• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Making my CQ team before the season started I remember deciding to wait on taking Barguil, thinking he might need a season to adjust before he started getting the big results. I guess that was a mistake. :D

First year in the World Tour and in his first GT he already has 2 stage wins. And the competition he has had in those stage wins is by no means low level. He's already becoming one of my favorite riders. And he's showing himself to be a very strong rider, with great panache, and without a doubt a huge talent for the future.

Warren-Barguil-659x440.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros cant complain about Argos and it's inability in moutains now :D

Especially as Argos is adding more talents in that department, with Olivier, Haga and especially a very big talent in Craddock! :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Yup! :D
And yet he wasn't so reckless abandon that he tried to keep Uran behind him, and burned up doing so. When it became clear he'd be caught he kept it cool! :cool:

Reckless abandon to attack and go for the win combined with the intelligence and tactical sense to play it smart and sit in if your caught. That's a potent and potentially deadly combination. :cool:

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Where is Hitch? He took Barguil in his CQ team for vuelta, and i was thinking that the choice was only to cover the 9 rider requirement :(

I really liked the calm and collected way in which he dealt with Uran.
The only downside is that the other riders are going to watch him in the next season.

Gloin22 said:
Libertine Seguros cant complain about Argos and it's inability in moutains now :D

Especially as Argos is adding more talents in that department, with Olivier, Haga and especially a very big talent in Craddock! :D

As long as they don't hire Stapleton and stick him in Kittel's leadout train next season.

Still hate that team, just having a rider who is quite exciting to set apart from their usual tedious tedium doesn't change that, since any race he isn't in they'll just be trying to make it as boring as possible still. I like Rigo and Kiryienka, doesn't mean I can't dislike Sky at the same time.

Warren Barguil is truly impressing me:) He's the kind of breed that cycling must embrace & need to offset the current "robotic" approach. Hope he gets well developed & coached to improve more so we can get more wins from him.

Looking forward to this French promise:)

I did not think he would go well CQ wise because i thought riders like Slagter/ Gilbert/ and other puncheurs (which i thought he was- due to his L' Avenir win last year with shortened mountain routes) would stop him from winning.

Pleasantly surprised that he is going well in the mountains- congrats.

Visconti/ Costa better watch out- along with Voeckler.

Next year Ardennes/ TDF would be good.

Yeah, he has showed some real cleverness and patience in his two wins at the Vuelta. The first stage he won, I thought he may have gotten lucky, although I thought he worked well in the break and timed his attack very well. Today's win is kind of like a 'fool me twice' thing for me - it shows me that he's both strong and smart.

I really like the combination of enthusiasm of impetuous youth and cool consideration of one with a level head. After pushing the pace a couple of times in the break on the last climb, he went with 9k to go, and it looked like it might be a little impatient. But he knew he had the legs and got the lead. Then, when Uran came back with a km to go, he chilled out, stuck on his wheel, waited until the chasers were almost caught up but burnt out enough to not really provide a challenge, and then he sprinted vs. Uran. Impatience would have made him that few cm slower, and as he said, Uran's no 'sh*t rider'.

Attacks seemingly recklessly? Check.
Is strong enough to back it up? Check.
Is smart enough to know when to jump to win? Check.
Swears endearingly in English in a post-stage interview? Check.

Love this guy. I've liked the way Argos is organized as a team way more than I've liked the way they've raced in the last 2 years, so it's good to see someone electrifying on board.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
greenedge said:
Next year Ardennes/ TDF would be good.

no TdF, please. let him go to classics, one day races, and return to vuelta.

In the mean time, he can work on improving his climbing skills.

TdF is not good for a young french rider. some get lucky with a win, others are taunted for ever.

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Barguil is going to be very exciting going forward, and it is good he is not on a French team and may be saved some of the inevitable pressure all French riders get when they show promise and I think it scares the talent out of the rider and replaces it with a heavy burden of responsibility..

But this Vuelta has thrown up not just Barguil, but Ratto and Geniez. This Vuelta must be remembered for the youth shining bright and coming through rather than the old man who threatens to win it.
:D

Afrank said:
Reckless abandon to attack and go for the win combined with the intelligence and tactical sense to play it smart and sit in if your caught. That's a potent and potentially deadly combination. :cool:

I'd say you could argue that it was all a result of coolness of tactical sense! :p
Basically a case of:

"Hmm... my DS is telling me to take it easy. Last time he did that I won a stage, so I'll just attack!:D"

Trudgin said:
Barguil is going to be very exciting going forward, and it is good he is not on a French team and may be saved some of the inevitable pressure all French riders get when they show promise and I think it scares the talent out of the rider and replaces it with a heavy burden of responsibility.

Romain Bardet is on a French team and shines as bright as Barguil does (even more in my opinion). Romain Sicard is not on a French team and struggles to show his real potential. Both are together with Barguil, Démare and Pinot the biggest French talents of the last ten years.

It's funny to see how people notice Barguil only now. He destroyed the French scene on every mountain last year and crowned it with the Avenir win. His great potential was obvious.

I like it that he focuses by now only on stages, not on the GC. With jokes like Horner still being around he has no chances GC-wise anyway.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
According to Argos-Shimano DS Rudie Kemna, his tt abilities need some work, but are promising. I don't whether this statement is supported by shown talents or purely motivated by optimism, I haven't had time to follow the guy after his promising pre-professional results, but even if he does suck at time trialing, he could develop to become a very good rider.

I'm certainly going to pay attention to his schedule for the next season, to see how he develops. He could be a very interesting rider next year.

I hope he stays at Argos-Shimano, I think he'll get plenty of chances and opportunities there.

TRENDING THREADS