liking at a Giro or Vuelta.

The Tour organizers seem to be much less focused on MTFs, as there's more money in having a stage finish in a town after the last climb, and it's easier for fans to get to. It also insures that time splits are lower, so the GC race is close up to the final ITT - even if this comes at the cost of less interesting racing, where groups of GC riders, teams even, control the race to the final km of each day.

TRENDING THREADS